Wedding Etiquette Forum

"Family vendors"

Howdy!

So far, I know almost everyone that's doing something for our wedding. My alterations will be by a talented seamstress coworker, our DJ is a woman from our church, our photog is a sister of an old friend, one aunt is doing my jewelry. Now another aunt wants to do my flowers. I'd be paying her, so I would have the leverage to get what I want. (None of that "I'm doing you a favor, so you get what you get." garbage.) 

Anyone have any tips on dealing with people you know as vendors? Should I still write up a contract? What if her ideas are totally different. I need some tactful ways to disagree with people! Thanks! Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker "You're a Disney princess. Girls like you don't go for guys like me." Well, I did. And now, "I do." :)Visit The Knot!

Re: "Family vendors"

• ALWAYS do a contract for wedding stuff, it may be uncomfortable with ppl you know but worth it.  Do you really want to risk something getting cancelled at the last minute? Or not how you wanted it, if you're paying you have the right to ask for a contract.  Just be candid and respectful about it and it will be fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto on the contract. Like you, I have relationships with a lot of our vendors. Our photog is the husband of one of my best friends, FIs cousin is doing the cake, and a mom from my old ballet studio is doing our flowers. They all happen to be professionals, which I think has really helped because they all understand the importance of a contract. It not only protects the bride and groom, it protects their business to have everything in writing. One thing that really helped me when others mentioned the stickiness of the vendor relationship thing, is to ask myself "would I still hire this person if I didnt know them?" Is it their work you like, or the discount? If you genuinely like their work and would hire them, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But still make sure you have in-person meetings, go over the proposals, and get everything in writing. Treat it like you would someone you hired on a recommendation, make sure they understand your preferences and expectations. If everything is up front, you shouldn't have any issues.
  • I would recommend you treat them like you would any other vendor -- with respect for them and their profession.  This includes signing contracts, setting up meetings, calling with questions, paying them in a timely manner, tipping if appropriate, and posting positive reviews on their website.   If you treat THEM with respect (which it sounds like you do, so please don't think I'm implying that you're not:-)) then they will treat YOU like they would every other customer whose business they rely on.
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards