Massachusetts-Boston

Gratuity questions...

I have two questions about giving gratuities.
1) Did you tip your tailor?  I'm paying a TON for alterations and she does own her own business.
2) My coordinator works for our reception venue.  Do I tip her?  Or do I tip the banquet manager on duty the night of my wedding?  Or both?  I do not have a separate "day of coordinator" from an outside agency.
10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!

Re: Gratuity questions...

• edited December 2011
    1) Since she owns her own business, I would say no, unless she did something above and beyond your expectations.

2) Is a gratuity charge included in the final cost? If so I don't believe you would need to tip them extra unless, again, you feel she provided you with exceptional service.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Gratuity is included but I thought that fee went to the waitstaff?  It's only 12.5% also, which I'm going to ask to increase to 15% since I don't think 12.5% is enough.  There's so much conflicting advice on wedding coordinators...some say tip $200, some say no tip, some say something in between.  I don't even know if she qualifies as a "wedding coordinator"..
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no to both

ETA
    I might add that I paid almost $450 for tailoring and it was not done well (much too tight and too long). And that I had major issues with my venue.
  • jay10jay10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not tip the co-ordinator.....but maybe a little thank you card and gift if you think she did a great job, maybe chocolates.....:) the grat definately goes to serving staff, not the co-ord but I am sure shes well paid for all the her work....

I might tip my tailor, tho they work for themselves its still a lot of work  -if not a tip maybe a thank you little gift
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on sending my seamstress at thank you gift for her work on my dress.. probably a photo thank you and a small gift card. As for my venue, nope, not tipping. They haven't gone above and beyond and there have been a few issues so IMO, they don't deserve anything extra.  
  • abilifymeabilifyme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm usually all about tipping, but I would not go so far as to tip the tailor. The venue coordinator, perhaps, but it depends on how they have gratuities organized.  I know for my sister's wedding, the tips were divied up among all the waitstaff, including the head coordinator (so there was no need for her to tip extra). 

Just my 2 cents.  GL!

"If I were your wedding, I'd be sleeping with one eye open... " - Bride Wars
  • nhnauticalnhnautical member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with CrazyMary77 - if they go above and beyond then yes, otherwise it isn't necessary.

Hope the alterations are great! Who are you using?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards