Wedding Etiquette Forum

I now pronounce you...

... infidels and swine?

This is going to be a P&R as I'm on my way out to the grocery store, but I should be back soon. I was just about to shut off the TV when the Today Show reported on this. Wtf?

Clicky.

Re: I now pronounce you...

• Um? I don't even know what to say. That's horrible.
    planning

• Oh god, I saw that yesterday.  Horrible.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not sure I understand - were they having their vow renewal through another religion that was not their own?  Why have a ceremony where you can't understand what is being said?  I saw the youtube video and was wondering why someone would choose to have a sacred ceremony in a faith you know nothing about.

Maybe that is why they were mocked?  Because these people were insulted the tourists think it is' cute' to have  vow renewal that was 'unique' and in a different language? Maybe they felt these people were trashing something they held sacred?  

I guess this type of thing is advertised to bring in income, but that doesn't mean the workers are happy with it.

This also reminds me of people who get tattoos in Chinese symbols.  They say "It means 'courage' in Chinese, while the tattoo artist probably just wrote "jack ass". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • M&R- I agree. And for us, I would never have a vow renewal (or any type of sacred ceremony) said in a language or with a religion that I don't understand. But still... this resort is specifically marketed for these kinds of things. I can't imagine being that poor couple... and now I'm sure any couple that's ever been married there is now wondering what was actually said to them.

Those people who participated/mocked the couple still had no right to do that. They were fully aware of what they were doing, and frankly if they had that much of a problem with it they should have just refused to perform the ceremony. I hope those workers are fired for this. But who knows?
  • I'd like to buy a vowel renewal.
  • I totally agree that what those hotel workers did was wrong - it is always wrong to mislead anyone for any reason.

But I put most of the blame on the couple.  It does suck for them, but I didn't watch and think *gasp* what at tragedy!  Yes, I get that a wedding is sacred.  But if you are going to hold an event that you consider  very important and scared to you and your spouse, then have it in a religion to which you hold dear and a language you can understand.

I feel the couple mocked the religion in which they were married just as much as the workers mocked them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_now-pronounce?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:09fbeb31-fe17-49ff-9a9c-4fb4c53ad381Post:91189b51-2494-4a7e-aaa6-90761aa670dc">Re: I now pronounce you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to buy a vowel renewal.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Haha!  I JUST saw that .  Second time I did this too.  I was just looking over what I first posted and went "damnit!"
  • M&R, when you go up to say your vowels on your wedding day, be sure to enunciate clearly between E and I and don't leave out the Y.  We did and it's something we'll always regret. 

Also, who are you to say what's special for the couple?  At the end of the day, what those workers did was wrong, and they things they said were vile.  It doesn't matter if we think the couple was "wrong" in having their VOW renewal in a place, language, time of their choosing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_now-pronounce?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:09fbeb31-fe17-49ff-9a9c-4fb4c53ad381Post:e869c615-7415-47f3-92a3-36d87a6e764e">Re: I now pronounce you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]M&R, when you go up to say your vowels on your wedding day, be sure to enunciate clearly between E and I and don't leave out the Y.  We did and it's something we'll always regret.  Also, who are you to say what's special for the couple?  At the end of the day, what those workers did was wrong, and they things they said were vile.  It doesn't matter if we think the couple was "wrong" in having their VOW renewal in a place, language, time of their choosing.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I agree that it was wrong of the staff to do this to the couple.   I'm not saying it was OK.

But - and this is probably only my opinion so I understand that not many would share it - I think it is dumb to have a wedding ceremony or a VOW (yes, I caught and fixed that too late it seems haha)  where you can't understand what is being said.  So while I do feel sorry for the couple in that a day they considered special was ruined, I also kind of chuckled at their naivety.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_now-pronounce?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:09fbeb31-fe17-49ff-9a9c-4fb4c53ad381Post:7c762085-ed2f-4e28-ae2d-4e717545b4b4">Re: I now pronounce you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I now pronounce you... : I agree that it was wrong of the staff to do this to the couple.   I'm not saying it was OK. But - and this is probably only my opinion so I understand that not many would share it - I think it is dumb to have a wedding ceremony or a VOW (yes, I caught and fixed that too late it seems haha)  where you can't understand what is being said.  So while I do feel sorry for the couple in that a day they considered special was ruined, <strong>I also kind of chuckled at their naivety.</strong>
    Posted by M&R7111[/QUOTE]

Well, it seems the people performing the ceremony were doing the same thing.

But like Snippy said, while many of us would never consider doing something like that... who are we to say what might be special for the couple? There are a million reasons why they might have chosen to renew their vows in that fashion. Most of those reasons don't include pure ignorance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards