Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

computer people.... help

in our apartment we have 3 computers: fi's desktop, my desktop, and roommate's laptop.  roommate's laptop has wireless net, i have a wire attached because wireless never wants to work with mine.  roommate constantly (1-2 times a day) gets disconnected and fi has to reset the router. 2 days ago this happened like usual but when the net was back up a minute later, i no longer had internet on mine*.  it hasnt worked since.he has gone all over his router's website, and keeps resetting it and having me restart my computer. which is annoying because it takes like 5 minutes to start up each time and i must have done it at least 15 times over the last 2 days. still no internet.  we tested the wire in another computer - works fine.anyone have any bright ideas? i am so mega pissed especially since im the one around here who pays for internet. id really like to have access.*i borrowed fi's computer for a minute to type this.

Re: computer people.... help

• Options
    Try calling your internet provider's customer support line. They should be able to walk you through fixing it.
  • Options
    Either call your internet provider or take your computer to Best Buy or any other computer place to get it serviced. Could be either of your computers or it could be that there's something wrong with your router. We had a router die on us once, that stunk.
  • Options
    If your computer is the only one having issues the ISP won't do anything to help. So, you're still on the wire but you can't get to the internet? Everyone else is on wireless and they are OK?If that's the case do these things:Check to see if the light is on where you put in the cat5 cable. If it's not your NIC is blown or has come loose. If it is on, check to see what IP (if any) you are getting. If you aren't getting one, or it's invalid try plugging your PC directly into modem and see what happens. If you can't get online then your PC is having some sort of issue.Let me know what you find after trying these things and I'll see if I can help.
  • Options
    ME, ME! I'm pretty confident it's an IP issue. The IP that your computer wants has been reassigned to your roommate, so now you can't connect because he/she is on. You can change the IPs in the router settings, and check your computer's settings- change it so that the IP is assigned automatically rather than fixed. Our router has IP assigning issues as well, and this often happens to FI.
  • Options
    (or I should say, did happen often, until I finally convinced him to change it to automatic rather than trying to obtain the .1 address for himself when the router clearly wasn't able to assign IP's to MAC addresses with success.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards