New York-New York City

NYC hotels for out of town guests

We're getting married in January in Chelsea and looking to block off rooms around the city for out-of-towners. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels (not just by NYC standards)? I was figuring most places would be cheaper in January, but I haven't met with much luck so far and they don't seem so willing to deal.Thanks all!

Re: NYC hotels for out of town guests

• edited December 2011
    I don't know of any but will be watching this thread as I'll have to do the same for a few of my guests next year. Btw, how does blocking work?  Do we have to guarantee anything?  And what if your guests decide to take care of their own arrangements? Thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel was $149. The rooms are really nice as is the hotel.
  • moonlitmamamoonlitmama member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had problems with blocking because the couple places we talked to wanted us to guarentee 10 rooms for 2 nights. If less rms ended up booking - all rooms would go up to the market rate which is kind of not cool. It is NYC - and when we polled friends-family, many had preferences of neighborhood and price point and weren't gonna use our block anyway, so we didn't do it. It was a hard decision but I didn't want to risk having everyones rooms jumping in price and having to tell people that may happen - or worse, paying for the difference ourselves. Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    So that's how it works - makes sense because the hotels want money. Personally, I only have a handful of OOTers; I will give them several good recommendations, being conscious of price, and leave it up to them to book.
  • hollylfkhollylfk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a smaller wedding but had a lot of out of town guests (approx half of the guests were from out of town).  We thought about doing hotel blocks but we decided against it.  We decided to "suggest" a few hotels and let people just select their own accomodations.  In the end it worked out great... a few stayed at our hotel and the rest found deals that worked for them.  I am not sure if this trend will continue but we noticed that as we got closer to the wedding date most hotels were offering amazing deals (much lower than anything we could of arranged as a block rate) so the guests were happier to book their own hotels and take advantage of the deals.
  • peanut701peanut701 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a room block and I would not recommend it. Like hollylfk said, as the wedding gets closer, there are much better deals than our block. I feel bad that I bugged people to get it booked when they would have been better off searching Travelocity for deals or going off a list of a few suggested places. Also, guests have different needs and different price points and there is SUCH a range of places in NYC. We blocked a budget hotel without even thinking that our parents' friends might show up and hate it. Doh!
    DD born 11/20/11
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Get the Sunday NYT and check out the B&Bs there.   Good locations and reasonable
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards