Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sad times... help

James travels at least once a month for work stuff.  My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and he just told me he has to fly out on my birthday, but he'll be back the following night.  So on top of him missing my birthday, it will also be the first night I spend alone in our new house.... on my birthday.  Which I think sucks!  Last year on my BDay, we were moving into our apartment and we didn't get to do anything either... which sucked too. :(So... before I see him tonight... should I just get over it... or stay in my sad depressed mood.  :(
I like dogs, but not to eat
Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

Re: Sad times... help

• Options
    I was in a LDR with FI for a long time.  I ruined many last days together by being upset that one of us was leaving.  I'd get over it and plan something for your birthday for when he gets back.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    That sucks.  Can you get a group of girlfriends or something to go out with you for your bday?  Then you can be out of the house and it won't feel so lonely and sad.
  • Options
    Yeah... I can get a couple of girlfriends together.  I'll probably be okay... still just sad though.  :(I need a moment...
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    It's work. It's not like he can help it or did it on purpose. If you stay pouty, then he'll only feel even more helpless and guilty. Get over it and plan something fun with the girls!
  • Options
    Get the girls together to celebrate on your birthday and then choose another day to celebrate with your FI.  You win then, because you get 2 birthday celebrations instead of 1.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    Well I would definitely be bummed but don't let that ruin your birthday.  Have your girlfriends over and then do a belated celebration with FI.  One day isn't bad, I've done this countless times just because we had plans on the day it fell on. 
  • Options
    I assume there is no way he can reschedule the trip, right?If that's the case I'd get together with friends and go out on my bday, and pick another day for a do over with him.
  • Options
    Uh, I would get over it.  Maybe it's because when I was a kid we always had birthday parties and dinners on the weekend before or after the actual date, but I really don't see what the big deal is.  So you celebrate the day before or the day he is back.  He is only gone for a day.  Be sad when he is gone for your whole b-day month or year.  If this is the worst thing you face on your b-day, consider yourself blessed.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    No, he can't reschedule... I guess there are other companies that have lined that day up too.  :(But... I will get some girls together to do something that night.  I will try to make the best of this darn it!!Forced happy face --->     :)
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    Meh, it's just a birthday.  You can always celebrate on another day.  FWIW, I almost always go out with my girlfriends to the bar/dancing for my birthday and FI has never come, just because he doesn't like to do that kinda stuff.  You can still enjoy without him - just plan for something fun after he comes back. 
  • Options
    Smokey... thanks for reminding me of that.  I often think of that when he goes out of town for his normal trips of 3 days to a week and I get sad.I guess I was just excited that he was going to be here on my birthday.  You guys were helpful though... I need to suck it up.
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    Like J&K, DH and I were in an LDR for a while and we always missed birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays. The most exciting part of my birthday this year was the Grey's premiere, so at least I had something going on.  So while we weren't able to do anything for my birthday this year due to both of us being busy with different things all day, I was just thankful to have him around. Look at the big picture here and do as J&K said - do something together for your birthday before or after.
  • Options
    Enjoy the time you have, and plan something with your friends on your bday.  That's what I'd do. Actually, I think last year I left FI at home b/c my friends and I went out that night.  But that's just me.
  • Options
    FI and I are LDR, so we miss birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, and all that all the time. My birthday is in July, and the last two summers I've been with FI during my birthday but he had to work overnights, so we only had a few hours to celebrate. The trick is to be creative.You say he's flying out on your birthday - what time? Could you guys do an awesome birthday breakfast? I took FI out for breakfast on his birthday this year because I was able to fly out for the weekend before, but I had to go home on his birthday to go back to school, and he had work. I took a bunch of pics of him eating his pancakes and put them in the scrapbook I'm making for our engagement years.Point is, you can turn anything into a special occasion.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Enjoy the you have together. Ruining your time with him with depression over not seeing him is silly. I feel your pain though, I've been in a LDR for 6 years now. It's not fun at all to miss each others birthdays.
  • Options
    the time you have*
  • Options
    Do something with friends on your actual birthday and then do something with him later. Even better because you get two celebrations!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards