Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

kitty on the counter dilemma

I have an indoor cat, and she's pretty well behaved, except she jumps up on the kitchen counters. She knows she's not supposed to be up there because I've caught her up there and she jumps down really fast before I even say anything, but what can I do to stop her from going up there when I'm not home?

Re: kitty on the counter dilemma

• Options
    Take her with you when you leave.
  • Options
    Get used to eating hairy food? When mom's away... :)
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Crinkled aluminum foil or bubble wrap is supposed to work, but we haven't really had success with either. 
  • Options
    Just getting really good at catching her and doing whatever (spraying, shaking a can with coins) when you're home will train her not to go up there ever.  It took a long time for my cat.  Something else that helped was putting some crumpled tin foil on the counter while we're gone.  They don't like the way it feels under their feet.  But do a test run while you're home to make sure she doesn't want to eat the tin foil.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I used to have this problem.... until I put the fear into my cat :)  Now it's much more rare, althoguh he still does attempt it. I was given a few suggestions, and although they didn't work for me they might work for you: 1.  Sprinkle medicated baby powder on the counter.  The powder burns their noses so when cats smell it they try to stay away from it. 2.  Get car floor mats and put them on the counter upside down so the little posts poke the bottoms of the cat's feet when they are on the counter.  Supposedly the cat doesn't like this and will stay away. 3.  Put aluminum foil on the counter.  The sound is supposed to scare them away. My cat is strange and actually liked all of these.  He also enjoys being sprayed with a water bottle.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Get double sided tape and cover some papers with it then leave them all over the countertop so they'll get stuck to her paws if she goes up there.
  • Options
    one of my cats doesnt mind being sprayed with water, but he HATES vinegar water. try putting some vinegar in that bottle and see what they think.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas, ladies. Hopefully one of them will work!
  • Options
     try putting some vinegar in that bottle and see what they thinkI'm going to try this.  Thanks for the tip.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The aluminum foil seemed to work with M's cat
  • Options
    two words: spray bottle

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I have this problem with my dog. We sprinkle a little cayenne pepper around the edge of the counter and when the dog jumps up there, she gets a nasty surprise. It may not be the nicest thing to do, but it works for the most part. Find something cats don't like to smell, as PP recommended, medicated baby powder may work. It won't take but a time or two, and the cat will hopefully learn to be a good girl. Or at least you'll see the little paw prints in the powder and have to find a plan B.
  • Options
    My cat [in siggy] started doing the same thing right after I got him, when I was in college.Well, one night I was cooking dinner and while I stepped to the refrigerator he apparently jumped up on the counter, and apparently while he was up there his tail touched the eye on the stove that was on.He didn't make a sound, but I caught him on the counter and yelled at him to get down. When he jumped down I noticed a thin trail of smoke coming off the top of his tail! So, I grabbed a wet rag and put it over his tail.Luckily, it just singed the hair off his tail [which grew back] and made the very top skin of his tail a little red, like a sunburn.So, he basically taught himself not to jump on the counter, he had to learn the hard way.
  • Options
    Cats also notoriously hate the smell of citrus, especially oranges.  If you're going the smell route, maybe leave a couple orange slices up there?  Or squeeze some juice around the edge.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    The vinegar water works!!! My mom also put a tiny bit of vicks (vapo rub stuff) on the edges of furniture and it keeps my brother's Great Dance from putting her head on it.  Everything is a head rest to her, like her head is too heavy so she needs to set it down.  That dog is ridiculous, in a good way.
  • Options
    We put contact paper on the countertop a few times, sticky on both sides so it won't move and the kitties didn't like things sticking to their feets.  It had moderate success.Another thing was putting peppermint extract in water in a spray bottle.  They very much dislike minty pepperminty things, so that chased them away pretty good.
  • Options
    NicoleSaharra,If it makes you feel any better, my husband literally just sent me a picture of our dog on the kitchen table. Our 45lb lab...on the kitchen table. Be happy yours is a little kitty??
  • Options
    I had this issue with a kitten and a leather couch. Nothing worked in keeping him off it. Finally, I purchased battery operated alarm pads (from a online pet specialty company). At the slightest touch, a shrieking sound would emit. A few times of that, and he's never jumped on the couch again. That was 7 years ago.
  • Options
    Stun gun. Works like a charm :P My orange tabby constantly does things he isn't suppose to, including counter hopping. He's just bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards