Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

**expat pumpkin**

How long have you been in Mexico/ how long you planning to stay? Are you working there?My husband and I are ex-pats as well, in Panama City, PA. The original position was actually in Mexico, but due to a number of reasons (mainly being that his company decided to move the LA region head offices to Panama) we decided on here instead.Our term is officially 2 years, unofficially probably longer given my husband's results. I'm looking for jobs too, but am taking it easy as well. Panama is full of ex-pats, not sure if Mexico is like that? So I fall right into the group of ex-pat wives here. Our plan is to ex-pat to somewhere in Europe or Asia, and then finally picking somewhere to settle down and have kids (about 5 years till we will try).Anyways, it's interesting to see someone else in a possibly similar situation.Beautiful wedding btw!

Re: **expat pumpkin**

• Options
    That's really interesting. It's true. I have more time than I know what to do with. Even to keep my self busy with housekeeping isn't an option since we are provided with domestic help. I literally have nothing to do somedays! I never thought I'd complain about that. It's great to hear about your experiences. I love it down here a lot. I've also lived all over the world (India, Singapore, Holland, US, and Canada... before Panama), so I'm used to moving around. The life here is great though... much more relaxed and easygoing.
  • Options
    Yes, you get used to the domestic help very quickly ;) Our house has a maid's suite, but we use it mainly for storage and our maid keeps a few things there. She comes three days a week for the entire day and does everything. I do cook though - it's the least I can do! When we have kids, we'll have a live-in plus the current one to do the heavy cleaning/laundry. You get spoiled very fast here! I imagine it's the same way in Panama. This is one of the pluses...
  • Options
    Exact same. Our maid's quarters is the size of our walk-in... I can't imagine having someone sleep in there. But, like you, we use it mainly for storage (cleaning supplies, gardening stuff). The bathroom doesn't even have an option for hot water. Oh and no AC. It's all very strange to me. Is it like that there?
  • Options
    The maid's room could comfortably fit a twin bed and a desk - kinda like a small dorm room. The adjoining bathroom does have hot water, but there's no A/C, just a ceiling fan. Supposedly, since the maids have never had A/C, they wouldn't like it or they'd get a cold, etc. At least that's what people say. Interestingly enough, my SIL told me that we'll never have a revolving door problem with maids because they seem to enjoy working with American families. She says it's a status thing, but I say it's because we treat them better. In the six months that I've been here, she's had about four different ones, but I still have the same one...
  • Options
    I believe that it's how we treat them too. We've had a worker in the house right now (brand new house, so they're installing lights, tvs, acs, oh and of course a dishwasher :)), and I always offer him a drink or snack or something, they look parched all the time, it's HOT here. DH saw him eating his lunch on our driveway on the ground, and told him to come in and eat at the table. He looked shocked.I've spent literally the last 3 weeks while he's been working. Now he comes in so excited to show me pictures of his wife/daughter. He doesn't speak a word of English, but we manage to communicate.Our neighbors told us they're surprised he shows up daily, and how all their workers continuously left when other families moved in/ offered them more/ etc. I think the little things matter.
  • Options
    sorry for the interchanging they/him... It's him and his BIL, but his BIL is 17 and still in school, so usually comes later. The story was really about the one guy... my mind is going to fast for my hands!  
  • Options
    I WANT A DISHWASHER !!!! Yes, it's the little things. I save bones and scraps for her dogs, for example. Cooked extra when she brought her daughter a few times in the summer, and offered to let her play with the Legos we keep here for the niece and nephew (pics in bio of the cuties). These are all NORMAL, decent things to do, but not everyone here sees it that way. About the dishwasher, we're renting now and househunting. Our new house will have a dishwasher - even if I have to cut out cabinets! - and two sinks in the master bath ;)
  • Options
    Yes, this was a MUST. We had to extend our kitchen cabinets, which involved finding matching granite and everything, but we got one. Pretty sure our workers think I'm the laziest wife alive, but hey, in Canada I may have had a dishwasher, but had absolutely no domestic help. (I guess now I have both, so really I'm not helping my case!). Good to know someone is as appalled as me as to what's considered "special" treatment. It really is just normal things to do. We're all people FFS. The whole equality notion just isn't here. I remember the first day we bought the house, we were talking to another owner (who rented his house out, thank god). His worker came up and asked if he can get a drink from the hose. THE HOSE. Said owner turned around, told him he can wait to ask him a question as he was talking. He then proceeded to go on for 20 minutes while the kid stood there. In the end, we ended up saying we had to go.I remember one particularily hot day, before we had a fridge or anything, we just filled a cooler with ice, bottles of water, soda, juice etc. I think we become the most popular people in the neighborhood.
  • Options
    I completely agree - the way the workers are treated is really sad. I haven't seen anything as bad as what you just described, but unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me... And don't even get me started on animals :(
  • Options
    Animals I have yet to see. I hope I don't... that would make me really sad :( . We brought our 2 cats here with us, which people find odd, but they are our family. We plan on getting a puppy too. Anyways, my husband is finally home, so I'm going to go get started on my weekend. Have a great one! It's been great talking to you.
  • Options
    I brought my dog, too. Which some people also thought was strange. But he's my little guy :) Good chatting with you too. Have a great weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards