New York-New York City

NYC & Surrounding Area Venue Suggestions, Please?

Hi Ladies,I don't usually post in this board bc at first we were going to do a Hudson Valley Wedding. But after our first venue(s) visits we were not too excited about the region....Regardless, I grew up my whole life in NYC and my whole family is there so we've kinda decided to have the wedding there instead of Upstate (which is where we are now). Since our engagement in February we have come down twice to visit venues and both times have been flops. Trust me, it's not for lack of trying bc I've done TONS of research online. First time in HV the venues were not what we thought they were (vineyards). Second time we visited a beautiful old Manor in Yonkers....but the caterer (after three weeks & me relentlessly contacting him) never got back to me.We are hoping for a August 2010 wedding and won't be back in NYC till Thanksgiving. So as you can tell I'm starting to get real antsy that we do not have a venue booked yet....feels like everything else is on hold until then. Which utterly sucks.Anyway, that was way more background info than you needed!The point. Any unqiue venue suggestions for roughly 125 guests in NYC or surrounding area (30-60mins max). I'm hoping to keep it under $150pp including site fees, liquor & food. Yes, it's possible! =) Loft spaces that are bare are not really for us because we would prefer a place that has character all on it's own already. Something with beautiful/unique architecture would be preferable. Just to give you an idea....we've looked at vineyards, B&Bs, art spaces, old historic mansions...so we are very open except for the atypical reception halls.Thanks SO much!!

Re: NYC & Surrounding Area Venue Suggestions, Please?

• marie427marie427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are willing to venture out to Staten Island, I had my reception at a historic mansion (though it had been expanded more recently to the size it is now) called the Old Bermuda Inn. Unfortunately, they don't have a website, but the decor might be appealing to you (very much Victorian). I had my wedding on a Friday night to make things even cheaper, but even Saturday night costs were about $120-$130 pp which I thought was reasonable - that includes all the (delicious!) food and full open bar, as well as all decor (including centerpieces), and a cake. They also give you a detailed list of ways to minimize costs as well as add costs if you're interested in certain extras (like a Viennese hour). It's also reputed to be haunted if you like that sorta thing. :)Since they don't have a website, give them a call at (718) 948-7600 - their staff was wonderful throughout the entire process. It definitely is a bit out of the way (close to the Outerbridge Crossing which goes from SI to central Jersey), but you're probably not going to find a similar type of venue in NYC, which is why we loved it. Good luck!

imageimageimage

ExerciseMilestone
  • Maureen LMaureen L member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the James Burden/Otto Kahn mansions! http://www.burdenkahnmansion.org/I went to high school there, and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous.  The ballroom was modeled after the palace of Versailles.I'm not sure what the price per person is though.
    Photobucket
    Maureen & Jonathan - 10.09.10
    image 261 Invited so far! image 124 Are ready to party!
    image 108 Will be missing out image 29 Are MIA image
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Bubby's in Dumbo, Brooklyn, it might be perfect for you.  It has incredible views of the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan.  You can have the ceremony outside in the Empire-Fultan State Park that is right outside the restaurant.  The prices are really, really good for NYC (easily under $150 per person), and the food is delicious; they are famous for their pies and cakes.
  • edited December 2011
    Try 24 Fifth near Union Square --- We had our wedding on a Sat night so the price was over $150 pp but if you do a daytime wedding you might be able to negotiate a better price. The place has an old ballroom feel to it (very vintage) and the food is excellent.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Montauk Club in Brooklyn in three weeks, it sounds exactly what you are looking for. It is a beautiful space in a historic building. We don't have to do anything to decorate the place because it is just right as is. The prices are fantastic.....$90/person for buffet and wine/beer bar. $97/person for buffet and premium bar. $107/person for sit down and premium bar. The under 21's are less. The food is quite good and the staff very accommodating. You do have to become a member of the club to have your wedding there, but even with the membership, it is by far the best deal we found in our extensive search. It is right off of of Prospect Park. I highly recommend checking it out. The website photos don't really do it justice, but if you do a google image search and check it out on flickr, there are better shots. Best of luck.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the recommendation for Bubby's.  My cousin got married there-- it is a really pretty space with great views, the food was great, and I know they were on a very tight budget.  Great wedding.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I second the Burden Mansion!  Beautiful & historic.My daughter went to CSH and the venue is gorgeous!fyi, the wedding scene from Working Girl was filmed there.
  • J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked briefly at Montauk Club (wasn't sure what the member's fee was) but my eyes were clouded with the 2nd venue I fell in love with so it was thrown on the back burner. At this point I will most likely contact them and see what they come back with. Doesn't hurt to ask.From the images on their site (and others) it looks like the biggest room is a long narrow room. How's the seating arrangement working for you and how many guests do you have?I've heard TONS of great reviews about Bubbys in DUMBO. From their excellent service to their great food. However, from the images I've seen it doesn't seem very condusive for seating for a larger wedding. I know I said 125 but we are inviting close to 200 but only expect about 100-125 to show up. But for the IF chance that the whole list shows up we want something a little bigger, just in case. I contacted Burden Mansion! From their website it's saying that it's available for private events for alumuni. We'll see how exclusive it is, you would think these days they wouldnt' turn down $$! =)Thanks for all the great suggestions ladies; please keep them coming! Hopefully others still looking will be able to make use of this thread as well.P.S. One place we definitely plan to check out next time we're down there is Galapagos Art Space in DUMBO. I'm an architect by profession (and love!) so the fact that they took an existing building and renovated it into a man made lake to become the first LEED cultural venue in NYC is really exciting to us! The site fee is a bit insane...but....the director is very willing to work within your budget. =)
  • J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    P.S. I would not mind going into SI at all! My 2nd brother and his family actually live in Staten Island. However, it would be preferable not to do Staten Island just because it's not as accessible transportation wise. Meaning, only one bridge, everyone has to pay a fee. Brooklyn or Manhatten would be much or accessible for everyone.24 Fifth looks beautiful! But there are certain things we definitely want, one of which is a evening reception. =( So they will probably be too much for us.
  • marie427marie427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically, SI is connected to four bridges - it's just that three take you to NJ, LOL. I live on SI but grew up in Westchester, where my family still lives, and we always go through Jersey because the traffic is better (we do get a SI resident discount on the Verrazano though). But yes, the NJ bridges obviously have tolls too, so I hear ya on that. Plus, the Old Bermuda Inn is pretty far south on the island and nowhere near mass transit although I did have some Manhattan non-driving residents who were able to come because we did provide a shuttle for guests.Whatever you choose, best of luck!

imageimageimage

ExerciseMilestone
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Ignore the Burden Mansion website.  The chapel is available for weddings of alumni, the actual ballroom, dining room, parlor, etc. are rented out.Call Convent of the Sacred Heart, One East 91Street and ask for the person who does the Burden House bookings.Sorry, don't know who that is these days.
  • edited December 2011
    24 5th may be in your price range on a Friday or Sunday night.  I got married there on a Sunday night and I think the base price was 140 a head.
  • J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The event coordinator for the Burden/Kahn Museums got back to me. And unfortunately they no longer rent out for non alumnae. :( Either your mother or MIL has to be a alumnae because that person has to sign the contract and give the deposits & checks, etc.Sigh. It's a beautiful space as far as I can see. Well she did say she'll let me know if there are news to change the policy in the next couple months. But I won't be holding my breath. Anyone know of a similar space?
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at the Burden mansion...from what I know the bride nor the groom were alumni, however, her best friend & maid of honor was an alumni, so that's how they were able to use it as a venue. I thought that it was nice to have that 5th Avenue address on the invite! The place is beautiful, but a little too ornate for me. I had my wedding at Glen Island Harbour Club in New Rochelle, if you're interested. I wanted views, and they offered that with a more simplistic look and it worked for us, we heard from everyone how great the food was and the service was exceptional, food & liquor was top of the line.
  • edited December 2011
    check out the Metropolitan Building in Long Island City - great space, has chairs and tables lots of antique furniture and gorgeous vibe to the space. you can google them photos of weddings at the space here http://bit.ly/zP3P1 and here http://bit.ly/WjEqq
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards