Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friday wedding?

Hey ladies! So my FH and I were planning on getting married the Saturday before 4th of July 2010. We finally found a place, they didn't have our date, and suggested that weekend. He's in the military, so we thought it would be really cute.I guess some other couple called on Sunday and booked my date. So we could get married on Friday the 2nd, instead but I have reservations about Friday.We love the place and we love the idea of doing it that weekend...I just can't convince myself it's OK.Any thoughts?

Re: Friday wedding?

• Options
    My first thought is that you need to resize that ginormous monstrosity in your siggy.Friday weddings are fine, just make sure you start things late enough (6pm-ish) so that people will be able to get there after work.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Ditto Brie on both counts.
  • Options
    I've been to a Friday wedding before, and I didn't mind it at all.  It should be a lot less expensive too.  Do it a little later, don't expect every single person to see the ceremony and serve dinner and I think you'll be golden!
  • Options
    Fridays are fine.
  • Options
    Know your crowd when planning your wedding day.In my crowd Friday weddings are a huge pain because many people hole M-F jobs that they just can't be taking off Fridays for left and right. Also, think of the wedding party and how they may have to take Thursday too for the rehearsal.Secondly, people in my crowd would be psyched you were doing it on a holiday weekend but for many people families get highly annoyed you are breaking up existing family holiday traditions for your wedding.
  • Options
    INNER BRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Brie and would like to add that if your username is your real name, consider changing it.
  • Options
    aaaand, taking a page out of Fishy's sleuth book:How do you like Nevada Kayla Dubchansky? Cute blue tank and FI.moral - don't use your real name on here ok?
  • Options
    Is it REALLY important to have THAT weekend? People often think that holiday weekends are better for guests because they have an extra day off, but that's not usually the case. Many people DON'T automatically get holidays off and travel/hotel costs are significantly more expensive, especially on "big" holidays like the 4th of July. Also - many people have long standing holiday traditions that you would be asking them to give up to attend the wedding. FRI weddings are doable, but they need to be later in the evening and work better with a guest list that is mostly friends/family that are local.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are doing a Friday night at 6:30 pm, reception 7-midnight. People I have told about the date and time are all on board. We don't have many OOT. The ones that are OOT are pretty much family or in the wedding. We also recieved a hefty discount on our recprion because we chose a Friday.
  • Options
    Fridays are fine, if your people can get there for the rehearsal the day before (if you're having it the day before, and not day of).We thought about 4th of July weekend 2010 but decided against it b/c I couldn't do that to my friends.  I've been complaining about friends who get married on holiday weekends for years now, so I couldn't do that to them.  If you think about it, there are only a few three day weekends in a year and, if you work a job that makes it hard for you to take vacation time, that could be one of the few weekends that you can actually get away and have a vacation of your own.  Then, alas, your friends want you to come to some random location in some weird place that you'd never want to go to instead of going to Cabo or something, like you really wanted to do.  Almost every year, I have to give up one of my three day weekends to go to some random loc that my friends are getting married in and it gets old after awhile.  Just another perspective on getting married on a holiday weekend, for what it's worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards