Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Haunted Hayride

My cousins run an acting company that is putting on a Haunted Hayride this season. DH and I went on Saturday and it was okay - definitely scary for little kids, but not scary for us.My cousin just emailed me to ask if DH and I would like to help them out this coming weekend. They need someone to operate a chainsaw and another to play his victim. Lovely, huh? DH and I hate acting and have severe stage fright, but I feel like it could be somewhat fun. It's dark, so it's not like anyone would see much of us. I have a feeling that DH will give this idea a big thumbs down, but I'm going to ask him in a few hours.Anyway, I'm just rambling. Has anyone ever been to an awesome Haunted House or Hayride?

Re: Haunted Hayride

• Options
    I'm not a fan. I hate chainsaws. I did help at one in high school and had a blast. I was a crazy lady with chains.
  • Options
    A few years ago, my FI and I were part of a very well-done neighborhood Haunted House, which is also not our thing, but it ended up being a lot of fun.
  • Options
    H worked at a haunted house when he was in high school.  I believe he wore a gorilla suit and had to jump out of the dark at people.  He got punched in the face a few times, but he said it was a blast.
  • Options
    Cew - I'm not usually a fan either, but we went to support my cousins. And I'd feel bad saying I can't help - we have no plans this weekend, so no excuses. I once played a mutant gorilla at my church's Haunted House. That was weird.
  • Options
    I've been a part of a haunted trail for a few years, I won't get to this year though :( It's a ton of fun, just take a water bottle with some lemon to combat sore throat from all the screaming :) Otherwise I say go for it! They put so much make up and fake blood on me no one guessed it was even me! And to answer your actual question, the best Haunted House I went to was in Clarksville that the Bikers club put on, it was awesome. FI and I are looking forward to a Fear Factory one this year about 30 minutes away that we've heard great things about.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I've been to some that are fun, although it takes a lot to actually scare me.  It's the people who are terrified that make it more fun.  I ended up sitting next to screamer and jumper the last time I went on a haunted hayride.  I laughed so hard.There's one in a small town near me that had some Disney involvement getting it all set up.  I've heard it's terrifying and I'd love to go check it out.When I was in high school I played a witch in a kid's haunted hayride thing.  It was about 25 degrees out and they wouldn't let us wear anything warm under the dress they gave us.  It suuuuuucked.  The best part of that night was the hot chocolate they provided when we were done.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We went to a pretty good haunted farm a few years ago.  You walked through the woods, to various out buildings, and such.  I'm super jumpy, so they got me a few times, but it was more fun and funny than scary.  Except for the homicidal clown.  I almost cried.  I hate clowns.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    He got punched in the face a few times, but he said it was a blast.This is my gut reaction when people jump out at me. Your poor H.
  • Options
    We live for that stuff. LOL. We're going to www.plantationblood.com -- next weekendAnd www.hauntedmontrose.com -- this weekendAs for volunteering -Do it! You'll have a blast, I promise! I've volunteered in several haunted attractions and it's always so much fun. Don't worry about stage fright, people will be too scared to notice if you mess up and you're the one doing the scaring anyway! Have fun!
  • Options
    Not in many, many years, but the Jaycees (I think it was) used to put on an awesome one in Columbus GA. I went several times in high school (this was 24+ years ago).I'm hearing there's some good ones in the Iowa area, so I'm hoping DH will take me to some.Our church, believe it or not, actually did a scary Haunted "Tunnel" one year. And no, it wasn't a "repent your sins" type thing, it was actually part of a Halloween carnival, and we dressed up scary and everything. Jumped out of hiding places in this old tunnel just like a real one. No weapons or murderers, but ghosts/ghouls, etc.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    What was muntant about you? Did you have an extra arm? That would have been cool. I know you have stage fright, but do you think you'd be okay if you were in a costume where no one would recognize you? For some reason, I would think that would make me less inhibited, you know?
  • Options
    Last time I went to a haunted house I kicked the guy that jumped out revving his chainsaw.  I felt bad for about 2 seconds.  I think that would be a fun opportunity.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cew - A mad scientist had done something to me, and I was much stronger and meaner than your average gorilla. I broke out of the cage and lunged at scared little kids. Poor things! As for the stage fright thing, when DH and I went I can honestly say that I didn't even see the chainsaw guy and victim. I heard them run by and saw shadows. I guess I'd be okay. I just have to run screaming and DH would have to chase me. It'd probably end up being fun..
  • Options
    The last time I went to a haunted house H and I got lost.  He was walking behind me and I rounded a corner and this guy, dresse dlike a zombie, jumped out at me.  Instead of jumping I asked him if he could tell me which way we were supposed to go and he got pissed that I didn't react to him at all.  H was practically rolling on the ground he was laughing so hard.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I say go for it. And bring back pictures!
  • Options
    I've been to a few, but nothing that really scares me.  Maybe I'm just too logical and skeptical, but they don't really get me because I know something is going to come out of the corner or from the ceiling.  Too many bad horror movies maybe?  Or maybe I just haven't found a really good one yet.
  • Options
    Whit - I must have missed the Biker's club Haunted House last year. I didn't get to Clarksville last year until the day before Halloween.
  • Options
    He got punched in the face a few times, but he said it was a blast.I jumped out from behind a door at DH (the BF) one time. He punched me in the stomach. He caught himself in the process, but I still got half socked in the gut. Note to self: Don't scare DH, he swings.Helping out with the hayride sounds like it would be fun, you should go for it!
  • Options
    My dad and brothers converted their barn into a haunted house the past 3 years. I got to be in it last year and it was awesome. My oldest brother has a friend who is a budding special effects/lighting designer and they had some really professional stuff going on in there. They charged admission and gave the money to charity. Like their entire school came!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Salt - Very cool, and how nice of them to donate the money! What part did you play?
  • Options
    I grew up with the queen of Halloween. My mom does a haunted trail every year. She has done it for about 15 years now. It is so much fun to scare the heck out of people. The chainsaw ALWAYS gets the best reactions.
  • Options
    I was based off of this character from 30 Days of Night: [img]http://z.about.com/d/horror/1/0/d/1/-/-/30DaysNight6.JPG[/img] And I had blacked out contacts and these awesome fangs and was chewing on a severed leg. It was the goriest costume I've ever worn. My brothers are all such good and helpful kids. :) This year they were going to do a haunted hayride, but it got nixed for logistical reasons.
  • Options
    Salt - That is one creepy picture. I bet you scared a bunch of people.Ang - A few little girls on the wagon screamed when they heard the chainsaw. The punk adolescent boys were shouting "You don't scare us you fakes!" Lame.
  • Options
    ggmae, I haven't been to it but I hear the one in Old Saybrook (or maybe Westbrook?) is VERY scary!
  • Options
    The punk adolescent boys were shouting "You don't scare us you fakes!" Lame.^ -- It takes A LOT to scare me. So, in general, I just enjoy going to the attractions and walking through. I might throw in a scream here and there for effect, but I can't stand people who come and say things like that! If you aren't scared, fair enough. You knew it was "fake" when you came, but the point is entertainment. Don't ruin it for other visitors or offend the people who put so much time into creating it!
  • Options
    This is probably a stupid question, but will the chain saw be on?  I wouldn't do it if it was on.  Not b/c I'd be afraid of FI, but I'd be afraid of him being bumped, dropping it, whatever.  I imagine a parade of horribles.I've been to a haunted house that scared the daylights outta me (my first as an adult - waaaaaay different than how I remembered it as a kid), and another that was Meh.
  • Options
    Yeah you always have some punk kids no matter what, meh.I love, LOVE the vampires on 30 Days of Night. That is how I vampires should be.
  • Options
    SK - There were 4 of them and they were very rude and disrespectful. They were shining lights (and laser pointers) in everyone's eyes and the little girls on the ride were yelling at them to stop. I told them to be respectful of others who had paid to see this, but they didn't listen of course.
  • Options
    [i]I love, LOVE the vampires on 30 Days of Night. That is how I vampires should be. [/i] You're damn right!! gg - I made quite a few children cry. I don't know whether to feel bad for or be proud of that.
  • Options
    Carrie - It is on, but they take the chain off. So it sounds (and smells!) like it should, but there is not much danger involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards