Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'm miserable- bloggy

Ok, so I just need to vent.  I'm texting/calling people and nobody is around.  Biitches, they're supposed to be at my beck and call. Anyway, I'm feeling really crappy about my job lately.  I just hate it so much.  It's customer service basically, and I don't like people or talking on the phone- both of which I do ALL day.I cry a couple of times a week, and I'm always miserable all day Sunday at the thought of having to go to work Monday.  I exhaust my sick/vaca left and right to get days off.  I would just quit, but A) economy sucks, so I don't know that I can get anything else and I only have about 4 months of savings and B) my boss and co-workers are absolutely wonderful, so I'd feel terrible leaving them.I want to go back to school, but I'm afraid to be without health insurance and financial stability.  Plus, I always convince myself that I still won't be able to get a good job after I spent all that money (already have a BA). K, sorry, that's all.  Just venting :(

Re: I'm miserable- bloggy

• Options
    Hi.  My name is Moose and I have the same symptoms that you do.I chose to go back to school. 

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Same here. I'm going to be quiting my job and going back to school full time next fall.
  • Options
    Apply for GA positions.  With most of those, health insurance is part of the deal. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I really want to do that, Moose.  My dream is to be a pastry chef, and I have even toured culinary schools, but I can't get brave enough to just quit my job and do it.  I feel like a total whiny, wussy failure.
  • Options
    What's a GA, night?  Grad Assistant? 
  • Options
    If you get an assistantship, a lot come with a stipend and some sort of insurance.  Or you an always get independent insurance.  It's really not as expensive as people think, unless you have pre-existing conditions.  Or, some insurance companies offer a Major Medical plan.  If you're generally healthy, but just worried about an accident, or something like that, it covers things like ER visits and ambulance rides, etc.Seriously, life is too short to be miserable every single day.  At least do some research into your options.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Me too!  Me too!  I hate both of my jobs right now (IT & Coaching).  I need to move to a new assignment with my company, but FI and I are planning to move after the wedding, and if I switch positions now, I likely won't get a good rec or help transferring to another location.  So, I'm stuck.  It sucks.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I'm experiencing the same exact thing you are.  I am miserable everyday because of it.  It's awful.  I don't have any advice to give you, but I am hoping that the job market rebounds soon and people start hiring again. 
  • Options
    Sorry, GA is graduate assistant.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I would've loved to be a pastry chef, but I like my current wage and lifestyle far too much.  And I'm SO not a morning person so getting up early to have stuff prepared isn't going to happen.I still love baking though and do it every chance I get.One option I looked at for a period of time was opening a dog bakery.  There appears to be a greater profit potential in that than human baking.  Sad, isn't it?  But there's a lot of potential in online business with the pet bakery as well as farmers markets and eventually your own storefront.  And no early mornings!But, I actually chose to get a degree in something else.  I think I may have made the wrong choice because if I really want a degree in the area I want to specialize in, I'm going to have to live in Toronto for a few years.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Kiki - Right there with you but can't justify another degree when I already have 2.  Pastry chef is something I would be interested in too but BIL was a chef and after hearing his stories I am hesitant. 
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat.  I hate coming to work and I use as many sick days, vacation days, and personal days as possible.  The crappy thing is is that the pay and the benefits are great, so I feel bad about wanting another job. I finally submitted my resume for a few other jobs in the area.  I know that they'll each come with a pay cut, but at this point, that's something I'm willing to deal with to find something better suited to me. I agree with PPs, no job is worth being miserable at.  Our jobs/careers are huge parts of our lives and we spend a lot of time at them, so finding something that is more suited to you and makes you happier is very important. Good luck!
  • Options
    I thought about going to culinary school - I have two degree (one is a law degree).  But chefs starting out don't make a whole lot of money and with the hours and the likelihood I would end up a Ina Garten unlikely...  So, I just keep trucking along.
  • Options
    It does take some balls to just quit to pursue something you are passionate about. I never even thought about it until FI said something.  I was gobsmacked.Yeah, the no insurance thing would kinda suck...but are you relatively healthy?  If so, go for it.  Heck, see if you can swing a pt gig while going to school full time.  That's what I'm going to try to do until my pro years.
  • Options
    Do you practice law cacoffer?
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    I was in your same place a few months ago and went so far as to inquire with the local IADS. The tuition gave me a near heart attack, and fortunately things improved on the job front. Hopefully the same goes for you.... :)
  • Options
    Oops, I meant IADT and, small world, I was also looking into culinary arts. On the bright side your boss and co-workers are wonderful, which is sometimes very rare.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support, and I'm also glad that other people are in the same boat.  I agree that life is too short and I spend WAY too much of my time at work to be unhappy here.  If I can hang on, FI said he'll put me on his insurance if I want to go to culinary school after we get married.  I'm not too worried about not making much money- I make a pittance now and I guess I've gotten used to being broke :)
  • Options
    Indeed, vally- the co-workers/boss make it hard to hate it some days.  I can hardly remember what it's like to work with people I don't get along with.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're in that position.. You seem really sad :( have you considered meeting with a career counselor to discuss your options and have somebody help you weigh out the costs and beneifts? I totally hear that you feel bad about leaving your coworkers, but what would you tell your FI to do if he was in your position? Make his coworkers happy while making himself unhappy? Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do. Btw, I have a GA through my program (the most expensive program in my field, as I just found out. Awesome). It doesn't get me health insurance, but it takes care of a chunk of tuition and looks great on a resume..
  • Options
    I've been there, and I've now come out on the other side much happier. I was working as a marketing assistant and all I did all day was talk to people and listen to them complain to me over the phone. I was driving an hour in traffic to get to and from work. Most days that hour was spent crying. I quit my job and went back to school. I've now finished up my second degree in Accounting and I'm scheduled to take the first part of the CPA exam Nov. 21st. Life's too short to be miserable. So take your life by the horns and go after what you want!
  • Options
    poli- I actually did a career counseling thing a few years ago.  She told me I should do web design, but I just wasn't that into it. 
  • Options
    Night, no.  I think that's why I'm miserable.  I hope to soon, but the market is ridiculous right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards