Massachusetts-Boston

Pumpkin Centerpieces

We are thinking of having real pumpkins (cleaned out) with flowers in them for centerpieces. We have heard from a few people that the pumpkins smell bad and to use ceramic pumpkins instead of real ones. Any suggestions?

Re: Pumpkin Centerpieces

• edited December 2011
    I do a pumpkin centerpiece every year for thanksgiving and haven't noticed an odor. Smile
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin did these for her wedding a few years ago and I didn't hear anyone mention a smell - but they were fresh... maybe if they were made too far in advance they would get stinky?
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing that too but we're using Funkins instead of pumpkins because we want people to be able to keep them for a while. But I've never noticed an odor with real pumpkins!!
    "I got married in 1968 and EVERYONE only had 1 photographer, I don't know where all this nonsense came from. Who wants two flashes popping all night anyway? and really as long as they get you dancing, kissing, and throwing the bouquet the rest is just fluff." - My mom
  • MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who used real pumpkins in her wedding...it wasn't an issue.

Also - for somthing different, she had white pumpkins.  Not orange painted white, but grown that way...

• edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding this past Saturday, and they used pumpkins for center pieces.  there were 30 tables, and each one had a large, carved pumpkin on it.  The pumpkins were carved on Thursday and Friday.  There was no stinky pumpkin odor, and the looked fantastic!
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! my read shelf:
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • cdlnmfcdlnmf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should proabably be fine, just make sure you plan ahead. Like, probably don't do the cleaning out of the pumpkins until a day before the wedding, and make sure you don't buy pumpkins too early because they'll rot even if they're just sitting there unopened. Best bet I'd say is to find a local farm and put in an order of however maybe you need to be picked up the week of the wedding. That way you can assume they're newer, fresher, and that they've set aside enough for you.
  • sno224sno224 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have used this idea at events and they are fine...no smell.  We cleaned them out the day before and put them in the fridge after to ensure they stayed...  I assume you do not have access to a walk in fridge so as everyone else said, I would do it as close to your wedding day as possible.  Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards