Massachusetts-Boston

Addressing Invitations

Ok so I know this has probably been asked many times but I can seem to find anything on it now. How is everyone addressing the inner and outer envelopes. I think my problem happens when I invite unmarried people. We aren't inviting many & guests, so everyone that is dating someone will have their significant other also on the invite. But should the Significant other only be on the inner envelope or both.
Is this right?

Outer : Ms. Susan Smith or Ms. Susan Smith & Mr John Jones
Inner: Ms Smith & Mr Jones
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Addressing Invitations

• edited December 2011
    Yes, if they are bringing a SO then the SO should appear on the inner envelope.
  • ARez726ARez726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is how I did it...whether it's right or not...who knows!  If Doug Funny and Patty Mayonnaise live together and are not married, then I addressed the outer envelope "Mr. Douglas Funny and Ms. Patty Mayonnaise" (actually it was one name on top of the other, alphabetically).  For the same situation, the inside envelope read "Doug and Patty" if they were my close pals and "Mr. Douglas Funny and Ms. Patty Mayonnaise" (all on one line) if they weren't so close.  However, if Doug was my friend and was dating Patty and they did not live together, then I addressed the outer envelope to Doug alone and the inside worked the same way as my previous example.  Never put "& guest" without making the effort to find out the person's name.  Hope that helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_addressing-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:6ad6e9b9-8e02-4128-b574-297919bc91a1Post:da22da68-ae1f-4e13-b799-4e7c995b3599">Re: Addressing Invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is how I did it...whether it's right or not...who knows!  If Doug Funny and Patty Mayonnaise live together and are not married, then I addressed the outer envelope "Mr. Douglas Funny and Ms. Patty Mayonnaise" (actually it was one name on top of the other, alphabetically).  For the same situation, the inside envelope read "Doug and Patty" if they were my close pals and "Mr. Douglas Funny and Ms. Patty Mayonnaise" (all on one line) if they weren't so close.  However, if Doug was my friend and was dating Patty and they did not live together, then I addressed the outer envelope to Doug alone and the inside worked the same way as my previous example.  Never put "& guest" without making the effort to find out the person's name.  Hope that helps!
    Posted by ARez726[/QUOTE]

Nothing to add except that I love the "Doug" references. I babysat a lot in the early-mid 90s and I watched a tonnnn of "Doug." lol
  • jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One note: don't use "and" unless they are married on the outer envelope, but it's okay to use on the inner envelope.  So if they aren't married, I'd do this:

outer

Ms. First1 Last1
    Mr. First2 Last2
    Address

inner

First1 & First2

HTH!
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!! I too love the Doug reference!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards