Wedding Etiquette Forum

Relationship poll

2»

Re: Relationship poll

• 1. Yes, my DH and I lived together a little over 2 yrs before we got married.2. DH got into the "we" thing faster than I did. I noticed that about 1 yr into the relationship, he spoke in terms of "we" often and that when I would say "I", he would correct me and say "we". It was cute.3. I thought he was marriage material pretty much from the beginning but I didn't really seriously begin thinking about marriage until 2.5 yrs into the relationship.4. Overall, DH and I have a great relationship. Our biggest source of stress would be dealing w/ disagreements. DH tends to shut down and not want to talk when I'm the total opposite. I like to talk things out and resolve them ASAP but he'd rather give things a day or two to address. Luckily, we do manage to work out our differences and move forward.5. Absolutely not. I'm totally confident in our decision to get married. We have a wonderful relationship, so being married has only strengthened our bond, from what I've noticed.
  • 1. Yes, on and off throughout our relationship - depending on school situations, ect. Total probably about a year and a half. 2. "we" started as soon as he moved away. Long distance forced us to really evaulate what 'we' wanted. That's the point when we started discussing marriage, our future, so on... 3. after we had been together about 2 years, when he moved about 2 hours away. I knew I could marry him before that... but the move made a lot of things much more clear for us. 4. Currently, his unemployment and the questions that brings up. Money issues, and my unwillingness to move. 5. no
  • 1. Yes. We moved in together about 6 months after starting dating, so it's been 1 1/2 years now. 2. Probably about 10 months ago. That's when we moved away from all of our friends to a new city for his job. 3. Pretty soon after dating. I would say right away I knew that it was something special, and maybe 3 months in we started talking about marriage. 4. Where to live. We live in the same city as his family now, I would like to live closer to my family (across the country). We're settled here for now but I could see it being an issue in the future. 5. Nope, no doubts. I had more doubts about whether or not I should move here with him than about whether or not to get married.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Nope 2. I started thinking in terms of "we" when FI and I got engaged. 3. I knew fairly early on in our relationship. 4. We're long-distance. Me in Alabama and FI in Arizona. We've been LD for 2.5 years. He's FINALLY coming home in October. It seems like the closer we get, the more stress it causes because we're both so anxious. 5. No, not really.
  • 1. Did you live with your FI/DH before marriage? For how long? You betcha. I kinda think that's important.2. When did you (or did you) start thinking of things less as "I" and more as "we"? I don't really know? probably after he moved in.3. When did you realize you were with the person you wanted to marry? It was pretty quick, actually. maybee......3 months?4. What is the biggest source of stress or tension in your relationship? He works too much.5. Did you/do you ever have doubts about marrying your FI/DH? Just normal stuff, but nothing huge.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • 1. Yes, he moved in 7 months ago when we got engaged 2. It's a transition. I've obviously never had this level of commitment before, so some things become "we" more easily than others. But I'dsay beginning about 2 months before we were engaged, I'd refer to my apartment as "ours." 3. I didn't have a lightning bolt moment. It just built up. I think I've known from very early that he was someone I could spend my life with, but it was around Christmas that I realized how well he just fit.4. We really don't have one. 5. Not about him at all, but I think marriage is always a bit of a leap of faith. You're trusting that another person will always put the same effort into a lifelong commitment as you will. Even so, I'm incredibly excited to be his wife.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • 1. Yes.  We've lived together for all but 3 months of the last 6.5 years together.2. Not sure, it probably just happened slowly.3. Fairly quickly.  We were able to be comfortable together, not doing the same thing, and that was okay.4. Money, definately.  He makes way more than I did, and it's taken a long time for us/him to be able to be okay with me spending the same amount of money on fun things as him, even though I don't make nearly as much.5. Yes, see question 4.  When we were working that out, it was pretty rough.  We both said things we regret, and we both felt pretty angry at each other.
  • 1. Did you live with your FI/DH before marriage? For how long? *Yes. November 1, 2008 - March 28, 2009. 2. When did you (or did you) start thinking of things less as "I" and more as "we"? *I honestly can't remember. It didn't happen right away, and it happened first with me. DH had a tougher time getting used to having to account to someone else. He was used to roommates he never saw. I was friends with my roommate. 3. When did you realize you were with the person you wanted to marry? *Just a few months in. 4. What is the biggest source of stress or tension in your relationship? *Money. Spending, budgeting, stressing over expenses. It's funny, because I remember that being the biggest thing my parents argued about when I was a kid. 5. Did you/do you ever have doubts about marrying your FI/DH? *Yeah, once or twice. We got engaged at 4 months & married 8 months after that, and when we got really stressed during planning & the fighting was bad, I wondered whether I really knew him and what I was getting myself into. It's a lot better now.
  • 1.  No, we live in different cities right now and will until our wedding.2. Probably over a year ago3. My sophmore year of college (2 years into the relationship) we started talking about it seriously.4. It has been long distance almost the entire time so that is for sure hard.5.  Nope, I have wanted this to work the whole time.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • 1. We're moving in together in three months. We will have lived together for about nine when we get married. 2. right about now :) I was single for so long that "we" was a really hard concept to get the brain around. 3. Subconciously, the first day we met. Conciously, the first time he told me he loved me. We were just friends at the time, and I had taken him out for beers because he had just broken things off with another woman, and mid conversation he blurted out "Have I ever told you that I love you?" 4. I'm super introverted, and a little selfish from being single my whole life; I never had a serious relationship until him. It is not a big stress, but he's sort of had to teach me how to "be" in a relationship with something other than books and my cat. 5. Committments of all kind scare the cr*p out of me. That said, no. I have never doubted marrying him.
  • 1. Did you live with your FI/DH before marriage? For how long?Yes, for eight years.  For the first seven years, we couldn't get married anywhere.  We got engaged three days after that changed.2. When did you (or did you) start thinking of things less as "I" and more as "we"?Almost immediately.3. When did you realize you were with the person you wanted to marry?Pretty quickly.  For complicated reasons, we really had to make long-term relationship decisions within the first three months.4. What is the biggest source of stress or tension in your relationship?I'm a lot messier than she is.5. Did you/do you ever have doubts about marrying your FI/DH? After eight years together?  Not really.
  • 1. Yes we have already been living together for a year and it will be a year and half when we get married.2. When I moved back east.3. Pretty much right away. I already knew him really well though; we had been friends a long time.4. Money.5. Not one bit. I can't wait to marry him. :-)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 1. No2.  About 6 months in.3.  About 3 months in.4.  His ability to help around the house, it drives me crazy and he thinks he doesn't need to.5. Never.
  • 1. Did you live with your FI/DH before marriage? For how long? no2. When did you (or did you) start thinking of things less as "I" and more as "we"? For both of us it has happened gradually but at a much faster rate for me:) We have talked about the future as 'we' for quite some time, but on a day-to-day basis he still isn't 100% there and usually unaware of it - I make sure to point it out to him, though.3. When did you realize you were with the person you wanted to marry?probably 5-6 months was a turning point4. What is the biggest source of stress or tension in your relationship? We are both at different stages of our career/education. He just finished residency and we really need to move next year in order for him to start a fellowship which is going to be difficult for me because I started my PhD where we live now only a year ago. 5. Did you/do you ever have doubts about marrying your FI/DH? Nope, but I do think living together is going to be a challenge at first because we are both very independent and enjoy our personal space.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. No, we didn't live together. 2. After a couple years of dating. 3. Same as above. 4. House cleaning isn't FIs strong suit. 5. To say I NEVER had a single doubt or second thought would be a lie. But we are very happy together and can't wait to get married.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards