New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Where to start- choosing a reception site

I'm a not engaged yet knot member.  I'm starting to look around and get ideas for when the official planning time comes, but how do you start when looking for a location for a reception??  I'm looking in the hudson valley area, and one on the lower side of the Money Categories.  There are so many different options!!  Any suggestions on how and where to start?!?  Thank you so much!

Re: Where to start- choosing a reception site

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I encourage you to have an idea of what you 'envision'.  I was all about wanting it on the water, preferably with a bridge, and explored some of the clubs on the sound in Westchester, a few places on either side of the Hudson River and settled on Marina Del Rey, (with the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges in the background) on the water in the Bronx.  Depending on day and time, there's a lot of wiggle room on prices at all of the local places.

Plan a course of action and bounce the ideas off of all the ladies on here.  Everyone on here can suggest ideas, share experiences, and help you with specific info (ie pricing).

Enjoy not being engaged yet, for when it happens, life becomes a bit of a whirlwind, and planning can take over every thing else.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Melissa,

Don't take this the wrong way or that you shouldn't post or anything but you should wait to be engaged to start looking for venues. You need to discuss with your fiancee at that point your budget, and guest list and what exactly you're looking for. You really need both of those to have a venue search going. 

Don't think I'm trying to not have you post or anything, I love when new comers get here, I just think you need to wait to start looking for a venue. Please post in the meantime, and let us know about your relationship with your boyfriend and about you!

Jaimie

• Options
    mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Melissa, welcome to the board!

I agree with Jaimie... however, to answer your question- for me I started with location (Hudson Valley) and then created a tentative guest list.  Once I had that created, I was able to figure out how much I was willing to pay per person.  That pretty much narrowed down most venues for me..... price, location, size capacity.

HTH!  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would start by asking yourself:
    When do you want your wedding?
    What theme do you want (water, country, golf club)?
    Budget?
    # of Guests?

Some venues aren't open in the winter so that plays a huge role when looking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too agree with jaimie but there is a great magazine called Weddign Sites and Services that will give you alist of venues in the hudson valley and acheat sheet legend at the bottom concerning size and prices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Talk to your boyfriend to get an idea as to what he wants.

Wedding sites and services is a great magazine (and website). Also Locations magazine and www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com are good to to get an idea for what places are out there.

But find out what your guy has in mind and work from there. I wanted a traditional wedding. DH would have been happy to get married and go out to dinner. And I know that my younger brothers (and sister) want nothing to do with the type of supposedly "big" weddings that me and my sister have had recently.

So get an idea as to what he wants. And work from there. (And yes, get an idea as to how many people you might have)

When the time comes you will better prepared for all the options thrown at you! Enjoy it!

And if during the way you have a question about any venue don't hesitate to ask!

• Options
    sosweetmelisssosweetmeliss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards