Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is this a good deal?

I know prices vary based on location, but does this sound like good value for the money.$69.95/person. Includes tax + grats.-outdoor ceremony location (covered verandah), -non-alcoholic punch-chef's choice of 2 hot and 2 cold h'ors doevres-Sit down meal (salad, grilled chicken with choice of sauce, roast potatos, veg. medley) Mousse or cheesecake.-Unlimited wine with dinner, 1 hour open bar before dinner, and 4 hours premium bar after dinner.-Coffee/tea service-late night pastries, gourmet pizza squares, coffee tea and cut your cake.-chair covers and linens.To me the meal sounds kind of basic, we are having 150-160 people. Is 5 hour open bar long enough? It is $30 a person to upgrade to 8 hour bar.

Re: Is this a good deal?

• Options
    Sounds like a great deal.  We're paying $68.95 for something similar, but with a little more food, wedding cake, and one hour less of open bar.  5 hours is plenty I would think.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Given the prices that I am paying, what I am getting, and prices at other venues that we checked out before booking, I would say that is an amazing deal. We're paying $56 per person and it includes nothing. We get a cake that isn't good, bread, the salad, an appetizer, and the entree. Nothing else. Any other food and drinks are extra for us.
  • Options
    Tax and gratuity is extra for us as well.
  • Options
    The meal is way basic, and that sounds like a lot to keep the bar open after dinner.  I'd want more options than just wedding chicken, potatoes and veg.  In fact, I don't know that we'll even be doing chicken b/c it bores the heck out of me.
  • Options
    We paid a good amount more (in CT) for something very similar, minus the chair covers. I'd say that is an amazing deal, and I also think that 5 hours is plenty of time for an open bar.
  • Options
    We can choose the appetizer- options are bruschetta, soup, or garden salad.Do most people like salad best? Bruschetta bread is more filling, but there are rolls on the table as well.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me.  What's the difference between open bar and premium bar?  How long is your reception?To me, 8 hours is too long.  As much as I like to drink, I'm a wimp and can only go for a few hours.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    What's premium bar mean?  I thought it was cash, since you said it'd be open before dinner, then 4 hrs premium after.  But if it's 4 hrs open after dinner too, then maybe this is a better deal. I still think the meal is really basic, but maybe that's something you can live with.
  • Options
    Oh, and the only thing I'd add is have the bar open during dinner.

• Options
    If you were getting married in a cooler month, I'd go with soup but the salad would probably be best.
  • Options
    Premium bar = more expensive alcohol is offered.
  • Options
    I don't get why it would randomly change part way through.  I'd try to negotiate the same bar for the entire time, even through dinner.

• Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear the 69.95 includes 1 hour bar before dinner, and 4 hour bar after (so like 7pm to 11pm) we can pay the extra 30/person if we'd like it to go during dinner and until 1 am.If given the choice would you have grilled lemon chicken, or "sirloin of beef au jus"?
  • Options
    I think that's a pretty decent price, however I'd try to get more dinner options.Also, I think 8 hours of open bar is a bit much.
  • Options
    I hate my city.  Everything is consumption bar and minimum $5/drink.This sounds like an incredible deal.  I think I will open up a wedding place and have all inclusive packages like that. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I should mention that this package is their least expensive package, and is usually only available november to april, but we negotiated and they said we could have it in May.We haven't signed the contract yet.
  • Options
    Oh and most places charge $60 just for the meal alone.  Let alone appys and booze. I would pay extra just to have the bar open during dinner.  It's rude to close it down I think.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I would just eat the potatoes since I'm a veg.  What about a pasta option?Is the only way you can get an open bar during dinner to upgrade to the 8 hour one?  That seems like a waste.  Maybe you can replace the premium bar after dinner with an extra hour.

• Options
    That's a good idea sucrets, There would be wine on the tables but I know not everyone likes wine. Perhaps they could do regular brand bar all night and keep it open during dinner. We're in Canada, and liquor prices/taxes are very different here.
  • Options
    Lauralar- what kind of entree do you get for $56.00?
  • Options
    If they're only charging $30 for an extra 4 hours (3 hours after plus dinner), then I think that's a great deal, it's just not necessary to have a reception that long. 

• Options
    Wow. I've been trying to keep it to $100/pp and that doesn't include ceremony site. Though we are getting an open bar with well alcohol the whole time, 4 passed apps during cocktail hour, and a choice of 2 entres. Plus dessert, linens and valet parking. Of course, my wedding is half as big! I would say that if you are okay with their food, go for it. Unfortunately, I know most places won't give you a tasting until you book with them. Do they have a restaurant? (It seems like this is a country club type place?) Can you try a meal there to see if you like the food?And sorry, but if I was at an 8 hour wedding reception, I wouldn't stay the whole time. If you want to be out until 1, I'd plan to wind down the reception at 11 and go out for an after party, like maybe at your hotel bar.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    After we book they will let us try both entrees to decide, but don't have the option to try before. But they were the "Local newspaper reader's choice banquet hall of the year for 8 years in a row", and friends have told us they have yummy food.We are going on Thursday, so I will inquire about Vegetarian options as well as how much to have the bar open during the meal.Thank you all for your help!
  • Options
    yw, prep, good luck!

• Options
    We're serving a vegetarian meal, a boring lemony chicken, and a porcini pistachio crusted beef entree. Everyone loved the beef at the tasting so we wanted to offer it, but it's the most expensive of the three entrees offered, so that's what we pay for all entrees. :(
  • Options
    That sounds like a yummy beef dish! That sucks that you have to pay the same price even for the vegetarian meal.
  • Options
    We didn't really get to shop around with our venue. We looked at a few other places, but my immediate family is in central MA and his whole family is in central CT, so we kind of had to pick a half-way point, which left us with two venues to choose from. Which, is why I'm always whining about the bar, it's going to be expensive for us to have an open bar because we get so little with our package, but we don't want to not have it so... OK I'm whining again I'll stop now. :)
  • Options
    I think it's a great deal. But I'm not a fan of the entree. I thinkbits because I'm just wedding chicken out. $30 for an extra 4 hours is a good deal. That is shy of $8 an hour. That can be a drink or two pp. DH can easily put down 3 drinks in an hour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Sounds like a really good deal to me.Where I'm from, getting a place to include linens and chair covers is very uncommon. My venue DID include this, but most of the venues in my area charge anywhere from $5-$10 extra a head for them.5 hour bar sounds fine to me ... but also, I'm from an area where the reception doesn't last much longer than that, so I don't know if that helps.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    That seems a little steep for me. But that's because my pp cost is somewhere in the 30 dollar range with about the same amount of food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards