Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

**RachNRich**

I found it, i think i need to make it ASAP. Wow this writing is very big.Strawberry Napoleons August 21, 2009 Filed under: Dessert — lechevre @ 1:21 am Tags: chantilly cream, Dessert, napoleon, strawberries My husband and I moved this weekend.  I absolutely hate moving.  I think we’ve moved six times in the past three years.  Ugh. So, needless to say, we’ve been busy and a bit discombobulated.  Tonight,  I felt like I was making enough progress with the new apartment to actually cook.  I channeled Laura Washburn again.  This one is kind of iffy for me.  I’m not a big fan of citrus in dessert, but I asked my husband what he wanted and he wanted to give the lemon a shot.  The cream tasted a little metallic to me, so I added vanilla, which helped temper it.  Still, I think that this is worth a second go and lord knows that it presents really well. The next time that I make it, I want to make a Chantilly cream or possibly a basil-infused cream.  Those would be more my speed.  The recipe below is adapted from Laura Washburn’s.  The next time that I make these, I’ll add a recipe for the other creams. Strawberry Napoleons 1 lb. of puff pastry Milk for brushing Sugar for dusting 1 3/4 lb strawberries, thinly sliced Confectioners’ sugar for dusting Lemon Cream 2 extra large whole eggs and 3 egg yolks 1/3 cup sugar Freshly squeezed juice if 3 lemons, strained 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract Directions Preheat oven to 400.  Roll out puff pastry to a large square about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out rectangles to 5 x 3 inches.  There should be about 10 rectangles. Place rectangles on lined baking sheet.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until puffed and golden.  When completely cool, cut each one in half horizontally with a serrated knife to obtain 2 thin layers. Next, make lemon cream.  Mix eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan.  Add the lemon juice and vanilla and whisk lightly.  Add the butter and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick.  Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.  Let cool.  Whip cream until it holds stiff peaks.  Fold into the lemon cream until blended.  Set aside. Set one pastry bottom slice on a tray.  Spread with a spoonful of the lemon cream and top with a single layer of strawberries.  Add another pastry layer and repeat procedure.   You will not use all squares.  Refrigerate until needed, but no longer than 6 hours.  Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving. Edit:  I made these again tonight using Chantilly cream instead of the lemon cream.  Oh my god!  They’re out of this world good.  I found my Chantilly cream recipe on epicurious.com. Chantilly Cream 1 cup cold heavy cream 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar Directions Place mixing bowl and whisk in freezer for 10 minutes to chill.  Once chilled, pour cream in bowl and whisk until frothy and slightly thickened.  Add sugar.  Continue to whisk until cream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards