Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Stupid to be pissed?

My best friend, who lately I have felt very distanced from, just messaged me at the last possible minute to ask if I wanted to go out with a group of friends. I said no because my knees are bothering me and I am broke (and I explained why we are broke). She replied "I didnt really expect you to come anyways". For some reason, that really ticks me off, like she was just trying to prove some point by asking me. Am I being stupid?

Re: Stupid to be pissed?

• Options
    It seems like it was a dig at you. Thats how I would have read it.
  • Options
    Yes but I'd be hurt too, like why even bother asking if she's going to say something like that, she should've kept her mouth shut.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    She also knows I never do things last minute, ever. She is going out now, and just asked me 20 minutes ago. What is the point in that??
  • Options
    That would have bothered me, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    oh so to actually answer your question: I'd be really annoyed.
  • Options
    I HATE last minute plans. I would be annoyed anyway. A lot of old friends of mine always said that to me when I wouldn't go out. Keyword--OLD friends. There comes a time when it gets annoying. I would be bothered.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely be annoyed at that comment. What the hell is that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    No - she's being rude.  Why call with an invite if she didn't expect you to come.  Sounds like she's trying to annoy you.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think shes implying I never want to go out and bail on plans, which I do, because I hate going out. She knows that. I hate bars. She spun it like she did it to try to include me, but asking me 20 minutes in advance to do something she knows I dont like to do is pretty jagged.
  • Options
    I'd be ticked too.  That was an unnecessary statement on her part.
  • Options
    No, youre not wrong.  That's making a point to make a passive aggressive punch at you.  It's a p*ssyfooted way to try to make you feel bad.   It sounds like she's feeling distanced from you as well, but that's a really immature way to handle it.   A coffee and some frank talk may be in order. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    ditto east.  Call her and go to lunch.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    No, you aren't being stupid. I am like you and don't like last minute plans, so I would have declined the invite as well.
  • Options
    She also knows I never do things last minute, ever. She is going out now, and just asked me 20 minutes ago. THIS is why she said "I didnt really expect you to come anyways". She plans things last minute, thinks of you - maybe you'll come out tonight... and then you say no, like you normally would, because you don't "do things last minute". I would be hurt too... but maybe she's peeved you never fly by the seat of your pants?For the record... I. Plan. Everything. ALWAYS. I do not fly by the seat of my pants. I'm just analysing, since you posted.    
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a friend (sort of - we're not as close as we once were) who would pester me and our other friends if we didn't want to go out. Usually the excuse was "Eh, I'm pretty broke right now, so I really can't buy drinks tonight." And she'd repy, "You don't need to buy a drink! There's no cover." And my friend and I would respond, "Yes, if we're going to a bar, we need to buy a drink." For social lubricant purposes and because bartenders tend to not like it if you take up valuable chair space, drinking water. Why do some people just not get it?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards