Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Organ Donation

I know it's not the time for a discussion on this right now (given there's no one on but me, a discussion on anything isn't highly viable!) but I'm hoping that this thread will get some responses once you're all awake.

I was just reading this blog: http://65redroses.livejournal.com/134498.html

Some of you might have heard of Eva- there was a documentary movie made about her struggles with cystic fibrosis and her lung transplant two years ago, to try and rally support for organ donation. Sadly, her new lungs began being rejected by her body a few months ago, and though she's been on the wait-list for another set, she has yet to receive them and is now dying- she recently posted a video message saying goodbye to her readers, which you can see in the link above.

So, inspired by Eva, a poll for when you wake up. For those of you who are registered in some form to be organ donors, have you discussed the decision with your H/FI and family? For those of you who aren't donors, why not?

Re: Organ Donation

• Options
    I became an organ donor when I was in college. I told Travis about it then, and he's supportive. My mother gave me the, "Well, if you're an organ donor they won't try as hard to save you" spiel, but she respects my decision.
  • Options

Jess, I find that argument so bizarre- I work in a hospital and I know that each and every patient receives the same high standard of care and the staff are dedicated to saving each and every one of them. Certainly, if you were involved in an emergency, the last thing the doctors/surgeons etc would be asking is if you were an organ donor! My mother gave me an odd response when I registered; she said that she doesn't think it's a good idea because the medical staff 'could be wrong' about you being dead (citing the very, very rare examples of this having happened in the past!) and saying that she wouldn't want to risk it. I wonder if it's a generational thing to some degree, given that organ transplants weren't happening while our parents were younger. 

• Options
    I've been an organ donor since i was 15 and I got my drivers license. I didn't ask my parents or talk to anyone about it I just took the form and filled it out and had my dad sign it (since I was underage at that time). Now its something that everyone close to me knows I feel strongly about.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    My family has the same concerns about "them not trying as hard" to save me.  I always wished there was the option to be an organ donor, but the doctors can't find out until you are dead.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe it is generational.

Certainly, if you were involved in an emergency, the last thing the doctors/surgeons etc would be asking is if you were an organ donor!

I'm not sure about in Australia, but in the US, (well, at least Texas for sure) it's on your driver's license, so actually, the doctors would know. But even then, I feel that if I were in a fatal situation and I did die, I hope that my family would find comfort in knowing that my death is ultimately saving a life, which is the reason I registered in the first place.

I hadn't watched the video yet when I responded, but I have now, and wow. It was so touching.
  • Options

I know, it's very moving. Seeing her family's expressions as she talks about passing- it's just heart breaking.

We can nominate with the transport department to be donors, but it's not recorded on our actual licence in my state... and even if it were, I'm still quite sure that doctors here wouldn't be interested in asking about that unless and until a person was declared dead/brain dead. 

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Even when you declare it on your DL your family has the final say.  You need to make sure your family is on board with your wishes.  

My family and now FI all feels it is the right thing to do.  I will not longer need the organs and if it can help someone else do it! 
  • Options
    NCV, that's why we have two registries in Australia- you can nominate on your DL, but your family can overturn that. If you nominate on the register (which is a different system) it gives legal consent that negates your family's input, but clearly you have to register to ensure your wishes are granted- a lot of people presume their DL is enough, but it's not (at least, not here). Because it's an 'opt in' system, there's a low rate of uptake, which is sad given how many people are on the organ waiting list who won't receive the organs they require.
  • Options
    I am a donor
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    MrsB, i didn't get a chance to tell you in the original thread, but I am so over the moon happy for you guys!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Im a donor. When I first told my mom, she cried. That nerd. Haha
    I fully support the idea of donating your organs tho. It really could help someone in a huge way.
  • Options
    Shoot, I'm not gonna need them anymore so heck yes I'm a donor.  My mom and FI both know that it's important to me and I would hope they would abide by my wishes.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    As soon as I got my license I registered. My mom's father died waiting on a transplant, so I didn't give it a second thought. And like PP said, I'm not using them anymore! 

I am also a frequent blood donor (O neg baby!), although that's not on the same level as organ donations...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a donor.  I'm in FL and yes, it does say it right on my license.

I'm not worried at all about someone not saving me or trying as hard.  I'm pretty sure if some major accident happened, they'd be working on me before they found my license.

H and I haven't actually sat down and had a conversation about it.  I'm not sure why or why not, I just don't think it's come up and neither of us feels strongly opposed to the other's choice.
  • Options
    I am a donor and have been since I was 15 and got my drivers license. I have talked to my family and my FI about it, and we are ALL on the same page. I have a friend whose life was extended for 5 years with stem cell and bone marrow transplants, so tissue donors, dead or alive, adre very special people to me.

My dad, sister, and I have all said that when we go, we don't want to take up any more space than needed, so take everything anyone might want, then cremate us and return us back to the earth. If I was in the position to make that decision for a dyiung family member, it would be a no-brainer,

I do know, however, that no matter what my license says, the decision is going to be made by whoever has power of atty at the time, as that is the law, so it is uber important to discuss with your family about your intentions, even to the point of writing it in your will.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I haven't discussed it with FI - I made the decision before I met him when I first got my licence.  And my discussion with my mom consisted of "I guess I'll sign up..."
  • Options
    I am an organ donor. It's on my driver's license.

I don't think FI and I have talked specifically about organ donation, but we have talked about end-of-life issues a lot since he deals with it all the time being a nurse in a neuro ICU. If either of us ever has to make that awful decision for each other, we will be prepared from those conversations. Neither of us wants to be kept alive by artificial means when there is no hope of recovery.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I'm not a registered organ donor because I figure that no matter what is on my driver's license, my family (DH specifically) would have to make the final decision.  I think DH knows that I would like my organs to be donated if possible, so hopefully he would respect that.  If I wanted to make absolutely sure, I'd probably have to have it specified in a living will or something.  I'm not a lawyer or anything, so I could just be making that up, though.
  • Options

I'm a donor and my FI and family are all on board with my decision. I also have the same mentality as SarahPLiz. No sense in taking up space once I'm dead.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers is a great read. It talks about the different uses of cadavers throughout history and in the present. It was very informative and hilarious at the same time.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_organ-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:005265ca-2091-47ba-ad3f-0284d6297b3ePost:24b1950f-e17e-447b-bb12-dcbd63dc0116">Re: Organ Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a registered organ donor because I figure that no matter what is on my driver's license, my family (DH specifically) would have to make the final decision.  I think DH knows that I would like my organs to be donated if possible, so hopefully he would respect that.  If I wanted to make absolutely sure, I'd probably have to have it specified in a living will or something.  I'm not a lawyer or anything, so I could just be making that up, though.
    Posted by cocoreo3[/QUOTE]

This.  In Kentucky, it's a sticker they give you to put on your liscense, and it means absolutely NOTHING.  They may or may not even ask my family if something happens to me.  Plus, my mother had refused to honor my wishes if asked for a long time, so it was wholly pointless.  FI's not excited about it, but will respect what I want.  Once we move, I'll register, because the legality of doing so there is different. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_organ-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:005265ca-2091-47ba-ad3f-0284d6297b3ePost:43d7b810-adbc-4446-a7f5-1c3d898a3053">Re: Organ Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Organ Donation : This.  In Kentucky, it's a sticker they give you to put on your liscense, and it means absolutely NOTHING.  They may or may not even ask my family if something happens to me.  Plus, my mother had refused to honor my wishes if asked for a long time, so it was wholly pointless.  FI's not excited about it, but will respect what I want.  Once we move, I'll register, because the legality of doing so there is different. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]
    Where are you moving to?  I should check to see what Ohio law is.  If it actually means something, then I probably would do it, but if it's like you say it is in Kentucky, then there's really no point.  Also, if it were up to my mom, she would have been the same way.  She's got this weird thing about organ donation, which is weird because she's a doctor. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_organ-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:005265ca-2091-47ba-ad3f-0284d6297b3ePost:6fc39165-2afc-4a93-ab1d-0ead98b87bbe">Re: Organ Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Organ Donation : Where are you moving to?  I should check to see what Ohio law is.  If it actually means something, then I probably would do it, but if it's like you say it is in Kentucky, then there's really no point.  Also, if it were up to my mom, she would have been the same way.  She's got this weird thing about organ donation, which is weird because she's a doctor. 
    Posted by cocoreo3[/QUOTE]

Boston.  I'm told it "counts" there, but I haven't yet researched it myself. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Organ donation is something both of my parents strongly encouraged. They're both organ donors, as per their respective wills. I've talked to FI about it. Should something tragic happen to me, I'll be an organ donor.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I have it on my lDL and my family all know that is what I wish.  No one has had an issue with it. 
  • Options
    I'm not a registered donor (well wait, I actually am a registered bone marrow donor), but FI knows of my desire to be one, should it ever come to that.  There was an article in this month's Glamour about live organ donation, and I think there's something really brave and awesome about that, I would definitely consider it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a card-carrying registered organ donor--every viable tissue possible. I have discussed this with FI and my parents and they currently agree with my wishes. I plan to make up an advance directive within the next few years and will add this to the directive as well (not the will, as it may not be able to be accessed until it's too late).

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I started registering as a donor after a childhood friend of mine was killed in an accident while I was in college.  I wasn't against it before that, just hadn't given it any thought one way or another.  His parents decided to donate his organs and I heard about the people whose lives were saved and improved through the donation.  I have met the young girl who got part of his liver.  She was 6 months old at the time, and is now 9 years old and living a full and happy childhood life.  My parents and I talked about it at the time, and FI and I have talked about it both as end of life wishes and in my telling him about my friend.  
  • Options
    I've been an organ donor (my family has known of my wishes, it's been designated on license, etc.) for as long as I can remember. MH is not & while I hope he at some point feels comfortable with the idea for himself, I can't force him; I may feel it's the easiest decision but I think it's incredibly personal & cannot be forced.

I have also recently told my husband who I would be a living donor for in the event part or one of my kidneys, a liver love, etc. could be used. I wanted him to know that there were a few people in my life who I would not hesitate to donate for while alive. I wanted to make sure he understood my thinking & feelings & respected them. He does.
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I am an organ donor and have talked with N and my parents about it. It is also on my driver's license so that there is no question. All of my immediate family members are also donors, and N is not an organ donor and has expressed to me why he doesn't want to be. I respect his decision and would honor it heaven forbid something ever happen.

I think that if organ donation is an important issue to you, then it's really important to talk with family about your decision. That way if something happens, your wishes will be honored.

EDIT - My brother lost a good friend to cystic fibrosis 2 years ago. It's such an awful disease.
  • Options
    I've been an organ donor since I was 16 (long time ago).  I figure I or someone I know might need an organ someday, so how could I ask for one but not donate one???

I am a donor here (throug the BMV), but honestly I would be surprised they even did such operations here.  They had the first open heart surgery EVER in the VI last month, it would surprise me they know how to do organ transplants.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards