New York-New York City
Options

Low cost wedding/reception

December 2nd will make 9yrs my fiance & I have been together. We have 2 kids, a 8yr old & 2 yr old. We plan to finally get married in 2010. My goal is for May or June. Since we have been together for so long, it just doesnt make sense to us to have a big huge wedding but neither of us want to do the justice of peace/city hall thing. We just want something small that our families & close friends can share with us, maybe about 60-70 ppl if even that many. I have not planned anything. I would like to keep everything under $1200, $1500 the most. I want to have the ceremony & reception in the same place. nothing to fancy. Ive been lookin around at cater/banquet halls. Can someone recommend a nice place in brooklyn or queens areas, maybe even manhatten if not very expensive. thanks. ive been searching around & when i finally find a place its to far for many guests to get to or i read bad reviews on the place. All help would be very much appreciated. =)

Re: Low cost wedding/reception

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check out Pan e viono in Brooklyn (its a restaurant). Click on the parties section on top for more info. http://www.panevinony.com/
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on wanting to get married.  Not to burst your budget but 70 people for 1500 works out to 21 dollars per person. An inexpensive officiant will cost you 350 alone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of anywhere that inexpensive but just as an FYI the Manhattan Marriage Bureau is actually very cool.  It was renovated last year and you can have up to 30 guests with you for the ceremony. My DH and I got married there last month and then took everyone out to a great dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I responded to you over on the Budget Brides board.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely try restaurants with party rooms or small restaurants/bars.  Your budget for that many people might be tight; you may need to either up it or cut your guest list.Someone recently had a small reception at Salt in lower NYC; don't know what her budget is but she had a lovely time and I think cost might have been a factor for her and her now husband as well.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was the one who had my reception at Salt and it was great. Unfortunately, it only holds 40 people and is well beyond your stated budget. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about John's Pizzeria?  It's a cool space and they can accommodate private events.  Pizza and Beer, maybe with a Bryant Park Ceremony beforehand?Sounds like an awesome day to me!  http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htmwww.bryantpark.org/shared/pdfs/events/weddingguide.pdf
  • Options
    mswhit3mswhit3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all. I know $1500 probably is not enough to invite about 70 ppl. But again I didn't want to have a really fancy event anyway. My aunt just got married under $2000. Her pastor married her & her husband then she had a reception in brooklyn. I chose not to do it in the same place due to location. A lot of my guests would be coming from queens, and I want a place close to public transportation for those that do not have vehicles. But thanks again I will check out the places some of you mentioned.
  • Options
    peanut701peanut701 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my rehearsal dinner at John's. The basic pizza party package is $29 - $33pp based on the day of the week.
    DD born 11/20/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're not going to be able to feed people for that price. I would recommend having a party at your home, or the large-ish home of someone close to you. Or you could do dessert and coffee somewhere with a party room. I'm not even sure you're going to be able to do a cocktail reception for $21 a person. Good luck whatever you decide!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, perhaps consider a reception brunch or just light hors d'oeuvres/drinks.  That should certainly be on the less expensive side than any dinner type event.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about a cake and champagne reception?  You can probably rent a vfw or knights of columbus hall inexpensively, if you can't borrow someone's home, get some simple but elegant decorations (look into costco for bulk flowers), get a bunch of sheet cakes (try costco again) and have a small pretty cake to cut for pictures.. use an ipod for music (have someone available to help you make sure it runs smoothly), go to target for their pretty print-at-home invitations and order prosecco and/or sparkling wine at a liquor warehouse.. have some soft drinks available too, and there you go!  Alternately, I think you can get married in an NYC park for a very low permit fee- $25 maybe?  What if you did that and just had a big picnic in the park?  I'm not sure whether you need a permit to have a large gathering (i.e. the party) but that could be really fun in the summer.  Flushing Meadow park is really pretty, right near a ton of highways and not too far from the subway (7 train)..  Also look into having a friend or relative ordained on the internet.. the NYC gov website has info on how to get approved to be an officiant.   There are lots of creative and inexpensive things you can do.  Go to a vintage store or look for a bridesmaid's dress in ivory or white for a less expensive dress.  Ask friends to take pictures and/or video.  Congrats & good luck !
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards