Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hair Loss

I used to have very short hair--less than an inch all around. My hair was very damaged from dying it over the years, so I cut it all off repeatedly until all of the color/processed part of my hair was gone. This was last July--So over the last year and some odd months, it's been growing back, in it's natural color. I get it trimmed one in a while, but I really trying to let it grow--so I avoid the accidental hair trims that result in hair [i]cuts[/i]. Lately, however, I feel like I'm noticing a lot of hair falling out. The shower drain is constantly full of hair. And I always feel like I have hair on myself. Perhaps it's been so long since I've had long hair that I don't remember how normal it is for a certain amount of hair falling out. I read online that 50-100 pieces of hair fall out on average a day--but it feels like I'm losing much more. Any suggestions or advice as to what's happening? or am I just losing my mind, and not my hair?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hair Loss

• Options
    I have really fine hair, and it clogs the shower drain, and gets all over my clothes, FI, and the apartment.  It's pretty normal.  I wouldn't be concerned unless you're noticing patches where it's noticeably finer, or balding.You mentioned your auto-immune disease in another thread, and before too.  Is it a side effect of any of your meds, or a symptom of that? 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Or if you're really stressed, or eating a poor diet, that can also make hair loss worse.

• Options
    I lose so much hair DH claims he is going to knit a sweater. But it's pretty normal.. I think  you just notice it more because it is longer.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I know I lose a lot of hair, but i have a lot of it so it does not make much difference.  Do you have think hair?  My moms hair is incredible think and would fall out when it was long so she got it cut short and has been so much better.  So maybe when you hair was shorter it was not falling out but now  that it is long iit is falling out.
  • Options
    Part of me thinks it's just that my hair hasn't been this long since I was in high school, so I don't remember constantly picking hair off of myself. The other part of my thinks because of the autoimmune crap I've gone through is playing a part in this. I haven't been on meds for it for over a month--and I'm just starting to notice more hair all over. No noticeable bald spots, but my hair is not nearly as thick as it was last time it was longer.
  • Options
    From my limited knowledge, it seems like your autoimmune could definitely play a part.  Don't quote me on that, but from what you said, and the little I know about them, it seems like it makes sense.However, like you said, it's been so long since you had longer hair, that you just might not remember how much loss was normal.

• Options
    stoopid hair.
  • Options
    Ditto lynda, it's because it's longer most likely.  I've ben going through the same thing and DH hates it.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I have very fine and thin hair, so I shed like crazy. It always clogs the drains, gets all over my clothes etc. I wouldn't fret about it.
  • Options
    Mag I hear you on that one!  Its not pleasant to see all 50-100 hairs in your hand at one time.  Curly hair is awful for that. In the three weeks leading up to the wedding, I was losing hair by the chunks.  I am attributing it to poor diet and stress.  Now if that really thin patch will start to grow back. I had read about Nioxin here and am using that to try to help fix the losing the hair bit.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    T's mom and older sister both use Nioxin for their thinning hair and they said it has helped a lot. I'm not really sure how much hair I lose...when I use to do my hair over carpet I'd notice it alot but I don't know..(aren't I helpful)
  • Options
    I have been having this problem lately too.  I find a lot of people are having this problem lately.  I have no idea what causes it.  Our shower/bath drain has been clogged 3 times in the last year.  I have never clogged a drain before.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    try taking biotin supplements, and also use Nioxxin shampoo
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    This may sound crazy, but are you using Pantene shampoo? I bought the Beautiful Lengths shampoo because my hair grows about an inch a year, and I started noticing that I was losing A TON of hair. Not just in the shower, either. I would run my hands through it and have at least 10 strands on my fingers. As soon as I stopped using the shampoo,it stopped happening.I also recommend biotin, you can buy it in the vitamin section of any store. I've been taking a hair, skin and nail supplement for a while and that seems to help with breakouts as well.HTH!
  • Options
    i have fine hair, when it was short i never really remember it falling out. Now that is it is long i feel like i loose a ton of it, i asked the Doctor because i was a little freaked and she said chances are since it is not thinning and i do not have bald spots that i have always lost that amount of hair and am just noticing it because it's long.
  • Options
    I shed a bunch and have fairly long hair. Between me, the long haired cat, and the dog we are always cutting hair out of the vacuum brushes.I've also heard that if you drink more water and get more natural oils (omegas?) it can help.
  • Options
    [i]This may sound crazy, but are you using Pantene shampoo?[/i] Actually, Yes--I was! I had just started using it when I noticed the hair more--and actually just switched because I couldn't stand the shampoo and how it made my hair feel. Interesting. I'll also have to look into this Noixxen stuff....
  • Options
    Ive read stuff about it and you have 100,000 hair follicals, andits normal to lose around 100 hairs a day. Its more noticable and seems like youre losing more hair the longer it gets.Ive started taking a prenatal vitamin to help with my hair, im convinced its thinning but i have no thinning spots or bald spots, so it might just be the curly hair affect others have mentioned. Im growing it out so its getting quite long as well so thats a factor.
  • Options
    I have very thick hair and it falls out constantly...our shower drains and sink drain in the bathroom have to have Drain-O treatments at least every 10 days. FI jokes about it being like we have a golden retriever.Like PPs said, unless it is in specific noticeable patches, I wouldn't worry too much.Make sure that you have enough fat in your diet (healthy fat like olive oil) to keep your hair/nails/skin healthy as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What kind of birth control do you use? This could also be a factor...
  • Options
    Oh sorry, I just say your posts about going off the pill. Could be that you're noticing hair loss now because the pill you were on caused your hair to grow in fuller. And now that your body's not getting those hormones your hair is going back to normal.
  • Options
    All sorts of things can cause you to have thinning hair. A thyroid or hormone imbalance, stress, illness (like your autoimmune problems), medication, etc... If you haven't had a check up/blood work lately, it might be a good idea, and mention the hair loss to your doctor. I had quite a bit of hair loss due to stress and a thyroid problem, and it dramatically thinned my hair. The Nioxin shampoo/conditioner and treatments helped. It didn't dramatically increase hair growth, but it sure slowed down the loss. Vitamins wouldn't hurt either. Baby your hair, treat it very gently, and avoid chemicals and heat styling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards