New York-New York City
Options

Larger sizes

Hi guys,So I am a little...zaftig -- a size 14 in street clothes. Not huge, but not a sample size. And I'm so worried about going to bridal salons. I am going to lose some weight before the wedding, but obviously I need to buy a dress that fits me as I am now, and I just don't want my shopping-for-a-wedding-dress experience ruined by feeling judged or not being able to find anything to try on. Honestly I'm a little terrified.Does anyone have recommendations of places with larger sized samples to try? I'm going to try the non-sample-gown places (Davids--yikes--and I think RK Bridal stock a bunch of sizes, and Bridal Garden) but maybe there are other places to try? Or has anyone seen regular salons with a good selection of sizes? My nightmare is walking in for an appointment and some snobby skinny girl giving me a once-over and telling me she's not sure she has anything to fit me. So ouch!TIA,Lindsey

Re: Larger sizes

• Options
    FutureGuntherFutureGunther member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went through this exact same thing!  I'm a 12/14 in street clothes and was dreading facing those sample size 10s (which are actually like a street 6).  I can honestly say I never encountered anyone saying they didn't have anything to fit me - it was much more common for them to say they had very little in my budget - ha!  All consultants were great at getting the samples to look as good as possible when they wouldn't zip at all (a have a large chest) by clamping and putting in fabric inserts in the back.I went to Priscilla of Boston when I was visiting my parents in Texas and was pretty underwhelmed, but they were perfectly nice and helpful in finding things that would flatter me.  In NYC I went to Gabriella's, RK, Kleinfeld and Pronovias.  While there was something good for me at each place (and no one was rude about my size), Pronovias was by far the best at accomodating someone who wasn't a sample size.  As a Spanish designer, they tend to design for curves a bit more, plus they just redid their sample sizing and there were a few dresses that not only zipped all the way up, but were actually pretty big on me!  I would highly recommend Pronovias as a place to try for someone with concerns like yours.  Also, their pricing is really great and the dresses look tons more expensive than they actually are.  At RK I felt the opposite - most of their dresses were slightly less expensive than Pronovias, but the quality seemed to match the price, if you know what I mean.  Kleinfeld now has some plus-size samples, but as a 14, these are probably gonna hang off of you.  I also found Kleinfeld's chaotic and was feeling rushed along the whole time, even though my 1.5 hour appointment only lasted 1 hour.  Also, FWIW and for my particular body type (pretty classic hourglass), I found it much better to try on a too-small dress than a too large dress, in terms of being able to tell what it would look like on me if it fit.  Not sure why - maybe all the extra fabric just doesn't flatter in a too-big dress?  Anyway, best of luck!  I hope it all goes as well for you as it did for me!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, FutureGunther!! I really feel better and I'm calling Pronovias today to make an appointment. In case anyone else reads this and wants suggestions, I also had a decent experience at the Bridal Garden. They don't do samples -- it's all consignment, samples, give-aways, whatever -- and they are certainly not a place to go if you want to be pampered, as everything is DIY, but I actually like being able to shop the dresses on the rack and have people stay out of my hair. And they had a decent-ish selection of over-14 sizes. So just a thought.Can't wait to go to Pronovias now -- thank you again!!
  • Options
    FutureGuntherFutureGunther member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I could help!  Hope your appointment goes well!  In case you want to request a specific person, my consultant was Annemarie and was awesome...  Her body type was fairly similar to mine and I felt she was especially helpful in choosing styles that would work for me.  I went in thinking I HAD to have an A-line to cover my hips and other, um, assets, but she right away suggested we try to play up my small waist with something more fitted across the hips.  And you know what?  It totally worked - my chosen dress is a "modified A-line" and I never, ever would have pulled it off the rack for myself because it hits right across the hips.  Annemaries's very straighforward and honest, and definitely not the type to try to sell you on a dress with effusive, fake comments, but will honestly tell you which dress she thinks looks the best on you.  She's great with budget considerations and will only bring you dresses you can afford, taking into account alteration costs as well.  After too many consultants at other stores either trying to get me to buy something out of my budget or just going along with my style ideas with no suggestions of their own, I really appreciated her un-pushy yet still opinionated approach.  She's also experienced, having previously worked at both Vera Wang and Neiman Marcus.I promise I'm not actually her - I just really loved working with her and can't wait for my first fitting!!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's so exciting, congrats on finding a dress! My appointment is tomorrow, and I'll definitely let you know how it went. I'm going to call now to see if Annemarie is available! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Met with Annemarie and she was definitely great. I narrowed it down to two dresses: one at Pronovias and one at the Bridal Garden. I'm leaning toward the Bridal Garden dress, but I'm so happy that I had options and was able to try on a range of things. So thanks again!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards