New York-New York City
Options

Wedding Ceremony near Columbus Circle, Reception in Hudson Valley

I belong to a church near Columbus Circle and would like to get married there.  For a reception, I have been trying to find a venue for ~175 guests for a Saturday evening for $140 or less per person.  I would love for the venue to have some outdoor terrace or garden space.  This just doesn't seem to exist in or near the city.

Is it too much to ask guests to attend a ceremony near Columbus Circle  (Manhattan) and then drive (or perhaps train or organized transportation) to Poughkeepsie for the reception?  It would be about an hour and forty minute drive, or similar duration train ride.

What do you think?  How far is reasonable to ask guests to drive between ceremony and reception?

Re: Wedding Ceremony near Columbus Circle, Reception in Hudson Valley

• Options
    vienna1121vienna1121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we ran into the same problem. my parents church was near columbus circle but the reception was in tarrytown. we wound up using a church closer to tarrytown. poughkeepsie is a little far to ask people to travel unles youre not expecting everyone to go to the church first.....we use teh doubletee hotel in tarrytown and they had a really nice outdoor space with a gazebo if youre looking for something closer to the city.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I think that is way too far.  I would say that guests shouldn't have to travel for more than 30 minutes to get to the reception location.  The only thing I can think of if you really want to do that is to provide transportation for everyone.  I have no idea how much it would cost to hire buses to transport everyone. 

City Hall Restaurant might fit your needs and budget.  Although they don't have an outdoor space

I also wanted to add that you might want to look to the outer boroughs for the reception.  It would not be as far and you should be able to find something within your price range.  

The other option is to not have the ceremony at your church. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's way too far.  Boat House will be nice but I think they will be over your budget.  I attened a wedding at Manhattan Penthouse, I think it may work for your budget.  There are also few places at Chelsea Pier host weddings.
  • Options
    kapabekapabe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! 
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    That's way too far to expect guests to travel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board