I am in a bit of a jam right now we are booked for a venue that holds 175 comfortably and 205 max. Currently on our guest list includes 215 people of who 10 we know for most likely would not be coming and if they do they wouldn't break fire code since that is 225 for place.
My issue is not actually the number it's the fact that is my future in laws had a "B" list for their own daughters wedding and now they expect it for my wedding to their son. Well besides the fact that with our current numbers we are already needing 40 people to say no to be comfortable. We locked in the venue's rate by guaranteeing 150 and from what we can see we will get at least that many.
Anyway, to get back to my "B" list issue. My FI does agree with me that we can not have a "B" list, but he does not want to tell his parents right now that we won't be having a "B" list. Now I do not know if it is for fear that the fact that we won't have a list will upset them, or if it's something else.
The why is of no matter, it's that he says that if they ask about a "B" list after we order the invites we will tell them we are not having one. Well since it's never been addressed they are now assuming we are having one.
I know they are assuming this because whenever any guest who is on the guest list comes up his parents make mention of the fact that of if so and so doesn't come to your wedding on our "B" list we have so and so to take their place already in the wings.
I need to know the etiquette if there is any of how to address this with my future in laws or my groom. I do not want to order my invites with this non-existing "B" list still hanging out there.