Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Dog Park Drama..vent

My poor little Milo got attacked at the dog park on Sunday. The huge Boxer (Rosie) didn't like the way he barked at her and she literally attacked him.. my FI couldn't pull her off of him. We took him to emergency vet & he now has three stiches, another puncture wound (Rosie's fang I suppose) and has to wear a cone for two weeks. The jerk who has his agressive dog at an open dog park is refusing to pay for vet bills.. o the drama....
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Dog Park Drama..vent

• Options
    Milo is doing better every day. I was really worried about him Monday morning.. he was just.so.grogy. but he's back to himself mostly (just teeeeeed off.. that he has an annoying cone around his neck.. wouldn't you be?) Not really upset with Rosie persay.. but her owner is re-dick! He admitted that Rosie has been in several "scuffles" before & wears a SHOCK collar for that very reason.. Some pet owner's kill me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Boxers DO NOT have aggressive nature.  They're PROTECTIVE.It's VERY different."Despite their history of being used for dog fighting, Boxers are typically gentle creatures without aggressive tendencies. Categorized by the AKC as members of the working group, Boxers are ideal companions as well as guard dogs."
  • Options
    I used to not mind if my dogs played with large dogs at the dog park(they play with my parents dobermans and weimeriner all the time) until my dachshund accidentally got stepped on by a bigger dog while they were playing.  He could have been paralyzed.  Our park has 2 sections, so whenever anyone is in one section, I try to go to the other. 
  • Options
    [i]He admitted that Rosie has been in several "scuffles" before & wears a SHOCK collar for that very reason.. Some pet owner's kill me.[/i] That person should not be allowed to have a dog. And they should fork over money for the vet bills like now. I hope Milo gets well soon!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Right AC, I should have been more specific, but I still think the same theory applies. I mean I'm not going to walk around being afraid of every boxer and pitbull I see, that's just stupid, but again, there is a reason those stereotypes exist.  If you get a breed with one of those tendencies and just think "oh those stereotypes are wrong, he's the sweetest dog ever," you're not helping anyone.  If you acknowledge the tendency and train the dog against it, that's better for everyone, including Milo.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Boxers DO NOT have aggressive nature. They're PROTECTIVE.I agree that they're different and said I should have used a different word, but my point is still the same.  Protective can still amount to hurting another dog or person. And I'm talking about breed tendencies in general, I've also never known a mean boxer.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I have a history with boxers and for those that are saying their breed is known for "aggression" really need to get up on your facts.  My boxer is very submissive and is a big ole fraidy cat of EVERYTHING - balloons, bags, clowns, loud noises, anything.  Please don't generalize for the entire breed based on the actions of one.  I have a feeling there was a lot of excitement going on and she may have been really worked up - boxers are VERY HIGH ENERGY.  Also is Milo really small?  There should be separate parks for the big dogs and small dogs - at least there are in our area.  I am sorry this happened and I do feel the boxer owner is responsible for the bills and should step up.  I hope you get it worked out. 
  • Options
    "Protective can still amount to hurting another dog or person." Aggression towards dogs, and aggression towards humans, are two very different things. I've honestly never heard this about this Boxer 'reputation'. Where I am from, everyone has Boxers as family dogs because they are known to be great with kids and very tolerant. Rosie probably had (like many "aggressive" dogs) a weak temperament, and perhaps a low tolerance for small dogs yapping in her face. Maybe she took Milo's barking as confrontation/initiation of a fight. Not excusing what she did at all, she probably should not have been at a dog park in the first place.
  • Options
    For the third effing time, I apologize, aggressive was the wrong word.  From the American Kennel Club:Deliberate and wary with strangers, he will exhibit curiosity, but, most importantly, fearless courage if threatened. CLEARLY this does not mean "all boxers are aggressive." That is not AT ALL what I'm saying. I never actually even said that boxers are aggressive, if you'll go back and read carefully.  What I'm saying is that it's intelligent to learn a lot about any breed you own to know about any instincts like this, and act and train accordingly.You're right, boxers are normally great with humans, and again for third effing time, I'm talking about tendencies in general, not just boxers. This does not mean i hate your dog. It means I think it's intelligent to not ignore the fact that sometimes stereotypes come from truth. IN GENERAL.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    whoa people, calm down. they CAN be, I didn't say they are ALL KILLERs. Just like people CAN be agressive. Theres a difference. I've been around alot of boxers and they tended to enjoy people but for some reason hated little animals. Maybe not hated but wanted to chew on them for a bit.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    "don't generalize for the entire breed based on the actions of one" - I hate when people say this. Not only ONE boxer or pitbull or whatever dog has exibited agressive behavior. There have been many documented cases of it. Is that the majority of dogs, no, but there have been many that have and unfortunately the odds of a boxer attacking and lets say a pug attacking someone, are vastly different.
  • Options
    Nebb I beg to differ, I get attacked by my sister's pug every time I go over to her house. Except she attacks me with snot instead of teeth.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Hahah I dont doubt that, mine "attacks" when people come over and tries to climb them and gnaws on their hands.
  • Options
    Wow, I think the reading comprehension fail award goes to Mrs Averette this morning.  Congrats.
  • Options
    you're right.  Certain breeds have reputations.I always wonder why the small dogs never get those reputations.  In my city several large breeds (including at least one rottweiler) have been attacked and injured by Jack Russell terriers but it doesn't even get a mention in the news, but the moment a large breed growls at another dog, it's all over the news.  It's ridiculous.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    PS: the rottweiler I mentioned ended up at the vet with serious injuries and is now terrified of small dogs.  It never hit the news.My lab is more cautious around small dogs than larger dogs as well.

• Options
    Moose I think you're right, it usually doesn't get to the news.  And yeah Jack Russels are really smart, but they can definitely get crazy. They have loads of energy too.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone hear listen to Ceasar?!?!  (the Dog Whisperer)  Haha, ok, just kidding.But seriously I am with wading...little dogs can be just as "aggresive" or "protective" or what ever you want to call it.  It's just that they are so little so people generally brush it off as "cute" or "funny".  Well, PEOPLE brush it off, but dogs - big or small - don't care and still get annoyed, so it could easily cause an issue.Still does not AT ALL excuse the owner's clear disregard for the seriousness of the situation.  Since the dog has been in similar situations, he needs to take the dog to professional training classes or not take it out around other dogs.I had a friend who had 2 Pits.  Cutest things except they like to bite people in the butt (literally - they bit her boyfriend twice).  So she didn't allow anyone around them excpet her family who the dogs were comfortable with and knew very well.  She took the proper precautions when they went on walks, etc.If someone can't be a responsible pet owner, they should not have pets.
  • Options
    And cham said it perfectly: It's up to people being responsible for their pets
  • Options
    1. I have had boxers, they are protective but not mean, I have not even heard of them being an agressive breed, so I disagree with the generalization. 2. Sorry about your dog. I would be beyond piissed. (Is piss bleeped) 3. I talked to my vet because I have gone to the dog park once and it was not well maintained, there was poop everywhere. He said, unless they are asking to see immunization records, they are not that safe. I have a friend that brought her adult dog and it got parvo ( a strain that was hitting adult immunized dogs) and she had to put it down after watching it suffer for a week.
  • Options
    Parvo is awful.  We had a puppy get it when I was a kid.  That is so sad.I have a dachshund and I have 100% no problem admitting that my dog lives up to the reputation of not being good with children.  I know it's because he is scared, and rightly so, given that the first kid he ever interacted with pulled his ears, but I do not let kids pet my dog.  Because I was told to look out and that my dachshund might not be good around children, i knew what to look out for in advance, and I'm glad I was warned.
  • Options
    Wow.  You think it's ok to kick a smaller dog?  Really?  Wow.I don't think ANY poorly trained dog should be at the dog park - it's safer for EVERYONE that way.  I tend to be in the minority in that line of thinking though so I just don't take my dog.The problem is that too many people think it's fine for their dog to be poorly behaved because *insert reason here* but every other dog needs to be properly trained and behave impeccably.  Until that mindset changes, I'm still going to see way more badly behaved small dogs than I do large dogs.

• Options
    Moose, I completely agree with you.  I have a 65 pound pit bull mix and I am well aware of the reputation of this breed and therefore my dog is well trained and I tend to avoid dog parks.  The other day I was walking my dog and a little 5 pound yorkie ran up to him and bit him on the nose.  When I tried to step between the two dogs the yorkie almost bit me.  The owner, the entire time, was standing several feet away calmly calling the dog, which was not paying her any attention.  She finally came over and picked up the dog.  I checked my dog and saw that he was bleeding and told the lady she needed to control her dog better.  Her response: "oh, he's not going to hurt anyone."  Like hell, your dog just effing bit my dog!  Small dog owners think they can get away with more because when their dog bites it causes less damage, but it is still an aggressive dog regardless of the size.
  • Options
    I've ALWAYS had big dogs: great danes, labs, shephards, mastiff mixes, wolf hybrids, BOXERS, etc, with the occasional small dog thrown in the mix. The ONLY dogs I have ever owned that show any aggression are my sister's Chihuahuas and my Boston Terrier. If a little dog was coming at me and going to bite or attack, I'd have NO PROBLEM kicking it.
  • Options
    Well I'm sorry but if a dog, any dog, tries to bite me, im gonna kick it.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    After working at a pet store for so long I have come to really dislike little dogs. The worst incident we had was a dachshund who literally bit off a chunk of a ladies lip. We've also had to call ambulances for bites from chihuahuas and yorkies. In general (emphasis on "in general") I've found that big dog owners are more aware of their dog's weaknesses and training (although obviously not rosie's!), while little dog owners think because their dog is small they can do whatever they want.We have a stupid little yorkie in our condo who's owner never puts him on a leash. Twice now it has run up to my dog (80 pound Catahoula) and tried to bite her or hump her. Both times it took every ounce of training and my hand closed around her muzzle to keep Katie from destroying her. The whole time the owners just standing there "oh the dog is nice"...yeah well mine's not, now leash your dog before she gets fvcked up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards