Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Tears of Joy Tissue yes/no?

I was thinking about attaching a little pocket to last page of my programs with:

If you shed a tear or two,

Here’s a tissue just for you.

So wipe away that happy tear

We are thankful that you are here!

** Also suitable for colds and allergies**

written above it.

Part of me doesn't want people wiping their eyes/noses with their sleeves (from crying or allergies) and thinks it's a cute little idea.  The other part of me isn't sure that it's too much... I think that's the part that added the last line.  I have no idea of the folks coming are criers or not...

Opinions?

Re: Tears of Joy Tissue yes/no?

• Options
    I wouldn't.  Few people actually cry at weddings.  And those who do will likely have brought tissues with them.
  • Options
    I think its a little odd really. And the PP is right, not many people cry at wedding and those that do will probably just bring their own tissues.

• Options

For more information you can come

http://wholesales-wedding-dresses.com/

• Options
    I'm a big crier, and always have tissues, but honestly, I think it's likely most guests won't use them, and I'd put that money into nice bathroom baskets or something instead.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    No.  I think they're silly and presumptuous beyond measure.  Sorry, but your wedding won't be so emotional for everyone that they'll be weeping:  joyfully or otherwise.

I apologize in advance for telling you that I'd laugh if I received one of these at a wedding, because I'd be amused that someone could get so suckered in by a blatant useless money waster.

things like "tears of joy" packets are what wedding marketers live for.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else - a giant no to tears of joy tissues.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think it's a little presumptuous.  People who are criers will bring tissue.  Not everyone will cry at  your wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tears-of-joy-tissue-yesno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:084aab8b-4094-46f2-adfe-13c1e07bdeedPost:082da3a2-0eef-493b-966d-a382533f22ea">Tears of Joy Tissue yes/no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about attaching a little pocket to last page of my programs with: If you shed a tear or two, Here’s a tissue just for you. So wipe away that happy tear We are thankful that you are here!   ** Also suitable for colds and allergies**   written above it. Part of me doesn't want people wiping their eyes/noses with their sleeves (from crying or allergies) and thinks it's a cute little idea.  The other part of me isn't sure that it's too much... I think that's the part that added the last line.  I have no idea of the folks coming are criers or not...  Opinions?
    Posted by bluebutterfli[/QUOTE]

JIC
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I think the comment about "also suitable for colds and allergies" is just insulting as can be.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I've cried at a couple of weddings, but never so messily that I felt I needed a tissue.  Hell, I cry at movies all the time, even unexpected ones (I cried through the last 15 minutes of Inception), but I've never used a tissue or a napkin for it or anything.  I'd be surprised if you had anyone crying so hard that they needed to clean up.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Why do you think people are going to use their sleeve?  

To me it seems like pressure to cry and if I don't cry the bride and groom will think there is something wrong with me.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sort of funny story:  on the way to my nephew's wedding,  my MIL realized that she had forgotten to bring tissues and said something to me.  So I handed her a couple that I had in my bag.

Turned out the wedding was such a holy mess filled with a comedy of errors that guests were pretty much watching in stunned silence.  Once the recessional was over, my MIL handed me back the tissues, saying fairly loudly "Well, you can have these back.  I certainly didn't need them for this!"
  • Options
    I'm not a crier, so I would sort of shrug at it.  Your money would be better spent on something else.  Just my 2 cents.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well, I guess I don't need to spend the time/energy on them... it seems tons of people on the DIY board are making them, and it struck me as odd, but also something that was "normal" and that people might expect.  I didn't intend the allergies and colds bit to be insulting... more a way of saying I didn't expect people to cry... I don't really get why people would cry (other than maybe the bride/groom)... and would prefer they not cry...  Sorry to have posted something that obviously offended so many people. I'm also not sure why someone reposted my original question with JIC -- I don't know what that means.
  • Options
    OP, The JIC is "just in case".  When some people post something that gets a mostly negative response they will go back and edit their original post to seem more benign so other people feel the need to make sure the original post is preserved so people that are new to the thread understand what is going on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What did I post that was so wrong?  I've been to 3 weddings in the last 25 years, and now I'm expected to plan one.  I was asking a serious question.  I wasn't intending to be offensive...  I'm sorry I posted and upset everyone. I said in the original post I wasn't sure and could see both sides.  I really don't know what I said that was so horrible that it needed to be preserved...  Again I apologize for whatever I've done.
  • Options
    No. I'm spending enough money the way it is...plus I figure most people won't cry anyway. I'll probably just buy a few for me and our parents. That's it.
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    People aren't offended, they just thought it was a bad idea.  Lots of girls will get all huffy when they're told something is a bad idea and just delete their posts, and it confuses people who come around later and can only see half the conversation.  If you'd lurk a bit before posting, you'd see that the quote feature is used frequently.

Seriously, chill. 

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Please.  You didn't "upset" anyone.  You asked a question (that has been asked on more than one occasion before, and will undoubtedly be asked again) and people gave you their opinions.

Then they followed up with how they came to those decisions, in the hope of helping you and others avoid a completely unneccessary, and perceived (by many) silly item.

The only person I see upset here is you.  Relax.  It's all good.
  • Options
    wow, you ladies sure do seem to have extremely strong opinions on these types of things..I've found that most girls on these boards just bitch and are rude. try projectweddings.com if you don't want to be attacked constantly!! As for tears of joy tissues, I think they're cute. You don't have to give them to every guest, maybe just give them to people you know will probably cry like your mom or mother in law. it's not "assuming" anything!! I've seen it done, and people have loved it so go ahead. you can get all your materials for under $10!! good luck
  • Options
    I'm doing them but only for our mothers and grandmothers. I'm not attaching a note to them. I'm just going to have them with their programs on their seats. 
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tears-of-joy-tissue-yesno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:084aab8b-4094-46f2-adfe-13c1e07bdeedPost:46626a39-fe52-41a7-b1c4-9b4442172a4f">Re: Tears of Joy Tissue yes/no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow, you ladies sure do seem to have extremely strong opinions on these types of things..I've found that most girls on these boards just bitch and are rude. try projectweddings.com if you don't want to be attacked constantly!! As for tears of joy tissues, I think they're cute. You don't have to give them to every guest, maybe just give them to people you know will probably cry like your mom or mother in law. it's not "assuming" anything!! I've seen it done, and people have loved it so go ahead. you can get all your materials for under $10!! good luck
    Posted by amandasz618[/QUOTE]
    I hope you feel much better after chastising people for their actions from TWO MONTHS AGO.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tears-of-joy-tissue-yesno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:084aab8b-4094-46f2-adfe-13c1e07bdeedPost:46626a39-fe52-41a7-b1c4-9b4442172a4f">Re: Tears of Joy Tissue yes/no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow, you ladies sure do seem to have extremely strong opinions on these types of things..I've found that most girls on these boards just bitch and are rude. try projectweddings.com if you don't want to be attacked constantly!! As for tears of joy tissues, I think they're cute. You don't have to give them to every guest, maybe just give them to people you know will probably cry like your mom or mother in law. it's not "assuming" anything!! I've seen it done, and people have loved it so go ahead. you can get all your materials for under $10!! good luck
    Posted by amandasz618[/QUOTE]

<div>Uh, do you realize you're the only person in this thread name-calling?  Yeah, I wonder who the bitch is.  </div>
  • Options
    Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in, since this is something your considering why not just place a box of tissues at the back of the church (or ceremony site) with your poem attached? That way if people want one they'll take one.
  • Options
    haha wow...relax! some of you are just crazy. you can have your opinion and I can have mine.
  • Options
    it's shocking some of you have found men to marry you!!! good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards