Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reception Venue

Hello ladies.  Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday so far.My question is, how hard was it for you to find a reception venue?  FI and I went yesterday and looked at our first one in person yesterday and I wasn't impressed.  It was actually the one that looked best online, so now I'm worried about the ones I didn't like.  LOL.  How many did you ladies look at?  Did you have any disagreements?

Re: Reception Venue

• Options
    We got engaged at our venue. It is our very favorite restaurant/inn in the world. We booked our wedding there that evening. So no, no disagreements and it was very easy.My college roommate had a terrible time finding a venue she loved though. Just keep looking! Often times pics do not do justice.
  • Options
    Kati - thanks for the giggle provided by your signature "quote" :)
  • Options
    We looked at 5 or 6, I can't remember.We did not disagree at all, and we ended up going back to the venue we visited first.
  • Options
    i looked at TONS online and decided to go look at two in person. The first one was PERFECT. yea, we had it pretty easy.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm afraid if I rehash my experience I'll have to go back into therapy for it. To answer your questions: Lots, Yes.
  • Options
    Kati - thanks for the giggle provided by your signature "quote" :)Anytime!  Were you around last Wednesday for that train wreck?
  • Options
    I picked the first and only venue I looked at because I have loved the location since I was a llittle girl.  It's a historic courthouse (pib). No disagreements since FI doesn't care.  I mean that in the nicest way.  He's a member of the "whatever makes you happy, sweetie" mentality.
  • Options
    I think choosing the venue is one of the hardest parts of planning a wedding.  One, it's the biggest expense, and two, it really sets the tone for your whole wedding.  We looked at several, we disagreed a bit here and there and debated what sort of wedding we wanted (him: hog roast at the park, me: typical reception).  We ended up going with what I wanted but now a year later, I find myself wishing we had gone with his idea because I think it would have suited us and our guests better. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I looked at a bunch of places online, but since we needed a spot that was close to the cities, only hosted one event a night, had a different kind of vibe (it no hotel ballrooms or country clubs) and allowed us to bring in our own booze that narrowed it down signifigantly.  We ended up going to visit one site and booked that.  Noodle is okay with it except for the location (its in Minneapolis on a rather busy street, lots of people walking by).  He says if it was one street back it would be perfect.  I am wishing I hadn't been so obvious about how much I liked it though, and I had of tried negotiating with them for stuff.  Once you sign a contract, you're kind of SOL on that.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    i called for info on 3 or 4 places, but they all cost too much money.  we finally booked a restaurant where we always eat, so it was just a matter of looking at the room which was fine.  but we werent picky, either. 
  • Options
    We looked at tons online, but only three in person.  It was an easy decision.  The one we liked best was also the cheapest and easiest to work with, so it was perfect.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Nugget:  Blaisdell Manor is Gorgeous!  Great choice!  If we had our wedding in the cities, we would have gone with that or something similar.  But I'm super-happy with my historic courthouse.
  • Options
    Anytime! Were you around last Wednesday for that train wreck? No, sadly. I had surgery and didn't get back on P&E until this weekend. But, seriously, her SN says it all..
  • Options
    We looked at and inquired about a TON of different places. We're just not hotel ballroom or country club people so it was hard. I was getting very upset/discouraged about the whole thing until I found the museum. It was love at first sight for both of us. We agree 100% that it's the perfect venue for us. You'll find something great
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It is stressing me out.  FI was gone for three months after we got engaged, so I did a lot of research, but he wanted to visit the places in person together. He actually liked the venue we looked at yesterday. I don't know.  Ugh.
  • Options
    We were pretty limited in the location and size, so there were only two that met the criteria. Neither had EVERYTHING we wanted, but we picked the one that had the most.We agreed between the two.
  • Options
    Thanks Anna!  The ballroom is very "naked", which Noodle got all tweaked out about but I love because it makes decorating a ton of fun (blank canvas and all). 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    Anna- Your venue is gorgeous! I really like the "feel" of it. It's a bit unexpected for a wedding...which is why we winded up loving and booking a museum I guess.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you! I love that the museum will remain open for our guests to view all the ezhibits. The silly little old lady in charge there said, "We just ask that your guests please do not spill food or drink on our artifacts.  It would distress me terribly." 
  • Options
    I've looked at tons online and gone to a couple in person. The first one we looked at we both loved but are worried about the cost. Others I look at in person, often with my sis in tow, I now compare to that first one both in looks and cost. S still can't decide whether he wants a church ceremony or garden, city or country. I am trying to come up with options in both the city and wine country but it is driving me crazy and everything is so expensive.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I got lucky my venue is my first choice and the only one i visited before booking. Fi saw it about three months later for the food tasting and he liked it. Have you looked for pics of it online from other weddings? You said you were not impressed- maybe it looked plain without all the wedding decor?good luck, i am sure you will find one you like.
  • Options
    "We just ask that your guests please do not spill food or drink on our artifacts. It would distress me terribly." For some reason I totally imagine this being said in a British accent.

• Options
    Not british Nugget.  She has that horribly stereotypical dakota accent. I half expected her to say "don't cha know" after it all.
  • Options
    "We just ask that your guests please do not spill food or drink on our artifacts. It would distress me terribly." For some reason I totally imagine this being said in a British accent.I did too, because of the last three words.
  • Options
    Plus, I just love her asking you that.  Like your guests are going to run around having a food fight and using sculptures are drink tables.  WTF? Dakota accents are bad.  Almost as bad as Minnesotans.  I had no idea I even had an accent until I went to Vegas for the first time, and everyone looked at me and was all "So, where in Minnesota are you from?"

• Options
    I'm just glad I don't have the local accent yet.  Closest thing I get is I spontaneously start speaking in other languages when I get ticked.
  • Options
    Closest thing I get is I spontaneously start speaking in other languages when I get ticked. ....I am so glad you're on my blackup team.

• Options
    "I am so glad you're on my blackup team."I can also rock some american sign language.
  • Options
    It wasn't super hard, but I found it super annoying/stressful because of the amount of money being spent on that one thing.I looked at about 5 places before I found the right one.  It was actually the first one I looked at.  It turned out to be the nicest and had the most features for the money whereas all the rest of the places were more expensive.  FI really was not in the position to give his imput since he was in St. Louis. He just wanted to make sure the place I found wasn't too far away or bad(like funky smell, bad access, bad service or horrible food).  When he learned I booked the place he was actually pretty happy since he remembered going there with his parents when the church would have fancy dinners.
  • Options
    In person, we checked out three different locations, and ended up booking one we haven't yet been able to visit, based on reviews.  Online, I got package information for a little over a dozen locations in the three different cities where we considered getting married.  The only disagreement was FI's reluctance to do the wedding in Vegas because of some of the stigma associated with it, but we worked through that.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards