Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Please tell me this is a good thing.

Okay, so back in June, FI and I went to Dallas for a week so he could test for their Police Dept.  We got a call a month ago saying they were starting his background check.  We didn't think anything of it, and figured we'd be living here long-term at this point.We sign a lease on a townhouse, buy furniture, etc.  We have it all fixed up in here and just paid our first full month's rent.  I'm thrilled with it and it's only a mile away from my parents.I am extremely close with my parents - EXTREMELY.  My mom is my best friend, outside of FI, and FI is close with my dad.  Well, FI calls me tonight while I'm at the grocery.  They called his last residence - where his parents live - and where he was living when he tested with them.  They sound very interested in him and want him to call back ASAP.I am SO proud of him because this is what he's wanted for so long, but the idea of moving 10 hours away scares the SH*T out of me.  I know noone in Dallas.Ughhhhh.

Re: Please tell me this is a good thing.

• Options
    ETA: Oh, and FI's job here SUCKS and I am looking for a job.  So, financially, we have nothing keeping us here.  
  • Options
    If he got a job 10 hours away then you move 10 hours away. It's a bummer that you just moved and will have to do so again, but if it means a good job for him then the decision is already made.
  • Options
    Is this position a step up for him, career wise?
  • Options
    My folks live in a suburb of Dallas (assuming you mean TX). They really like it. They are in the Grapevine area (but not exactly). DH's cousins also live in a couple of the suburbs and have for many years.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I'd be nervous too...but think of it as a new start!! You'll look even MORE forward to seeing your family when they visit or vice versa.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Then look at it like it's a great thing.  I hope he gets it - that's really a great thing he's doing.  Good luck to you both!
  • Options
    You just answered my question. Looks like you're moving to the Big D. That's where I lived before I moved to DH's hometown. Let me know if you have any questions about where to live, etc.
  • Options
    expat - HUGE step up, career-wise, which is why we both want it to work out.  I'm just reallllly upset.  Big changes with one phone call.
  • Options
    I completely understand how you could be feeling scared...I am very close to my family as well...but 10 hrs isn't too far...if you have nothing else but family holding you back than I say go for it...take some time to be together and build a life for yourselves..your family wouldn't want to know they held you back from your FI following his dreams...take a leap! At least you have each other...
  • Options
    expat - Would you mind giving me your email address so I can email you when I come up with questions?  If not, I totally understand.
  • Options
    I moved from NY to Arkansas to be with DH.  I know know one here and I'm 22 hours from my family and friends.  It sucks, but we won't be here forever and it's what's best for his career right now.  Plus, it was kinda nice to do something 'new' - I always took the safe route from HS directly to college directly to a job.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    FI is from Dallas/Ft Worth and I love it there :)
  • Options
    OP - weatherlyalicia AT hotmail DOT com
  • Options
    i moved to nashvile, tn in july for fi's career. we were looking at san francisco, nyc, washington dc, miami, los angeles, kansas city and nashville, tn.i was a little disappointed but it is what was best for his career and i my work is flexible, i work from home.both of our parents live in texas. his father lives in iran.but it just made sense and it has been great. good luck!btw, i don't know a single person in tn, besides mwhitson and that is internets!
  • Options
    I moved to CO because of a corporate merger. I had never been here, but decided it was a good move for me and my daughters, so we made the leap and never looked back. It ended up being the best thing we could have done. Yes, it was scary as hell. But I'm glad I did it.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    sucrets - I'm the same way.  I think this is why it's scaring me so much.  I'm such a homebody.  I hated living in the freakin' dorms which were 20 minutes from home.  I have always taken the safe route, and this is just such a huge change.FI's on the phone with Dallas PD now - I'll update when I know something.
  • Options
    I hear how scary moving to a new place is. Especially not knowing anyone. I lived outside of Dallas for a good 5 years when I was a kid. Love it! My mom's side of the family is all in that area and I'm trying to get my FI to go down there and visit everyone. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is great. I lived in North Richland Hills, which is just outside Forth Worth. I've also lived in Irving. Also a nice city.
    Photobucket
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Stephanie  Castiglione's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    missamory - I'm in Nashville, so you can "know" me too - for now! Ha.
  • Options
    I up and moved across the country when I was 21 and knew next to no one. And was by myself. You guys have each other. It will be okay! You'll need to give yourself time to adjust, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I moved to the west coast in 2005 and left all my best friends in Baltimore. It was hard being that far from family, but you will be with your best friend when you move right? You'll be fine!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Dallas is a great city, very easy to get around. Tons of restaurant choices and very reasonably priced real estate. I'd recommend Uptown as a landing place for newcomers. There are lots of bars, restaurants, gyms, book stores, dog parks and trails, etc. and the neigborhood is pedestrian-friendly.
  • Options
    If he got a job 10 hours away then you move 10 hours away. It's a bummer that you just moved and will have to do so again, but if it means a good job for him then the decision is already made.I disagree with this.  In OP's case, yes I do think it's going to be a good thing. But I don't think that means the decision is already  made.  There are a lot of things to consider when making a move that big, not just one person's job.  That said, bcs, look at it like an adventure! If at least one of you had a good job where you are now, it would probably be a harder decision, but just focus on all of the positive things that could come out of this instead of focusing on the negatives.  I'm sure it won't be easy, but just focus on the positive!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    bcs, its an adventure. Last June, I took a chance and quit my job teaching to move from NC (where I grew up) and the east coast (where I'd lived all my life) to move to Iowa and move in with then-FI. There was no engagement ring then, only the hope of one and the talk of "that's where I plan for it to go". HUGE leap of faith. Closest relatives are now my parents at 12 hours. In NC, I had a grandmother 45 minutes away, and my brother was 5 hours away. You have each other, you have what you need. That is a great area, and it is an opportunity to build your lives together. It sounds like an exciting time. Keep us updated!!!
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards