Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

wedding date?

I'll skip the long story, but we may be moving our wedding date up (from August 2010). Our options are May 8th (day before Mother's Day), May 29th (Memorial Day weekend) or June 18th (day before Father's Day). Which do y'all think would be the least disruptive for our guests? No STDs or anything have gone out. Thanks! :)
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: wedding date?

• Options
    Why are you picking such crappy days for your wedding?
  • Options
    Ditto Jess. Why ONLY holiday weekends?
  • Options
    Have you picked a venue yet?  That may decide your date for you.
  • Options
    I can say Memorial day is the MOST disruptive, but they all suck.
  • Options
    I think the day before Father's Day is probably the least disruptive, as I think that's the least celebrated of the 3 holidays (and I don't think people travel much for Father's Day, though I could be wrong).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Those are all probably fine. I'd imagine that June 18 might be the least disruptive, as kids should be out of school by then, and people don't always make big plans for Father's Day.
  • Options
    Of those three choices, I think Memorial Day would be best if you have a lot of oot guests.  If the majority of your guests are local, then I think either Mother's Day or Father's Day weekend would be fine as long as the wedding were on Friday or Saturday, not Sunday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't consider Mother's Day and Father's Day to be holidays that a wedding would disrupt. I think June 18th. I don't know why.
  • Options
    Jess, who is the person in your siggy pic?
  • Options
    I have to disagree that Memorial day is better for OOT guests. With the airlines starting to tack on extra fees for holiday travel + high holiday travel prices anyways, as a guest I'd be pissed to have to pay inflated travel prices to come to your wedding. Higher hotel rates, higher airline rates, etc. Hell I'm getting married freaking Columbus Day weekend and everything was about 10% more than the rest of the weeks in October so guests were complaining. Get married on a Saturday that's not on a holiday weekend and your guests won't need to take off work or pay ridiculous travel prices. It's the most considerate thing to do.
  • Options
    Ditto June 18, since most kids should be out of school by then. I'm guessing the other dates are all booked, and that's why you're stuck with these weekends?
  • Options
    Coco - It's that wicked Knot Annie.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't want to post a long story, but I should have at least included that those are the only dates available for those months at our venue where we have our deposit. The timing has to do with my fiance losing his job and us probably moving out of state.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Coco - It's that wicked Knot Annie. Haha!  Yeah, she's pretty annoying. 
  • Options
    June 18th is my birthday, so I'm voting for that! It is an awesome day.
  • Options
    Another vote for June 18th. I would do some sort of shout out to all the fathers there too.
  • Options
    Some of you are so dramatic. As if having a wedding the day before mothers day or fathers day is going to seriously inconvenience your guests. As for memorial day, I agree that it's not the best weekend since a lot of people go out of town, but as long as you are okay with some people not being able to come for that reason, then do it that weekend.
  • Options
    My birthday is May 9. It falls on Mother's Day all the time (including next year). It could be worse (*cough*Nebb*cough* - just kidding), but you'll have to determine if you want to share your anniversary with another gift-giving occasion, especially when/if you have kids. That might not actually be a BAD idea, since it cuts down on the number of celebrations your family needs to have. Just consider it. Memorial Day isn't a gift giving holiday, and it would certainly be a nice weekend, but people might have long-standing plans. My family had a lake house when I was younger (Dad now lives there full time) and we almost always went there for holiday weekends and a lot of the summer. I think you need to expect that guests may be inconvenienced on any of those weekends. So you might have a smaller turnout than you otherwise would.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    June 18th is a Friday.  I am getting married June 18th.  I didn't even realize it's the weekend of Father's day until I read this.  Oops!
  • Options
    Maggie, I can't believe you are getting married Father's Day weekend since it's such a MAJOR holiday. How rude of you. You absolutely must cancel your wedding and move it to another day!
  • Options
    Our date is May 8, so clearly I don't see an issue with it being a "holiday" weekend.  We did ask our moms, though, and they're fine with it.  For us, it was the only weekend in a several month span that we could get hotel rooms for OOT guests at a reasonable rate.  I would recommend the fathers' day weekend instead, though, as flowers are sometimes inflated for mothers' day.  Aside from that, though, I think it will be fine.  We may do something small to commemorate Mothers' Day at the reception, although I'm not quite sure what yet.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    June 18th.  My sister got married the day before Father's Day.  I really didn't think anything of it.  Never considered that a holiday weekend.  Of course families celebrate differently, but Father's day in our family is a call and a card.  A gift at the most.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards