Wedding Etiquette Forum

Engagement Announcements!

Hi,I am planning my friend's wedding and she's pretty nontraditional but I wanted to know what the standard etiquette is on a couple of things:She wants to send out formal engagement announcements, but not include the wedding date because not everyone she wants to send announcements to will be invited to the wedding. She is going to have a very small ceremony and reception, only for family and close friends, so she wants the engagement announcement to include a larger group of people. What's your opinion on this?We would follow with Save the Dates for guests, and then invitations, of course.Help! Thanks,M.

Re: Engagement Announcements!

• Don't send engagement announcements, ESPECIALLY not to guests that aren't invited to the wedding.Put an engagement announcement in the paper and then send save the dates to guests. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • No, engagement announcements are poor etiquette.Send STDs to the guests being invited and put the engagement in the local paper.
  • Are you like one of those people who used to call the Dr. Ruth show asking questions "for a friend?" IMHO no one sends formal engagement announcements anymore and if you send one to someone they will probably think that means they will be invited to the eventual wedding. So I wouldn't.
  • My opinion is that "your friend" is actually you, but you don't want us to say you're idea is lame. So you're blaming it on someone else.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hi, Mara. How are things at Smith? Anyway, if you send out an engagement annoucement (which is wierd, by the way) You need to invite them to the wedding. It's wierd. If I got an engagment annoucement and wasn't invited to the wedding, I would think she was a gift grabby snob face.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Engagement announcements go in the paper and on FB.  A wedding announcement may be sent after to the wedding to people that weren't invited, although unless it is an elopement, that can also be seen as a gift grab.
  • Thanks for the feedback to those of you who actually were helpful. Some of you are downright rude, which baffles me. I myself am not yet engaged and I am planning my friend's wedding because she asked me to help her with the pretty things like Save-the-dates, invitations, etc. As I said, she's very nontraditional and wanted to do things the way I had previously mentioned, and obviously that's not acceptable etiquette, which is good to know.crfische... how did you know I went to Smith? I graduated last year, thanks for asking!
  • check your facebook or myspace   are they secure?  doubt it
  • Your email can be searched on Facebook, that's how she knows your name and school.  You should probably change your username.
  • mara, posting on here with your emal address is pretty stupid.  How's Mark & Devin?get a new sign on before you come back with more questionshth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards