Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Winter Wedding Venues

I am knew to the site, just got engaged.  I guess I am considered an "older" bride at 39!  We are trying to find an intimate venue for 75-85 guests.  I don't have a ton of money to spend but we are sort of set on a Sat night wedding.  

We are looking for a place in jan/feb (I know, I need to get this booked!!!).  Any suggestions? I'm finding most places have openings in winter, but still haven't found "the" place.  We are even looking at renting out restaurants, outside the box kind of stuff.  

Any suggestions are welcomed and needed! Thanks!

Re: Winter Wedding Venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are willing to go outside of Boston, it is obviously more of a cost saver for you. I have some South Shore recs if that works for you....

We got married last February at the Red Lion Inn in Cohasset --- we LOVED the location for a winter wedding --- it's like a barn. We had an amazing wedding day, the place looked great, food was to die for and our guests are STILL talking about it BUT their events team changed over 3x during our planning so it was a challenge for us. I have heard that things have gotten better in that department over the last year.

A few other unique winter South Shore options that would work for your numbers are the Barker Tavern (knottie Shazzie got married there in January) or the Atlantica.

GL...the ladies on this Board can be very helpful to you :)
  • Options
    winterclassicwinterclassic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A nice place might be Commanders mansion in Watertown. Its cozy and would fit your guest list I think!
  • Options
    crazybrittnicrazybrittni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should check out the Lyceum in Salem, MA. It's a restaurant that fits your numbers and is very reasonable. The events coordinator there, Kristin, is amazing and quick to respond. They have a second level that's devoted to events. The food is really good and the place is really great! I'm getting married there in two weeks :)
    November 10 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    My Planning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 87 Invited image 65 Attending image 18 Declined image 4 Unknown
    RSVP Date: October 12th
  • Options
    blaharnblaharn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married April 3, 2011 at The Villa at Ridder CC in East Bridgewater. We're doing it all indoors and are having about 80 guests. They are very reasonable, helpful, and the place is beautiful. We are using the Madera Ballroom, which has two fireplaces. Very cozy for a winter wedding! Check into it. They still had some Saturdays left in Feb when we booked last month.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you looking?  We had our reception at the Sandy Burr Country Club in Wayland (the do ceremonies too).  It's a great intimate venue.  Even in April, I was able to get off season discounts for the venue and the catering.  One thing, we did all our pictures outside, so you'll want to check to see if you like the indoor setting they have for pictures. 
  • Options
    amccarthy3amccarthy3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the Lyceum! The space has a great feel to it and is perfect if you are looking for something a little outside of the box
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, you guys.  Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's so great to be hear about others' experiences.  We are definitely more on the modern side (I have a weird aversion to floral carpets/curtains etc) so that is sometimes a challenge in New England!  We are casting a wide net - Boston, Rhode Island, NH, VT, but mostly I keep gravitating back to the Boston area.  

I also  go back and forth on going the rustic yet modern route (like the Red Lion, which DOES look awesome and I've heard so many raves about) or being straight up modern.  I did look into Belle Mer which looks gorgeous but I was SUPER disappointed with how I was treated.  They never called me back, just kept sending me generic email info about Peak season weddings when I repeatedly told them I wanted info on Winter.  And what they sent me was out of the stratosphere for what we are willing to spend.

Anyway, the search continues!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had 80 people at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, with a ceremony in the chapel and reception in the main dining room.  It's very charming (and looks lovely in the winter as well), the main dining room has a fireplace (we didn't have a fire lit, since it was a warm September day, but I imagine in the winter it would be lit), and they were fantastic to work with.  (I really need to get around to writing up my vendor reviews.)   The room minimum was 80, so it might be slightly less cost-effective if you end up a bit below that, but overall the value was fantastic for what we got.  If quaint New England charm is at all your cup of tea, it's worth checking out.

(p.s. We got married right before my 38th birthday - older's not such a big deal!)
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married in January at the Barker Tavern. We used the Williams Room and had ~150 guests, but the room is on the smaller side and is also good for an intimate gathering. I cannot tell you enough about the quality of service, the delicious food, and the atmosphere that the Barker creates. It's on Scituate Harbor and the Williams Room has a large stone fireplace (they'll have it going if you request it), wooden beams across the ceiling. But seriously, THE FOOD. Oh my goodness, it's amazing. We did a sit down dinner with 3 meal choices (Barker Swordfish, NY Sirloin, and Chicken Picatta) and everyone raved about their meals, no matter what they got. Their packages also include a cake from Konditor Meister, linens, tax and gratuity, and they offer an off-season discount (I think there's a minimum guest count on that though). 

Anyways, I highly recommend calling Becky Jordan-Smith there and inquiring! Good luck! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Living Room in the North End does weddings. It's a more moden space and on the smaller side.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SandaPandaSandaPanda member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are getting married at Zachariah's Dining Room in the Sheraton Four Points in Norwood in April 2011- and are also having about 90 people.  Mindy there is fantastic!!  I highly recommend them.  They have a lot of options for weddings of that size -you should call her!  The room is very cool!

http://www.fourpointsnorwood.com/zachariahs.html

• Options
    edited December 2011

Congradulations!  Your not so "old" I will be 48 when I get married.

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Teresa (and others!) who have noted that 39 is not so old :)
    I just find so many of these sites and discussions are geared toward brides a bit younger than me.  Or maybe just ones that are less patient than me! 
    Glad to see there's lots of you out there! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that our venue Christina's of Foxboro does smaller weddings. They also have the newly renovated restaurant next door. They were incredibly easy to work with and we had such a memorable wedding day! GL!

~erin~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely second the suggestion of the Atlantica.  That's where we're getting married this summer.  It's absolutely beautiful on Cohasset harbor.  And congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married at Danverpost yacht club.
    http://www.danversport.com/

They have the Lighthouse Room that is small but beautiful.  Hardwood floors, windows, overlooks the water.

They are fantastic to work with,
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_winter-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:2eab9a0c-2f02-4efa-8ef8-c6d6692f10fcPost:45850b63-6ce1-4346-90ed-855028b5f90e">Re: Winter Wedding Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're getting married April 3, 2011 at The Villa at Ridder CC in East Bridgewater. We're doing it all indoors and are having about 80 guests. They are very reasonable, helpful, and the place is beautiful. We are using the Madera Ballroom, which has two fireplaces. Very cozy for a winter wedding! Check into it. They still had some Saturdays left in Feb when we booked last month.
    Posted by blaharn[/QUOTE]

LOL I made it up but maybe!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards