Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Discuss.

I was just watching a segment about Native American sports team mascots on ESPN, and I'm curious about your opinions.  Are they offensive? Should they be changed? Are they honoring the tribe? Does it depend on which team? Some of the teams they were discussing: Fighting Sioux (Different than Fighting Irish?)RedskinsBravesIndiansDiscuss.
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: Discuss.

• Options
    Considering how long theyve been around, im surprised this issue has never come around before now. Maybe it has and I wasnt paying attention, but why now?
  • Options
    The only one that "sounds" like it could be offensive is Redskins, but that's JMO. 
  • Options
    These issues have been going on forever. I know with one of those teams, fans would do a tomahawk chop with their arm and do this cheer type thing. Was that the Braves? I remember people freaking out over it years ago.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think those teams have been around for so long that people no longer immediately associate the names with native americans. At least I don't. So, I really don't think it's a big deal, but maybe I would feel differently if I was native american.
  • Options
    It's come up in the past.  I remember a huge stink about the Atlanta braves back in 97. The fighting sious is offensive because the Sioux as a people are very anti-violence and have tried to live peacefully for generations.
  • Options
    Yup salt, its the Braves.  I hate the tomahawk chop with every fiber of my being.  Not because its offensive (which it sorta is), its because its so damn annoying!
  • Options
    I think people are overly PC about it.  They're just mascot names, and were never intended to be offensive. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My high school had to drop its old mascot "The Indians" several years before I attended.  They never did remove all of the Indian mosaics from the floors, etc. though.
  • Options
    There was a big debate about the Redskins and changing their mascot and name. I think that one is offensive, but the rest seem fine. And no, I don't think any of the names are honoring the tribes, although Braves does sound awesome.
  • Options
    Yeah it's been around for a long time.  A lot of college and high school teams have already changed their team names.  I think the Braves still do the tomohawk chop, but the Seminoles did or do it too, and the Seminole tribe apparently never used tomohawks, so there are issues with even just being correct too.  I personally think it depends on the team.  I think Redskins are without a doubt offensive at least to some, but I'm having issues with the Fighting Sioux. They are using the proper name of a group of people, and I don't see a big difference between that and the Fighting Irish.  Both are derogatory in their own ways, but there are loads of teams named after various groups of people (Spartans, Steelers, 49ers even).  I haven't decided what I think yet about Braves, Chiefs, or Indians.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Yeah, the redskins get shiit for their name all the time. St John's university in Philadelphia changed their mascot from the Red Men to the Red Storm a while back. Like most things in life, it depends...the florida state seminoles actually have a close relationship with the tribe. With the Cleveland Indians, I don't think that the mascot name is a problem, but folks do get offended by the mascot image (??)
  • Options
    I'm doing the Tomahawk Chop RIGHT NOW.OOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOoooOOoOOooooOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I never really thought about it.  My high school was and still is the Indians.  I never associated my high school with Native Americans.  When I see or hear a team with an Indian mascots I think of all the fun we had in high school and that's about it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm doing the Tomahawk Chop RIGHT NOW.OOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOoooOOoOOooooOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!Grrr!!  Though they're no longer in the running for the playoffs so I'm safe until March.
  • Options
    Grrr!! Though they're no longer in the running for the playoffs so I'm safe until March. Don't worry, hersh!! I'll make sure to bust out the Tomahawk Chop allllllllll winter!! :)
  • Options
    One of the biggest problem many Sioux tribes have voiced is that the UND mascot features a "Native American" head with a feather on it.  To the Sioux, eagle feathers are sacred.  Having that eagle feather plastered all over the place is not right.  Plus, their hockey stadium has the huge logo on the floor, so everyone is walking on this sacred feather. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    ::kicks dirt at georgia::  In the nicest of ways of course!
  • Options
    True, J&K, I think that a lot of people have issues with the pictures more than the names.  And that could be easily changed without really doing anything to change the school's history or reputation.  From what I saw today, the Fighting Sioux didn't want to change their name because it would lessen the importance of how many championships they had won (I forget which sport, I fail).  I think that's not the best reason, but in their defense they had a whole team of people assembled to research the history of the Sioux and conduct surveys on students, alumni, and faculty (both Native American and not), to collect opinions on the matter.  I also think this could be just a personal preference.  Some Native Americans might be offended while others might not care at all, or might even be happy that their culture is in the public eye (although not necessarily correctly, and this is all just from the ESPN thing, so I could be way off).
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I think I'm going to make a sports team and call it the Imperialist Colonizers.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    The college I'm attending was originally the Indians but after about a year of back-and-forth over it, they ended up changing our color (only a slight difference) as well as the mascot--we're the stupid red wolves now.but that's not nearly as pathetic as my high school mascot--the friggin jackrabbit.
  • Options
    All I've ever been is a Wildcat or  Bulldog, so I got no controversy there.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Sarah - aren't you fighting blue female chickens?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    There's a high school here who are the Terrors.  Their logo is an eagle, but I'm surprised the district hasn't made them change the name.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Hockey, tlv.  And they have managed to gain the support of all but two tribes, if I remember correctly.  There was this big hullaballoo because the guy that donated the money for the hockey arena said he'd take it away if they changed the name.  He purposely put the mascot all over so it would be super expensive to change it if the name got changed.  But, he was kind of a nutbar.  Anyway, I don't really think changing the mascot will trivialize their championships.  I mean, they're still UND.  I think it's a stupid argument, and I'm one of few (non Native) people that went there that thinks they should just suck it up and change it.

• Options
    hershey, you got dirt on my giant foam tomahawk!!
  • Options
    One of the high schools in my hometown was the Rebels.  The mascot was a military guy complete with Confederate flag.  They eventually made them get rid of the flag.

• Options
    Yeah, I am, unfortunately. I really like the idea of the blue hen because I think it's based on a Delaware infantry outfit in the Revolutionary War, but I think that stupid chicken costume is one of the lamest and most generic-looking mascots ever. I refuse to accept that thing as representing me, and so I am and will always be a Scarlet Knight.But overall, I think all those Indian names are pretty gross and we wouldn't be keeping sports team names that were any other racist slang.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Ahh that makes sense. I really don't know if I think they should change it, just because if they do I think there are loads and loads of other schools who will need to follow suit, but I do definitely agree that the hockey championships are not a good argument.  That's not why they named the school mascot that in the first place, and it doesn't make sense for that to be the only reason to keep it.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Redskins, yes. The rest, no.Redskins has been used for centuries as an offensive term for Native Americans. The rest are simply tribes. Therefore IMO not offensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards