New York-New York City
Options

Anyone have experience with DK Collection photography?

I couldn't really find much online except their own website.  Just curious if anyone has used them before and what it was like.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone have experience with DK Collection photography?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I have experience with DKCollections.

For the past 5 weeks I have talked with him about being my wedding photographer and videographer. While his work and rates are great, he needs a lesson in business. He was never able to clearly communicate what was included in the packages. After going back and forth, he sent me a draft contract one night, then the next day a cryptic email saying he is/may back out because he couldn't find an assistant to work at the standard rate for the evening (we are having a NYE wedding). Instead of clearing saying he needs more money or needs to readjust the services, he just wrote a flaky email that made NO sense. After a minor freak out, he said he found another assistant who would work and we were all ready to go.

After that, I questioned his reliability. I asked for his contract to have better language for the cancellation clause (all it says is "In the event the contract is terminated, the down payment is non-refundable" which basicaly can mean he can cancel at anytime and keep 30%!!) When I asked him to clarify this text, he didnt respond for a week to only write me an email saying he just signed for another event and will not be able to work with us.

What a jerk! Who does that?? He had ZERO respect for our time and energy.  I DO NOT recommend Dave Kim or DKCollections because they are the most unprofessional vendor I have ever worked with. There is no accountability and he is turned pff by standard business discussions (cost, services, contracts). I am a pretty laid back person, but working with him was incredibly frustrating and a complete waste of time.
    I know the temptation to use him is there because his rates are very reasonable and his work is good, but you should save yourself the stress.
  • Options
    davish72davish72 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For his 40th birthday, I decided to throw my husband a surprise party.  I wanted to capture the event and decided to hire a photographer.  I must have looked through 2 dozen photographers' websites before finding DKCOLLECTION.  The first picture of the portfolio caught my attention!  The journalistic style of the candids, the use of light and framing made "posed" photos look amazing.  When I spoke with Dave, the owner, I found him to be very professional, friendly and very passionate about his job.  I was sold.

Dave and his assistant got to the event early and were set up before the guest arrived (very important).  This allowed him to capture the excitement leading up to my husband's arrival.  His polite and easy-going nature made everyone comfortable, allowing him to "blend in" and shoot a great deal of photos without being overbearing or obtrusive.

Dave sent us the proofs, on time as promised, and the photos were wonderful.  My husband and I found ourselves "re-living" the event as we went through them.  We could not have been more pleased.  From start to finish working with Dave was better than I could have hoped for.  We will definitely work with him again.

Maria _Scott

• Options
    uuandtianuuandtian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our experience with Dave was great from the very beginning. we were planning our wedding long distance and had to communicate with him via multiple emails and he was extremely accommodating. his replies were always prompt and clear. his rates are very reasonable while his work is nothing less than magnificent. his professionalism, attention to detail and pursuit of perfection really impressed us. we could see that he really enjoys what he does and would go above and beyond to create beautiful memories of your wedding, even if it means that he has to do extra work (which he did). also, he is a very genuine and nice person. we really enjoyed working with him, and i would highly recommend his team and him for your event!
  • Options
    prinmod10prinmod10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I booked Dave for my wedding next summer! Yesterday my fiancé and I had a full day engagement shoot with him in the city at 3 different locations. I can not begin to tell you how amazing it was to work with Dave. Since yesterday was 10/10/10 there were so many brides taking pictures in Central Park and I kept comparing Dave to the other photographers and there was no comparison. He was laying on the ground, running upstairs and doing anything possible to get the best shot. My fiancé who is hard to please and was skeptical of the full day shoot, really enjoyed himself. Dave was very easy going, patient, and laid back. He will say he is done taking pictures at a location and then all of a sudden he sees a beautiful backdrop you’re taking more pictures. Time is not an essence with Dave. He loves what he does! I can not wait to see the photos! I only had a sneak peek at 5 of them but they look AWESOME! BOOK HIM!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards