Wedding Etiquette Forum

Why Do People Insist...

Re: Why Do People Insist...

• PS - we're still using the leftover napkins at our house and I smile every time I use one.  Oh and the same with the personalized matches and coasters.  Yeah, I had a lot of wasteful stuff.  :)
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • I'm just putting out there, you can have your pretty cocktail napkins, but I'd better get free pretty cocktails to go with those pretty napkins.
    Photobucket
  • I promise that the stupid cocktail napkins I bought for 19.99 on sale courtesy of TK store WILL NOT get in the way of feeding and boozing my 400 guests to their little heart's desires.
  • who is the girl who made tile coaster sets for everyone using scrapbook paper? Totaly unrelated, but those things are more awesome than I can possibly describe.
  • I could be wrong but aren't usually the people who buy those things skimp on more important things like booze and enough chairs for everyone?No I think you're wrong there.  We spent $60 on cocktail napkins and had an open bar, extra tables and seats, and awesome food.  Now I have about 200 cocktail napkins with our names and wedding date on them sitting in the closet in our spare bedroom. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I could be wrong but aren't usually the people who buy those things skimp on more important things like booze and enough chairs for everyone?Um, no.  Not at all. 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • I could be wrong but aren't usually the people who buy those things skimp on more important things like booze and enough chairs for everyone?No, those are morons who HAVE to be trolls because it's too ridiculous.
  • Alrighty then!  You're a fine bride in my eyes!
    Photobucket
  • Yesterday, I was mentally composing a giant list of things I'd be happy to never see on TK again, and this was on it, along with the constant race to see who can be the first to say "Who's paying," in answer to any question asked, and "it's just the internet."
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Claps for TJ. Not the STD kind.
  • I can see your point Vogt.  Although I think when someone comes on here complaining about how over budget they are, *something* has to go and suggesting that they get rid of cocktail napkins because they are "a waste" is reasonable.  Sometimes brides get caught up in all the things they just HAVE to have, and forget about the overall budget.Having some unecessary things is fine, but when all the unecessary things start affecting how well you treat your guests, then that's ridiculous.  I'm thinking of whitson's thread about the movie poster couple who ended up serving half their guests PB&J at the reception.  If someone had spoken up earlier and told the bride that posters were "a waste", maybe they could have afforded to feed all their guests the same food.
  • If I say it that is usually my way of saying that it is not as pretty as the cost warents or that it is down right ugly.
  • NQB - that specific rant was spurred on in smoething I saw in Sprite's post about the unity candle.But in general, this entire concept pisses me off. I hired exactly one person to coordinate exactly one day of the wedding planning process. All other monetary suggestions (on my part anyway) are unsolicited and unwelcome. Shut it, come to my wedding, drink my free booze and gorge yourself on my free bbq before dancing your hiney off to some rockin' tunes. I promise you won't remember what you first thought was unnecessary.Not you NQB, of course, the general you :)
  • Yeah I'm kind of over the immediate "who's paying" response.  I mean even if the bride and groom aren't paying, you can still answer their question with something more useful than "who's paying?" or "he who pays says".
  • My mom got personalized cocktail napkins for our engagement colors. I don't care if people think they were a waste of money. I thought they were adorable. Plus she got so damn many of them that we are taking all the leftovers to T&C with us to use there.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Vogt   thank you for bringing this subject up.  It does go through my mind quite often when I read posts here
  • *That was supposed to be "engagement party" and they were in our "wedding colors". I think this is a sign that I need more coffee.
  • I'm thinking of getting personalized drink stirrers, so you enjoy your cocktail napkins!
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Bec - that was SaltyPeanut. You don't need more favors. If you want some coasters, I'll make you some for your wedding present - promise. :) Just let me know what colors you want. And Noelle - I get what you're saying. When people start whining that they can't stretch their budget or don't know how they're going to feed everyone - then those comments are totally necessary. But if people are just asking for an opinion on how something looks...that's when it annoys me.
  • One person's cocktail napkin is another's bedazzled flip flop is another's engraved cake knife. Most wedding stuff is beyond ridiculous, and the fact that all of us are here pretty much demonstrates that none of us are immune to being ridiculous.
  • [i]Salt, we talked about this. You're my SMOH (super MOH)...you already bought your cape. How could you forget?? [/i] Damn I have a terrible memory. :-( I should start taking ginko biloba.
  • [i]people remember if there was booze or chairs. Nobody remembers cocktail napkins or coaster.[/i] Actually, I love looking at all of the little details. I would notice a cocktail napkin with a monogram stamp on it or other DIY projects, no matter how small of a detail it is. But that's me... I'm a scrapbooker so I appreciate all the little things that personalize a wedding. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm able to feed my guests along with having stamped cocktail napkins and a unity candle. wow. Amen Mrs. Vogt!
  • Sorry everyone - I just noticed how bad my typing is when I'm pissy!
  • Actually, I plan to put post-it notes on the bottom of one chair at each of my tables. The people who sit on the post-it chair don't get to eat that evening.They will, however, own a share of my unity candle, and we will light it every year on our anniversary in their honor.
  • Thanks Bec, that would be me :)
  • See I feel like with things like toasting flutes and cake servers, people need to know that their venues have these things and you don't HAVE to buy them.  Seriously.  Some people really don't know that.
  • dani - I'm just sick of the whole thing where "who's paying" or some variation of it is the immediate response. As far as I'm concerned, in most of these situations, the first response should be "Have you spoken with your mother/MIL/whoever like a grown up about this matter?"I know there are some people out there who have unreasonable parents. But I have to believe that most of these people are running to TK with a question when they haven't even sat down and discussed the issue with the person in question. And honest to god, I refuse to accept the idea that just because my parents are paying half, they get to dictate the entire day.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Now I kinda want cocktail napkins.  Seriously.
  • Vogt, you def win the DIY award. NQB, let's just call a truce. It takes more energy to dislike someone than to like them around here.
  • Bec - that was SaltyPeanut. You don't need more favors. If you want some coasters, I'll make you some for your wedding present - promise. :) Just let me know what colors you want. Hater. :) I wasn't wanting them for favors, I want a set of them to use! I'm actually considering koozies filled with my cocktail napkins and matchbooks as favor No. 41, for your information!And Salty, they are awesome, just so you know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards