Wedding Etiquette Forum

Migraines and veils...

I know this is odd, but:I just got my veil in the mail. It is a cute little birdcage. I put it on and had a play. It looked great, but having the white spots from its material in my eyes actually made me feel sick. Looking out of it, it was very similar to the ocular symptoms that I get before I get a migraine- and I actually feel slightly headachy now. I don't think that the veil itself hasn't given me a headache, but the fact that my vision was obstructed by the white dots where it joins seems to have brought up a mild version of the associated symptoms that I normally get from a migraine after having such difficulty with my sight. Please tell me that I am not the only crazy person who feels sick thanks to her veil! I really adore it, and think I'm going to have to keep attempting to wear it around the house to end the association between white in my eyes and nausea/headaches (although clearly, that might backfire if the obstruction in my vision is enough to give me a headache!).

Re: Migraines and veils...

• I haven't had this happen, but it does make sense that you could have this reaction to it.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • OMG I totally felt this way the first time I tried on my birdcage and kinda freaked out that the combo of veil, fake lashes, and stress was going to give me a migraine on the wedding day. I've been playing around with my veil and I think I'm going to end up kinda scrunching it to the side (which is really annoying b/c I bought a nice bird cage b/c I wanted the bird cage look) just to keep most of it out of my eyes most of the time. Maybe try playing around with it a little like that to see if it helps. :( Getting a migraine on the wedding day is one of my biggest fears. Side question - did you ever get your dress situation worked out?
  • Huh.  That's odd.  I mean, I get it, because I get migraines with auras too (though mine are black dots), and it makes sense.  I'd pop some ibuprofen about 20 minutes before and then put it on a few times and wear it around and see if that helps end the association, like you said you were going to.  The ibuprofen might help prevent it.  I know sometimes when I start getting auras if I can take something right away it stops it.  Maybe it'll do the same for you?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • No, not yet. It's four weeks until our wedding today, and still no dress in sight. I called the dress shop lady again (I have been emailing and calling every few days). Last week, she attempted to reassure me by saying, 'oh, they never tell me when they're shipping them but the dresses just turn up, I'm sure yours will arrive soon'. Today, she said that she is trying to contact the maker again and will get back to me. I don't really know what else to do, at this stage. I'll give her another week before I start really freaking out, but yes... internally, I am freaking out.And, I am so glad I"m not the only person who feels this way. I really adore my birdcage and hope I can somehow get used to it, but I had it on for all of 3 minutes and I still feel headachey, sigh.
  • Ditto J&K on the ibuproquen. That's what I'm gonna do.
  • I would try it on again after you've eaten and had plenty of water. Maybe you were just on the verge of a headache and the veil pushed you over the edge. I know sometimes I'm just more sensitive to visual stimuli. I'm so sorry to hear about your dress. I would be well beyond flipped out at this point. Good work holding it together.
  • I've actually already had two of those this morning because I woke up with a headache with nausea- although they were working so that I didn't feel at all sick before I put the veil on. Maybe that didn't help, though, so I'll wait for another day or two before trying again.
  • I haven't had that happen with a veil, but with other things like when the windshield is streaky.
  • Waking up with a migraine is the worst.  I get my worst ones in the middle of the night, and they wake me up and it's just awful.  I've discovered that if I have even a hint of a headache or a stiff neck before bed I should take something or I'll wake up at 2 am with a killer migraine. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I actually haven't had a migraine in such a long time. I get headaches a lot, but thankfully through eating better and staying hydrated, I've managed to avoid them for quite awhile. Don't want to tempt fate with that statement, though!
  • headaches...don't use it...you want to be happy on your wedding day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards