Massachusetts-Boston

Ring Appraisers

I still need to get my engagement ring appraised...anyone have any suggestions? Somewhere in the Greater Boston area?
Photobucket

Re: Ring Appraisers

• edited December 2011
    My ring was appraised by the store we purchased it at and our wedding bands were appraised at the store we bought them at (2 different stores). Any reputable store will be able to do it for you. I recommend Barmakian
  • edited December 2011
    Ahh...someone told me that you shouldn't get it appraised where you bought it because it was a conflict of interest. But if that's the norm, then I can go where it was bought. I will also check out Barmakian. Thank you!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Really? I've never heard that.

We have Jeweler's Mutual as our ring insurance and we wanted the e-ring covered ASAP. The appraisal was included in the ring's receipt, we didn't even have to ask for it. We had to ask for Barmakian to appraise the wedding bands though.
  • edited December 2011
    Just a note if you get your ring appraised by somewhere other than the store you bought it from, they might charge you a nominal fee. I had mine done at DePrisco and it was $50.
  • edited December 2011
    I would NEVER get jewelry appraised at a business that also sells jewelry.  Of course the jeweler is going to appraise what you bought at what you paid or even much higher (they want you to think you got a deal and what they're selling are deals!).  Absolutely look into an independent jewelry appraiser.  They're not selling anything so they will never give you a "mark up" appraisal on a piece you bring in.  I went to Metro Jewelry Appraisers in Medford.  Yes, there is a fee but paying it and being completely at ease made it worth it.  The appraiser told it to me straight (I had bought a ring in the Caribbean) and also gave me tips on shopping for next time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_ring-appraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:54bd7f88-6c95-4ea8-9729-3b4b5b691245Post:894f44ad-fcf5-46e4-8731-ac2fd8f361e7">Re: Ring Appraisers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would NEVER get jewelry appraised at a business that also sells jewelry.  Of course the jeweler is going to appraise what you bought at what you paid or even much higher (they want you to think you got a deal and what they're selling are deals!).  Absolutely look into an independent jewelry appraiser.  They're not selling anything so they will never give you a "mark up" appraisal on a piece you bring in.  I went to Metro Jewelry Appraisers in Medford.  Yes, there is a fee but paying it and being completely at ease made it worth it.  The appraiser told it to me straight (I had bought a ring in the Caribbean) and also gave me tips on shopping for next time.
    Posted by Biotechick620[/QUOTE]

Both my e-ring and my wedding band appraised for double what we paid. Not all jeweler's will treat thier customers this way.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Amy at A Matter of Brilliance in Newton. She charged $75 and my ring appraised for twice what we paid. I agree that the jewelry store has a conflict of interest.
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Hingham jewlers and it also appraised for more.  
  • slm.mddslm.mdd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Simms Jewlers in Reading, MA its one Main Street 781-944-4031 they were really good!  They know what they are talking about.  And I agree with getting it appraised where you bought it obviosly its a conflict of interest becuase they won't appraise it for lower what you paid for it
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! This gives me a lot to start with.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards