New York-New York City
Options

Cancelling a venue

Has anyone ever cancelled their venue before? I don't have my contract with me right now, but I'm just wondering if losing your deposit is standard fare, or if they are usually refundable. If a deposit is non refundable, might I be able to negotiate? Maybe getting out of a contract and rebooking elsewhere is something a planner can help me with? I'm not really sure what to do and just wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of situation.
image

Re: Cancelling a venue

  • Options
    edited December 2011
    metalkp, I am a planner and it it is difficult even with the help of a planner to gain your deposit back. A contract tends to be iron clad. Typically venues will give you your deposit back when you cancel for far out or they will take a portion of your deposit. I would be prepared to lose some if not all of it. why are you canceling the venue?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Read over your contract but also contact the venue and see if you can work something out.  If it has been contacted by other couples for your date, then maybe it can still salvage the date and you won't lose any (or much) of your deposit. Depending on how close your date is, you may be on the hook for damages.  Again, look over your contract when you can but don't be afraid to contact the venue - sometimes, many are very helpful and want to work with couples.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with PP's.  Your contract will stipulate the following:Deposits are Non-refundable (point/blank) orDeposits are partially refundable if canceled, and then rebooked for the date.You should also be careful about any payments made towards your balance -- those are sometimes not refundable and sometimes couples do have to make additional payments to the venue when they cancel.In any case, a planner won't help you in that realm but whatever money you do lose, I'm sure the planner can assist you in reallocating your budget so it's not hitting your pocket too hard.
    image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I also wanted to mention that if you do end up canceling your venue -- be sure that another venue has your date available.  I recently met with a bride that canceled her venue before she had a new one, and now she has to chance her date and the other vendors she had booked were unavailable as well.
    image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I cancelled my venue and got a full refund four and a half months before my wedding, and they didn't make a fuss about it at all, but it was really their fault - it was the BBG, they had told us when we booked that the cherry blossom festival was always held in April, and then it ended up getting moved to our wedding weekend, the first weekend in May.  The coordinator tried to convince me it would all be fine; the owner just offered me my money back. The best decision I made in the whole wedding process was changing venues.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto on the ladies above... check your contract and dont be afraid to ask.. what i will suggest in addition however is something i saw another knottie do... if they wont give you a refund, see if your contract and deposit can be transferrable to another bride... and then offer it with a smaller loss to you than the venue would give.one knottie i saw cancelled her place, had a $6 deposit and offered it for $4 or $5... can't remember... but it was def better than her losing her money and everybody wins...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards