Wedding Etiquette Forum

Timeline question

We have our photographer for 7hrs (we're looking along the lines of 12-7 or 12:30-7:30). We are doing B&G pictures before the ceremony and family pictures afterward. The cocktail hour is from 6-7 (we will arrive around 6:30), and then the reception will last until 10. When do you have the special dances and cake cutting? Is it ok to have them before dinner so that we can get some pro pics?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Timeline question

• What time is your ceremony?  IMO, doing everything in a half hour is beyond way too rushed and that's what you're proposing to do with him leaving 1/2 hour after your cocktail hour ends.
  • I just went to a wedding last night with the first dance and cake cutting before dinner.  I personally prefer them after dinner, but I've seen it both ways.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • At most weddings I've been to (and most likely the way we will do it), the timeline has been as follows: Start of reception: bride, groom, party introduced Bride and groom immediately do their first dance. Toasts, speeches. Salad is served. Cake cut during salad. Parent dances kick off dancing for the evening.
  • The ceremony is going to be around 5-5:30pm, but there is about a hour of travel time. We could have the photographer come at 1pm, but there's no way we could have them for the whole reception. The other option is to just rely on guests' photos.
  • I have a timeline in my bio. We are having our cake cutting near the front, which I know is unusual but we only have the photog for 4 hours and I need her to capture the cake cutting and first dance, if we have it. I have to get my music approved. Also, we're doing cupcakes instead of cake for everyone, so it's not going to be a big deal.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • If the ceremony is at 5, why not do an hour in advance for each of you to do photos?  If he comes at 3, you'll ea get an hour or so for pre-wedding photos.I'm not understanding why you have so many hours of pre-wedding photography.   That's not to say that having that is bad - I'm just not following.
  • The travel time is a big factor. The company that we booked our package through says it will take a total of 3.5hrs (2:45-6:15ish) to get there, get married, and get back. That only includes about 20min for pictures with family, so we are having the photographer come at 12:30 to have a few getting ready photos and then doing B&G pictures from 1-2:30. We might even just skip getting ready and have them come at 1pm, but it's difficult to shift it much more.
  • Yeah, you can dance and cut the cake before dinner if you'd like.  But just curious--If your ceremony is at 5, why do you want the photographer there at 12?  If that's for getting ready photos and your B&G photos, I think that's a bit excessive.  Personally I'd rather have just 2 hours of getting ready/B&G or do B&G during the reception while your guests are eating and have the photog there throughout the entire reception.  You mention an hour of travel time--is that between the ceremony location and reception location?
  • Sorry, we posted at the same time.  Could you get ready on site so that you don't have to take getting ready photos so early? 
  • If we skip the getting ready photos and go straight to the B&G pics, they would still have to get there at 1. If we wait until we're onsite to get ready, there will be no time for B&G pictures, which I think are necessary. I'd be willing to sacrifice dance and cake cutting pictures first. We'll just have the cake cutting and first dance before dinner. Thank you ladies.
  • Personally, I would rather have the family photos for the getting ready pictures and the professional for my reception pictures.  I would let your photographer start later.  Also, I have never heard of a photographer using the photo time as part of your "hours".  Are they using your hours for their travel time to get to you originally?  I understand between the church and the reception, but other than that they shouldn't be using your photo time for travel.  I may be confused on that, I'll have to go back and re-read.  Anyway, that's my two cents.  :-)
  • OK I think I have it now.  What about doing your family and bride and groom pictures at the venue after you get there, and use personal photos from family, friends for your getting ready pictures?  Your photographer might have to charge you for having to drive all that way initially, though.  Sounds like a really sticky situation!  I hope you get it all figured out and still get all of the pictures that you want. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards