Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cheesy, lame, or sweet? Opinions, please.

We are planning on having a song played (pre-recorded music) when we light the unity candle and sign our marriage certificate. I am thinking about working with my choir director and recording me singing the song as a surprise to FI. I know I'll be too emotional to sing it "live" during the ceremony. So what do you think? Cheesy, lame, or sweet?

Re: Cheesy, lame, or sweet? Opinions, please.

• Options
    Cheesy and sweet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    IMO, cheesysorry
  • Options
    I gotta go with OOT on this one - cheesy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    sweet if you sing well. I have heard brides sing at weddings and can't believe someone ever told them they were a good soloist.
  • Options
    cheesy and kind of lame, but thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    Sing to him in private if it is wedding related.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I would think that was really cheesy.  But I'm an @sshole.  I can;t get into hokey stuff like that.  I'm sure lots of people would find it sweet.  And if he likes it, who really cares what anyone else thinks?** Assuming you sing very well.  Don't subject your guests to bad singing, for any reason.  No one wants that. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I think it's sweet if it's a major part of your life. Singing has been a huge part of my life for my entire life. Mark would love for me to sing at our wedding, but I'm not sure I'm going to.
  • Options
    If you have my voice- lame, awful, and a huge mistake.If you can sing- Go for it! I would if I could.
  • Options
    cheesy and lame
  • Options
    Are you really, really sure you're a good singer? I always feel awkward listening to people sing
  • Options
    Cheesy.  Regardless of how awesome a singer you are. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I could give a more informed decision as to whether this is a good idea or not if you could record yourself singing something, upload it to YouTube, and post the link. Or maybe I just need some entertainment.
    image"
  • Options
    What is the song? This makes a a difference too I think
  • Options
    Chessy, Lame and sweet.  but mostly lame.  I think most recorded  music in these type of situations is lame (singing not instrumental)   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I had an ex-boyfriend that thought he was awesome at  writing romantic poetry and thought it was something that chicks (including me) just swooned over.  The whole process was awful, cheesy and so uncomfortable.  I used to cringle inside when I saw him coming with another poem, because it was just so cliched and lame.  *shudder*This reminds me of that.  Maybe its relevant, maybe it's not.  Just saying. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions.  FWIW, I do sing well, and it is a major part of my life. I would definitely listen to it ahead of time and have others who know what they're talking about it evaluate its quality before I subjected my guests to an awful recording (plus, I do not want to embarrass myself or FI with something terrible).
  • Options
    I sing, and I'd feel weird listening to myself sing during my own wedding.  Seems out of place- the wedding is about us, not me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I say this whenever singing at weddings comes up, but my brother sang live at his own wedding while his bride walked up the aisle toward him. I thought it was going to be a total AW moment when I heard he was doing it, but it turned out beautifully and I cried buckets while it was happening. It can go well in the right situations. I much prefer live music to canned, though.My brother will be singing at my wedding too, and I am really looking forward to it.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    sarah, I prefer live music as well, but our ceremony is outside, and because of logistics, all of the music will be canned. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be considering doing this.
  • Options
    Unless you're getting married on the beach or in a construction zone, I think live music can work outside. Again, in the situation I just mentioned with my brother, his wedding was outdoors. There were maybe a hundred to 125 guests, and it was in a courtyard in a park. He was accompanied by harp, and two of his friends also sang a duet, and everything was perfectly audible.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Our hangup is that we would prefer piano music, but there's not a good way to have one out on the lawn. We briefly looked at having a harpist or strings but decided against it.
  • Options
    Portable electric piano? FI and I are doing this because we need to be able to fit any instruments we want to use up a very narrow spiral staircase, and no way are we getting a real piano up there.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think if you can sing and its important to you, then its a sweet idea. FI loves when I sing (I was a musical theatre major for a while in college) and I was actually thinking about doing a "cover" of one of the songs that FI and I were including in our play list (Not the first dance), and then slipping it into the mix without telling anybody other than the DJ (And the people that would be helping me record this). I don't want it announced that its me or anything, but I want to go up to FI while its playing and just whisper that it was me the DJ was playing. He would totally love me doing something like that, but I rarely can get away with surprising him.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    sarah, Portable piano was the original thought, but where to plug it in without having an extension cord running across the grass? I wonder if there are musicians that have quality portable pianos that can run on batteries. Hmmm....
  • Options
    i had a friend who was going to do this and it made me cringe. she has a decent voice and sings at her church, but the whole concept made me feel weird for some reason. she didn't have a professional-quality voice and the thought of it made me embarrassed for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards