Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Memorial Bouquet: Thoughtful or Tacky?

One idea I had for my wedding that my fiance thinks might work is a small bouquet of different colored roses to display (either during the ceremony or the reception, or possibly both): a red one & a yellow one for my grandma & grandpa on my mom's side, two lavender ones for his grandma & my great grandma & 2 blue ones for his grandpa & my grandpa on my dad's side. It'd be a kind of memorial bouquet and he was really close to his grandparents so I wanted to do something where he might feel more like they are there in  memory & spirit.I know it would kinda clash with the color scheme (wine red & hunter green), so I was wondering if I should 86 the memorial bouquet idea or go ahead.
Never underestimate the importance of a balled up paper towel :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Memorial Bouquet: Thoughtful or Tacky?

• Options
    I think it's a nice idea... just make a sign or something in the program that explains it... are those their favorite colors?
  • Options
    I like the idea as well, but I am curious about the color choices.
  • Options
    For my wedding, we had empty chairs reserved for the family we had lost and put a single rose with a ribbon on the chair, and a sign that said "In Loving Memory of XXX" Maybe you could do an individual rose on each seat in those colors? It does look really nice, but I haven't gotten pro-pics back, so I can't show you.
  • Options
    I think it's thoughtful. Are those the respective person's favorites colors?
  • Options
    We're doing a memorial arrangement on the altar with a candle in it.  We'll just note that it is for my grandpa and any grandparents we'll lose before February (god forbid).
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Thoughtful but the color choices do clash.  Why not 6 roses of the same color (something light like ivory) mixed throughout the bouquet?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    i like this idea becuase while its a memorial, it doesnt scream out at you the way big announcements, empty chairs, etc. do.i wouldnt worry about the colors, who cares if it matches?  too much emphasis tehse days is on this matching concept.  in theory, this bouquet isnt wedding related - its to symbolize something different (your grandparents) so i actually think its better if it DOESNT match, esepecially if those were favorite colors or flowers of the deceased.
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea but you don't need different colors to symbolize them.  I've seen this done as an alter arrangement before and in the program it noted that the flowers where in memory of the bride's father who had passed away.  I thought it was nice.I'm not a fan of the empty chairs with a rose thing.  It just seems too much to me, it's too "in your face".  Weddings are a celebration, not a sad memorial.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     I agree about the chairs thing.  Especially 6 - that could be an entire row.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    It sounds like a nice idea.  Most people probably won't notice that it doesn't match unless it's within a sea of wine & hunter.Not a fan of the chair idea - it reminds me of empty chairs left at high school graduations when students have passed away.
  • Options
    I'd just have an arrangement on the altar or a table in the back.  I wouldn't worry so much about all the colors~that's sort of overthinking the whole thing, IMO.I'm with the others about the empty chair thing.  It's just too "in your face" for my taste.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thoughtful.Blue roses = tacky though.I'd just do some ivory bouquets or something. All the colors overthinks it.
  • Options
    We didn't really have flowers at our ceremony, so we chose to have a vase of 6 white roses on the guest book table (just as guests were coming in the door to the reception) to quietly memorialize our loved ones. I wrote out simple name tags for each rose and we tied them to each rose with a ribbon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had four chairs, but they weren't in a row, they were next to their significant others. Everyone thought it was nice, and DH's grandmother actually kept her late husband's rose and card. But if that's NYS that's perfectly ok. It's not for everyone.
  • Options
    I didn't have programs either, so it was just kinda "there." It wasn't announced or anything.
  • Options
    To answer the repeated question: yes, those are the favored colors of the individuals. I think it makes it a little more personal rather than having all one color.But thanks for the input. :)
    Never underestimate the importance of a balled up paper towel :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like to add, in reply to SparrowSong's comment, it would be a very soft blue, not a brilliant eyesore amid the bouquet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards