Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Choosing a mattress

FI and I are planning to buy a new queen bed.  What about a bed is important to you?  Do you have any mattress purchasing advice?
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Choosing a mattress

• Options
    The only advice I've ever heard, but it worked for me. Go to a mattress store and lay on a variety of them until you find one you both like.  That's what FI and I did when I bought our mattress.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    My advice is to, if at all possible, upgrade to a king size.  That way you aren't bumping into eachother all the time.  You can sleep right next to eachother if you want, or completely seperate. 
  • Options
    only lay down on ones you can afford. i learned this last week. i am obsessing over a matress that is about $500 out of my price range. dont be like me.
  • Options
    I laid on bunches and bunches.  it's just about trying them out.  If you get a warranty read the fine print - some companies warranty goes bad if you get a stain or anything on the mattress.  So buy a mattress cover.   
  • Options
    Be prepared to spend some good money on a good mattress.
  • Options
    Ditto PP.  We eventually picked one where the inner coils were all lined and separate from each other.  This way we don't feel when the other person rolls over.  If you're considering memory foam be warned that lots of people say it traps body heat really well when you sink down into it.  It was too hot for me to sleep when we had one.
  • Options
    I would second upgrading to a King....they really are so much nicer....and def avoid ones that are out of your price range...oh and dont let a sales person talk you into one you dont really want
  • Options
    To add to what people said about trying out the mattresses... don't wear a skirt when you go mattress shopping.We have a memory foam from American Signature furniture and I love it. They have a base model that does not have 'air pockets' (I don't know the technical term), but it is worth the money to upgrade to the model with the air pockets.
  • Options
    A good mattress is worth the money, however much it is. But shop around; prices can vary pretty wildly. And yeah, try a lot of them. I'd consider narrowing it down to a couple your first time out and then going back another time to re-try just those few again.
  • Options
    I love our temperpedic.  It is the best mattress I have slept on.  I like a firm mattress and it is great and I don't get too hot with it either which is usually a big problem for me. Not cheap but it was bonus time and B had the money.
  • Options
    Wear your PJs.  Or, at least comfy clothes.  You don't want to discount a matress for a lump that turns out to be your belt or something.  Have plenty of time so that you don't have to rush.  Also, keep in mind how long you're going to have it.  If you intend for this one to last 5 years, buy accordingly.  That's a much different price point than 15 years.  And ditto the matress pad suggestion.  Get a good one.  Makes a ton of difference, in my opinion.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Get a king. Seriously, if you can fit it in the bedroom, get it.  Esp. if you, like me, have a middle-sleeper in the relationship.  Or a dog who sleeps on the bed.  I have both.
  • Options
    Lucky for me, DH purchased a great mattress a year before we started dating. He chose a queen-size pillowtop Sealy because it was most comfortable and in his price range. I think that a mattress is an investment, so make sure to get one that you both like.
  • Options
    I'd try all different types of mattresses, too (i.e. pillow-top, Euro-top, etc). For me, this was something I didn't mind splurging on, so cost wasn't an issue and I ended up with a really nice Euro-top that is divine. Also, I second checking out the warranty on the mattress. I read mine carefully, and the warranty is void if the mattress isn't set on a frame.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I disagree with the raves about king sized bed.  DH and I love our queen and actually don't like sleeping in a king at hotels.We got ours from Denver Mattress Co. and it wasn't crazy expensive, but it's suuuuper comfy.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We have joked that when we buy a mattress and bed we are going to jump all around on it because we are so tired of squeaky beds!! So jump around, roll around, whatever you need to do. 10/10/10 Bride!!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are actually considering a sleep number. DH has had a waterbed for - oh, I don't know - 15 years? - and I've only ever had good quality innerspring beds.I've been sleeping in this godforsaken waterbed for 16 months now, and I wake up grumpy every.single.day.We like queen size (had a king in Vegas, and it was okay, but I don't mind sleeping next to him - plus, our bedroom won't hold a king).I think that's what we might take half the cash we got from the wedding and put it towards. The stupid waterbed certainly isn't helping my back.I do have a VERY nice innerspring bed, but then we'd need a new bed as a guest bed. And, I don't know if he'd like that. He might wake up grumpy every day.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards