Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Polishing Chargers?

So, I bought used chargers that are silver plated from another knottie a billion years ago.I no longer have her contact info, can't remember her screen name, know she doesn't post, etc.I can't remember what she told me was the easiest way to polish these suckers.I bought some Tarnex and was thinking about having like a little assembly line one bucket of water, one bucket of Tarnex and then a towel to wipe them.Any ideas??? I have 125 of these to do...

Re: Polishing Chargers?

• Options
    Your plan sounds pretty good.  I mean, it's probably going to take a while, but I'm not sure how to do it any faster.  Unless there was some solution you could dip them in or something. 
  • Options
    What you're suggesting sounds as good as anything I can think of. Get a couple BMs together or FI to help you with them so it won't take so long. Also, read the Tarnex directions very carefully, it's potent and could probably do some damage. I would take one charger and try to clean it that way and make sure it doesn't damage them in any way before you dunk them all over in the Tarnex. Especially since they are just silver plated.
  • Options
    Tarnex works great, but make sure you have some rubber gloves and a face mask.  It stinks really bad.  If you could do it outside with a bucket of tarnex and then a hose to spray them down it might be faster because they'll have to be rinsed really well.
  • Options
    Ah, so you're saying Tarnex then rinse, do I need to rinse before also?? Okay, rubber gloves, mask, and I was DEFINITELY going to do it outside!Thank you!
  • Options
    It might be helpful to rinse beforehand.  It definitely couldn't hurt. 
  • Options
    Also, the rinse afterward is necessary so the Tarnex doesn't keep eating at the enamel.  And to get the awful smell off.
  • Options
    Vicmo is right. Tarnex does have a strong smell. I don't think the smell will stay with the chargers after they have been washed off. But just in case, leave them out for a while before boxing them up.
  • Options
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Google "electrolytic cleaning plate." They work, and are a LOT cheaper than buying the amount of Tarnex you will need. http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/20371-electrolytic-cleaning-plate.aspx?sourcecode=AW1GB1018&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=20371
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    The only thing about that electrolyte plate is that if the silver plate on the chargers is very thin, it could clean off too much & show the base metal through in spots.  Of course, that's possible with vigorous scrubbing too.  So, like pp suggested, test the most beat up one and go from there.  Since I don't imagine these chargers hold sentimental value for you, it may not matter if they're a bit worse for the wear in the big scheme of things.  That method will def be easiest, fastest, and least smelly!  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    My wedding is Saturday, so I don't know if I have time to order that and wait for it to get here... Nothin like waitin till the last minute - I know!
  • Options
    If that's that plate with the holes in it....line the bottom of your sink with aluminum foil and fill it with hot water.Add 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup baking soda. put the pieces in.(I've done it without the salt and it works).
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Here, one more link with info/ideas.[url]http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Antiques/How-Do-I/8109[/url]
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Oh jees.  I love how they advised against using Tarnex. Oh well, I think I'm going to just mess with one or two (I have extras) and see which method works best. THANK YOU!!! You've all been very helpful!
  • Options
    aluminum foil ling a sink full of hot water with a ton of salt and borex Place the silver item touching the aluminum foil. It self removes tarnish
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards