Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to Address...

I've got a bit a sticky situation on my hands, and I'm not exactly sure how to put it without offending anyone out here on the boards. Please be gentle with me:

My fiance's father is now gay, and legally changed is name to Samatha. They have a bit of a strained relationship, but we are definitly inviteing him and his partner to the wedding.  But me and my fiance are a bit stumped about how to address the invitations.  He thinks they should go under Greg, which is his fathers original name.  How he explained it to me was 'Samatha is not my dad, Greg is my dad'

I don't have an issue with putting Samatha on the invites, but I'm just at a loss for what to do.  I don't want to offend either of them.

ETA: Many people are saying that to address it as Greg would be offensive, and I do agree, but my fiance is who I'm really worried about.  He never really dealt with his dad being gay.  It happened when he was about 11, and still hasn't come to terms with it yet.

Re: How to Address...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ae66ebd-c967-4b75-b70f-04bcd0d45080Post:03a14c48-864a-4b0e-a5b2-9aff77625bb2">Re: How to Address...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Address... : We're from Austin...it's not so weird here.
    Posted by mgreenberry[/QUOTE]

WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ae66ebd-c967-4b75-b70f-04bcd0d45080Post:5d35bc6d-7d27-4000-a26d-6b35b9f53124">Re: How to Address...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Address... : WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]
     Our city's motto is Keep Austin Weird. People take it to heart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    mgreenberrymgreenberry member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ae66ebd-c967-4b75-b70f-04bcd0d45080Post:5d35bc6d-7d27-4000-a26d-6b35b9f53124">Re: How to Address...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Address... : WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

Meaning that the our city's motto is 'Keep Austin Weird'

Nothing is considered weird to us anymore.
  • Options
    I think you may need to talk your FI into some counseling.

In the meantime, address the invitation to Samantha.

Will you be changing your last name to your FI's once you get married?  Ask him how he'll feel if people absolutely PERSIST on calling you a name that is no longer your last name...or if his mother doesn't have the same last name as she did when growing up, ask him if he'd prefer you address the invitation to her maiden name.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards