Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Shower Guestlist

My MOH and one of my BMs are throwing me a shower and asked for a guestlist. How many is too many when having a shower? I have a list of about 30 right now, but I have about 10 more girls I'd like to invite, but if I need to keep it small I can. I just dont want them to get the guestlist and freak out.

Also, if you had a shower how many people attended?
I've only been to one other shower so I dont really know how these things go.
What did you do at your shower?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
New Bio

Re: Shower Guestlist

• Options
    I think I remember from somewhere that the attendance is generally 40%, so if you want to invite 10 more, you may get about 25-30?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Well just make sure whoever you invite to the shower is invited to the wedding.

My family is in the process of planning my surprise shower right now. 

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    I invited closest girl friends and family members to my shower.  My aunts were the only out of town people I invited and they actually came because one of them couldn't make it to the wedding.  Other then that I stuck to mainly "in town" people, and people that I was closer to and talked more wedding details to.  In all I think had probably 20 people there. 

Is there a way to talk to your MOH about it?  Not asking her main details but maybe about her expectations for the shower, and how she is envisioning it. 

• Options
    they all will be invited to the wedding, most of them are in the wedding. Yes we went crazy big with our WP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    Ask the MOH how many people she had in mind for the guestlist.
  • Options
    I asked my MOH how many people she wanted me to invite.  I had about 10-15 people attend. 
  • Options
    You should ask the people throwing the shower how big the guest list can/should be.

I was asked for a guest list for my shower and when I asked how many they anticipated, I was told not to worry about it. I gave them what I thought was a comfortable list and made it clear that I could cut if they were at all uncomfortable with that number. I think I had about 40-45 people at my shower; 130 at the wedding. That number is pretty normal for showers inmy family, but I know a lot of people are accustomed to smaller showers (and some to  larger ones too).
  • Options
    you need to ask the MOH and whoever else is hosting how many guests they will be able to accomodate. Where I'm from, all women who are invited to the wedding are expected a shower invite and it's considered extremely rude to not invite them. Hence, I've never been to a shower with less than 80 people (even though this makes it long, boring and tedious that is how its done around here). However, this is NOT the norm. Pretty much my point is, asking an international board isnt the way to do it because there is some regional variation. Ask your MOH (esp. bc of space issues, MONEY, etc) and have fun at your shower :)
    Photobucket
  • Options

My MOH was already talking to me about shower ideas.  I wasn't sure what was "normal"

I have about 50 female friends in the immediate area I'm inviting to the wedding, but that's too many!!!  I just told my MOH to give me a number she wants invited to the shower, and I'll cut down the list to however many she chooses.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I had about 25 women at my shower.  I had a small wedding (70 guests). 

I would also recommend not inviting anyone who would have to drive more than an hour or so to reach your shower venue. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-guestlist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0876707e-58b8-4315-97fe-77bb9fdfbc86Post:fbf45bca-92be-44f0-baf2-68293e9310c9">Re: Shower Guestlist</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I had about 25 women at my shower.  I had a small wedding (70 guests). <strong> I would also recommend not inviting anyone who would have to drive more than an hour or so to reach your shower venue.</strong> 
    Posted by CCBelle[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about this. FI has an aunt & two cousins that we are close with & I would love to invite, but they live in CO. I wasn't sure if they would be offended if I didn't invite them, but I by no means expect them to fly cross country for the shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards