Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is it ok for your Wedding Date to be your birthday?

I can't decide on a day.  Basically, I had everything all planned, ready and then with all the drama, I canceled everything but the after party, a 7 day cruise to Cabo.  Anyway, that day is a Sunday, so to keep with the celebrations, I thought it only makes sense to marry at the JP that Friday.  The only "problem" is that that Friday is my birthday, MY 40TH birthday to be exact.Anyway, not sure what else to do or if this is just odd/weird.  All opinions/perspectives welcomed.  Thank you.  

Re: Is it ok for your Wedding Date to be your birthday?

• I think it's totally fine so long as you don't do anything stupid like sing happy birthday at the wedding.
  • There's an awful lot of 'I' in that...what does your FI think?And, ditto sarah.  Just don't advertise it.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Do you want to get married on your birthday? Then get married on your birthday. That being said, if you cancelled everything but the afterparty - how did you not lose all those deposits? And is it a honeymoon, or just a party? I feel like there's something off about this whole scenario. 
  • Oh gawd no! That would be almost morbid!  Actually, not sure yet that we'll have any friends, relatives at the JP.  From the JP (Friday) we would fly to Disneyland where we would await our friends (arriving Saturday), start celebrating and then port from LA that Sunday.Less stress and lots of fun...that's my theme! :-)Thanks again, Sarah!:-)
  • We're getting married on FI's birthday, for what we feel is a good reason. October is a big month in both families for birthdays, so it's a big celebration in many ways. We don't plan to sing happy birthday, but if it happens, whatever.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • if you don't mind no one else should either.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • so everyone is going with you on this cruise? I think that sounds really fun.
  • Have you talked to your fi about this? You're kind of setting him up for a daunting task of celebrating your bday and your wedding anniversary on the same day.
  • daunting? my fi would find it great he had one less date to remember.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only money I lost was on my dress, which wasn't much.  The only money I had to rush to put down was for the cruise so that we could get that rate, everything else was either ample notice or in the planning stages, which is why I had to act fast.  As for the date, my fiance doesn't mind.  I'm really picking that date just for the convenience because the cruise was the "after party."  We live together, bought a home together so this honeymoon business is not our thing.  We love our time together and spend as much time together alone but for this, we'd love to celebrate it with the people we love who also care about us.   Definitely VIP  ;-)
  • Brooke....OMG!!  THANKS FOR LIGHT BULB!!!  My fi's birthday is December 25, so we celebrate TWO things on Christmas and I always try to do everything I can for him so that he's not "cheated" but with my birthday having a double celebration, that would make it even!!!  BRILLIANT!!
  • Thanx Miss.....i agree....daunting?? nah.....
  • Yes daunting, as in he may feel under pressure to plan two big celebrations into one day so one isn't diminished by the other. That may not be a concern in this situation depending on the people involved, but it should at least be brought up.
  • If it doesn't bother you, why would it bother anyone else? The only thing I can think of for not doing it, is that it will be more difficult for anyone to throw you a birthday party, because you already have anniversary plans, or vice versa. My mom's birthday is the day before their anniversary, and it's never really been a problem. but she's not really the birthday party type.
  • It might be one less date and present for FI to remember!My stepfather's first wedding was on his birthday. (It was also my parents' anniversary.) It's really not that strange because 1) he remembered his anniversary for the 2 years he was married and 2) There aren't that many Saturdays in June, and it just so happened his birthday was on the first Saturday.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm late coming back to the conversation, rach, but I realized that I could give you more justification for a birthday/anniversary. My cousin and his wife have the same birthday and chose to get married on it. It actually makes it really fun for the family (not to mention easy to remember). Oh, and their son's birthday is three days later.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • We almost got married on my birthday because it happened to be on a Saturday and the venue had it open.  DH was actually really excited about the prospect of only having to remember one date.  And I actually think it's funny that now it would be "even" :).
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Dh originally wanted to get married on my birthday but I really didn't want to have it on my 25th. However my dad did propose to my mom on her birthday, so now he has kudos points of remembering the day he proposed.I think your plan sounds fabulous.Dh manages to get three rounds of presents in December. He was really born on Dec. 3rd so I get him something small, then his official legal birthday is December 23rd, so he gets more stuff, then its Christmas 2 days later, so he gets more stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards