Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Bank of America, anyone?

Any Bank of America customers? I have a Bank of America CC linked to my checking account...if I overdraft (which I did this morning, because the effing daycare didn't do direct deposit this week and didn't tell me..still my fault, I know) $100 is automatically taken from the CC and put into my checking account as "overdraft protection"...it also charges me $10, in addition to the over draft fee. Anyway...is there a way to turn it off on the Bank of America website?

Re: NWR: Bank of America, anyone?

• Options
    i am a BoA customer (mortgage), but i am of no help to your question. sorry.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have BOA for checking, savings, and my primary CC. I've never had overdraft protection pull out of my CC, it always pulls from savings. I couldn't figure out how to change it online, but I did find this:Overdraft protection is a service that gives you a safety net in the event that your account does not have sufficient funds to cover a check or other withdrawal. Overdraft protection links your Bank of America savings account, line of credit, or credit card to automatically transfer funds to your checking account to prevent you from overdrawing your account. There is no charge for setting up overdraft protection.If you are interested in setting up overdraft protection, please call 1.800.432.1000 or 1.800.622.8731 if you are in California .
  • Options
    Nope.. you've got to call.I just did that about 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Thanks, LP..that's the closest I've gotten.Yeah....doesn't charge to set it up...just charges you out the butt for using it
  • Options
    If you cancel your overdraft protection, you'll end up with overdraft fees and they'll return the item.  That is worse than having protection. 
  • Options
    If you cancel your overdraft protection, you'll end up with overdraft fees and they'll return the item. That is worse than having protection. Yeah, instead of a $10 fee you'd have a couple hundred in fees.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    E, I'm wanting to totally pay off the credit card and close it though....still a bad idea?
  • Options
    I would keep it until you do have it completely paid off, in the unlikely event that this situation repeats itself.
  • Options
    Yeah, never mind.. I went back through and read.-it's probably better to just keep it turned on. I'm terrible about balancing my check book, and never know for sure if they'll be paying us with direct deposit or paper checks. I'll just flip off my automatic withdrawal for my student loan...
  • Options
    You wrote a check or had a debit from your account.  You thought there were funds there or expected funds.  If your overdraft protection is used, the second you have funds, transfer it back to the card.  It is good to pay of your cc debt but how old is the card?  If it is your oldest or one of your oldest credit items, you should just keep it open with a zero balance when it is paid off.  Even if you had bad history before, if you're making consistent payments now, it will have a positive effect on your report.  You really don't want to lose the history. 
  • Options
    E, it's my newest, and unfortunately the one I've used the most recently..which is why I want to pay it off and be done with it. (Long story about me not being taught how to properly handle $, and being stupid and irresponsible..mainly stupid) My oldest line of credit would be my 1st car loan, from when I was 15....I've also got a store credit card (zero balance, but I keep it open), my student loans, and my now 2nd car loan (first car was paid off for 2 years, then died). Would it just be better for me to pay this one off, not use the card again, but still leave the account open? I'm just worried about affecting FI's credit later..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards