Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Well crap...

I may have to get tested for the H1N1 [swine flu] virus. It seems that one of my students was going to get tested today. I find out tomorrow if she tested positive for it, and if so I have to go get tested. How utterly craptastic. Does anyone know how they test for H1N1? I know to test you for regular flu they stick a long cotton swab up your nasal cavity until your eyes water, a process I've only had to endure once. I really hope it's not the same process, or worse. I've been coughing a lot lately, but my allergies are acting up terribly, so I just thought it was an allergy cough. I really hope I'm right. TIA.

Re: Well crap...

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a blood test.
  • Options
    Navy has it right, it's a blood test and I heard it takes several days to get the results back.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I thought blood test too.
  • Options
    Oh geez. I'm terrified of needles. I really hope this little girl tests negative, for her sake and mine. I'm a certified baby when it comes to having bloodwork done or getting shots.
  • Options
    Well, I guess the mother didn't know the part about the results taking several days. I guess I won't find out until Monday.
  • Options
    SB, it might just depend. We live in a little podunk town and have to get most bloodwork sent to another city, so I don't know. We're probably just unlucky like that.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    it's a blood test. results take 2ish days. my dad had it and it sucks, i hope for the both of you its negative.
  • Options
    They throw you into a pig pen with some muddy pigs. If they puke on you, you have it. If they throw mud on you, you MIGHT have it and should be cautious. If they love you and want to wrestle, you're in the clear. Wear galoshes.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    lol  Fischy.The other gal I'm training with at the new job went home sick early yesterday and was gone today, feeling fluish.  Hopefully it isn't the pig flu.
  • Options
    Around here they're not even doing the test anymore.  If you have flu symptoms, they just tell you you have swine flu, give you tamiflu if it's available, and tell you to stay home for a while.  On here I keep hearing horror stories about being sick for 4 weeks, but everyone I know that has had it in real life (4 of which actually were tested and diagnosed, the others just got quicky diagnosed) was fine within 5 days or so and said it wasn't as bad as other forms of the flu they've had. Good luck, but I wouldn't worry too much!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Its a blood test, I had it about 2 weeks ago (negative).  The regular flu sucks just as much.
  • Options
    It's a blood test that you get the results the next day in Austin.  My swine flu was much worse than the traditional flu (for me).  I think I got hit really hard. 
  • Options
    I thought only high risk patients were getting the test...
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm not sure about how they decide who to test. The child in my class is four years old, so I'm not sure if that makes her a high risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards