New York-Hudson Valley

Onteora Mouintain house concerns...

Has anyone been to an Onteora wedding or had one there lately like post 2008? I've read some very negative reviews recently...and I would really like to know some details if possible. Needless to say, I am in love with the views as everyone else is. But I am very wary about those reviews and especially about the owner Bob and how he's difficult to work with. does anyone have any stories? please share!

thank you!

Re: Onteora Mouintain house concerns...

• wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I found this place online and fell in love with the view as well.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  However, after speaking to my wedding planner who had been to a wedding there, she said the food wasn't that good because they don't have a kitchen on premises.  So if food is really important to you, you may want to check somewhere else.  

• edited December 2011
    thanks for the heads up! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard the opposite from countless vendors.  I am getting married there in July and so far Bob and Jeremy have been fantastic.  They reply to all emails promptly and fully.  We had our tasting there 2 weeks ago and they did such a lovely job.  The food is good.  I have been to many events this caterer has done (as well as frequenting their past restaurant and their current cafe) and it really is good quality.  Best food ever?  No.  But consistent and good, yes.  As far as on-site kitchen -- they do have a kitchen, but it isn't huge.  The caterer (they are about 15 minutes down the road) do a lot of the prep (especially cold dishes) at their own place and then bring everything to be finished on-site.  The chef at Onteora used to work for the caterer.

All of my vendors say that some people think Bob comes off as difficult, but that he runs a very tight ship -- meaning, everything is always taken care of, things are done as he said they would be, etc.  He may not be the world's warmest person, but they all think the quality of service at Onteora is superior.  I'll be able to say more after July 4th, but my impression so far is that Onteora is great.

Also, I know several people who have been to weddings there that say they are fantastic.
  • edited December 2011
    Rosie -

thank you so much for responding. we went to visit onteora today and holy cow, i think we're completely in love!!! i am so glad you've had a better experience there than i've been reading. would you mind telling me if you were able to negotiate with bob and co. at all? our main concern is still the food and it seems like they don't give you a lot so we were wondering if it's ok to negotiate with the catering company...

anyway, if you have any more details, and don't mind sharing, i would deeply appreciate it!

and CONGRATS! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards