Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

boar-dum

I'm sitting in class and it is sooo boring.  Anything interesting happening?  (Just don't tell me what's happening on Survivor.  I'm DVRing it.)

Re: boar-dum

• Options
    I am about to eat 4 giant, delicious artichokes. It is the #2 most exciting part of my day :)
  • Options
    I am debating whether it would be overly annoying for me to call the animal shelter right before they close to make sure nobody put a hold on or adopted the dog we want tonight.I might as well.  It'll be a different person than I talked to this morning, and if they want me to stop bugging them they can let me put the hold on the damn dog already.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I have been feeling like death warmed over all day and thought a shower would make me feel better. I was wrong. I have done literally nothing all day but feel too crappy to even be bored.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    so basically, the answer to your question is no, nothing interesting is happening.
  • Options
    I am excited for Grey's/PP tonight - both episodes look really good. I look forward to those shows every week. I have never watched The Office, so I don't understand the excitement about Jim and Pam's (those are their names, right?) wedding.
  • Options
    Brie - I would keep calling. Why won't they let you put a hold on him?
  • Options
    GG - those are usually my DVR shows for Thursday since FI hates them, but he's working late so I get to watch!
  • Options
    I'm psyched for The Office tonight!  Ggmae - I didn't get into it until last year, and I borrowed all the old seasons from a friend.  Love it!
  • Options
    GG--they have a "48 hour hold" rule, so they are making us call back on Saturday morning and a CC deposit over the phone on him to get the hold set then.  Even though I told them, "hey, we will pay in full for this dog right now, we just can't pick him up until Monday night," they are making us wait until Saturday morning to officially hold him for us.  So, we have to hope he doesn't get adopted tonight or tomorrow.I'm hoping to talk to someone more sympathetic tonight.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing really. I'm watching some crime show where a guy is accused of killing his wife by putting anti-freeze in some gatorade.  She wrote in an email that her husband keeps giving her yellow gatorade and she just does not like drinking it any more. DH loves Gatorade.   But he just announced he will not longer be drinking yellow gatorade.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm confused. Brie, if you guys have to wait 2 days, wouldn't anyone else have to wait 2 days too?
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Tlv - My guess is not if someone else saw the dog a day or 2 before Brie. Then their 2 days would be up before her's. Brie - That's frustrating. I'm sure they have the policy for a reason, but talk about a rollercoaster!
  • Options
    Brie (again) - How are you planning to introduce the dog to the cats? I really want a dog one day, but am nervous because of the 3 cats. I know they are territorial and would worry about them bullying a dog. I'm sure that they would get used to each other after a while though.
  • Options
    tlv--no, you don't HAVE to do a two day hold.  If we had wanted him last night, we could have walked out with him assuming our landlord check was okay.  They will do a 48 hour hold for you if you aren't sure about adopting the dog.  Our problem is that we know we want to adopt him, and would pay for him right now in full if they would let us, but they're making us do the hold anyway since we can't come pick him up until Monday.   It's just annoying.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    GG, I think we're going to let the cats sniff the dog in his carrier or on a leash for a bit before we let him loose.  Both our cats were dog-tested at the shelter we got them at, so we know they're fine.  Southpaw actually was fostered with three pit bulls for awhile!  We're also going to ask for advice when we pick him up.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm still confused. You have to put him on hold before you can put him on hold?
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Haha, tlv, it's confusing.If you go in and like a dog, you can adopt it and take it home immediately, or the next day or something.If you go in and you're not sure if you want to adopt the dog or not, they can place a hold on the dog for you while you think it over for 48 hours.  After 48 hours, you have to decide yes or no.Because we know we want him, but we can't get him until Monday, they're making us pretend like we need the 48 hours of decision time to hold him for us like that.  So, if we want to pick him up Monday, we have to make the hold on Saturday morning--they won't let us have an extra few hours of holding time even though we're willing to pay.  It's all stupid and doesn't really make sense.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Brie - My cats do okay with my parents' greyhound. When we first introduced them, the cats were swatting and hissing at the dog, but they get along great now. I can only hope that when we do adopt a dog one day that they truly are good with cats. Having worked at a shelter, maybe you would know how it's figured out if a specific dog is good or bad with cats. Do they test each dog with cats?
  • Options
    Ooooh, so the hold can't be more than 48 hours? Hopefully I get it now.  Either way I hope you get him! His first road trip should be to St. Louis.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    We already had two cats and just got a puppy a week and a half ago.  The cats are mostly staying upstairs away from the puppy for now.  I think they'll eventually get used to him, though.
  • Options
    Well, I just called and he wasn't adopted today!  So, he just has to make it through six more hours of open adoption hours tomorrow without getting adopted and we can put a hold on him.  At least this woman was sympathetic/nice.  The woman this morning was really rude about it.tlv, FI's best friend/GM just moved back to STL with his wife.  I'm sure we'll be there a couple of times a year!gg, this shelter doesn't cat test their dogs.  Apparently one went awry one time so now they just don't do it.  But, the shelter we got our cats at tested them together and both of ours were fine.  I think they'll be okay.  They're pretty laid-back.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds kinda dumb Brie.  I would think they'd want cash sooner rather than later.  I hope you get the dog :-) I'm sitting around debating watching netflixed SVU or The Office wedding.  I haven't kept up on The Office really though.  I might go experiment with the new eyeshadows I picked up, bonus for me for finishing my 3 weeks of training.
  • Options
    Coco - That's what I'm hoping for - that they will respect each other's spaces and get used to each other sooner or later. We probably won't get a dog for another few years, so my cats will probably be much lazier then.
  • Options
    Thanks mocha.  I'm hoping I didn't jinx us by buying half of PetSmart today, but we might be picking him up straight from our trip so we need to be semi-ready.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gg - the only problem is when the puppy goes upstairs because he wants to play with them.  The cats are not pleased when this happens.
  • Options
    Coco - One of my friends adopted a dog and she also had a cat previous to that. The poor cat is secluded to one room in the house because whenever she tries to leave the room, the dog chases her back in there. I didn't think it was very fair, especially since that was the cat's territory. And my friend does nothing about it. Poor kitty.
  • Options
    Have you posted pictures of said dog, Brie? Does he have a name? I personally would just call tomorrow when they open, put a hold on him, and then call on the day the hold expires and pay for him, saying you're coming to get him then. And then call back and say you've got a flat tyre and you'll be in tomorrow- but seeing as you've paid for him, you hope this isn't a big deal. But that's mostly because ridiculous rules that make little sense confuse me. I had to do a similar thing when I went to get Nomad- Nomad appeared on my doorstep as a kitten. In order to gain legal ownership, I had to put him into the shelter, where they desexed and vaccinated him, and then go back to pick him up in three days when he was ready, if I wanted him- or else let him get rehomed. I kept phoning asking if I could put my name down next to him so when he was ready after the three days, he wouldn't be put out with the other cats looking for homes, but they refused- so instead, they had to tolerate me calling every hour on the day he was due for release. I wasn't going to risk him going to someone else, and they wouldn't put my name down on him as a hold until he was officially ready for release, so...
  • Options
    There's a picture on my blog, sun--also I posted one in a thread last night called "Meet our new dog."  It's probably on page 2 or 3 by now, though!That's not a half bad idea about the flat tire, though.  FI is honest to a fault, though, so I don't know if he'd go for it.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards